SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

A quick Question on the Origins of a Stamped Card. "Best of Hockey"

Hey all! I'm looking for the infinite wisdomers in the hobby to be able to help me out on the Origins of where these Best of Hockey stamped cards came from

This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

IIRC, it was a Leaf buyback product a few years ago.
    99-00 Exclusives: 303/305 (99.3%); 2015-16 OPC Platinum: 1777/2118 (83.9%)
    Hidden Content (Or Hidden Content ) / Hidden Content / Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

It's from a Leaf buyback set.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

Awesome! Thanks guys!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

To call it a buyback is a bit of a misnomer. Let me explain...

Here is what I have heard and pieced together from various posts, card show conversations, and eBay sales:

When Brian Price was in the process of selling his assets at ITG to Brian Gray from Leaf, a bunch of back stock (replacements, extra printing, show promo, etc) had to be dealt with.

At first, or so I have heard, a bunch of this extra stock was sold directly to dealers (ie Detroit Red Wing gold set) but this caused all sorts of anger in the community. Suddenly cards with a print run of 10 had 15 copes showing up. I have only heard of this 3rd hand... and what I have heard is that the amount of cards released was very small and mostly restricted to the Motown set. ITG/Leaf quickly bought back all/most of this stock.

The solution was the various types of stamps added to these cards. There are ones that feature “best of hockey”, Vault 1/1 (in various colours), Martin Brodeur (celebrating his wins record), encased cards, etc etc. Treat these the same way you would the show promo stamps: they are outside of the pack issue population, but are otherwise identical (except the stamp and lack hand numbering on the back).

Collectors are divided on these cards. I enjoy them because I can fill some of the holes in my Red Deer Rebels super collection (down to 34 cards!!). Other collectors didn’t like them because it diluted the overall population of cards and confused a lot of people (especially for those collectors not following ITG closely). The value of these cards are almost universally less than the “pack run” versions. That said, many collectors will but these cards. I would not turn down a Rebels patch card just because it was one of the pink or green “Vault 1/1” versions.

Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always looking for high end Red Deer Rebels Cards and team issued items!

Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Quote Originally Posted by Rraincock
    what I have heard is that the amount of cards released was very small and mostly restricted to the Motown set.

It was pretty widespread throughout all of ITG's cards over the years. While Motown was definitely prolific, there were also dealers who had full sets of Forever Rivals parallels and a lot of other stuff. We had a very big thread about it when stuff was going down. Here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...-back-door-man

Fun times.
    Carey Price fan and collector!

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 246 Unique Cards + 21 1/1's!!!

Updated Trade List: Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Always a nice thing about the search feature on scf you can find old post about various discussions. Thanks for digging it up Richard!

DON
    Great Prices on soft sleeves and top loaders!

Standard Soft sleeves .75 each , Thick Soft Sleeves $1 each, Top Loaders 60 point $2.75 each, Top Loaders 100 point $4, Top Loaders 140 points $2.50 each, Top Loaders 190 point $1.75 each, Top Loaders 240 point $2 each. Prices do not include shipping!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

To call it a buyback is a bit of a misnomer. Let me explain...

Here is what I have heard and pieced together from various posts, card show conversations, and eBay sales:

When Brian Price was in the process of selling his assets at ITG to Brian Gray from Leaf, a bunch of back stock (replacements, extra printing, show promo, etc) had to be dealt with.

At first, or so I have heard, a bunch of this extra stock was sold directly to dealers (ie Detroit Red Wing gold set) but this caused all sorts of anger in the community. Suddenly cards with a print run of 10 had 15 copes showing up. I have only heard of this 3rd hand... and what I have heard is that the amount of cards released was very small and mostly restricted to the Motown set. ITG/Leaf quickly bought back all/most of this stock.

The solution was the various types of stamps added to these cards. There are ones that feature “best of hockey”, Vault 1/1 (in various colours), Martin Brodeur (celebrating his wins record), encased cards, etc etc. Treat these the same way you would the show promo stamps: they are outside of the pack issue population, but are otherwise identical (except the stamp and lack hand numbering on the back).

Collectors are divided on these cards. I enjoy them because I can fill some of the holes in my Red Deer Rebels super collection (down to 34 cards!!). Other collectors didn’t like them because it diluted the overall population of cards and confused a lot of people (especially for those collectors not following ITG closely). The value of these cards are almost universally less than the “pack run” versions. That said, many collectors will but these cards. I would not turn down a Rebels patch card just because it was one of the pink or green “Vault 1/1” versions.

Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was not aware the Leaf Best if Hockey was part of that whole debacle. Interesting.