Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@scottkoz20

Yeah, I figure that too, which is why I am buying as many PSA 10 Cowboys as I can find for $20 or under. I figured, they are already a 10, so it will save me money in the long run to get the 10 now instead of risking getting a lower grade and paying $20. I'll save the $20 cost and risk for the big boy cards that I am willing to take a chance on.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

@scottkoz20

Yeah, I figure that too, which is why I am buying as many PSA 10 Cowboys as I can find for $20 or under. I figured, they are already a 10, so it will save me money in the long run to get the 10 now instead of risking getting a lower grade and paying $20. I'll save the $20 cost and risk for the big boy cards that I am willing to take a chance on.

i am slowing doing this with some baseball and hockey ($20-$30 range) myself

SCF Rewards
    Country

eventually there will be economy and bulk again - so yes, this will happen, but I doubt it will be 12-15 bucks per card - I would anticipate $20 per is going to be the low end cost

I think between now and the spring something is going to happen. Wish I knew what exactly. There's so many moving parts to their equation and PSA's bulk subs are still miles past a year. Once they've caught up and are able to realize their numbers, I think that's when they pull the trigger on the direction they are heading. Something inside me says that cheaper bulk won't be that direction.Even at $20/ea. I don't think is enough to sway them that far off of the $100. They'll have to grade cards over 5-1 just to break even with it. Sure, there's plenty of us like @krunchtyme that sub for PC, but the majority of that market is driven by business. And I don't see lower end 10's pulling enough to do it. I feel like PSA is going to take a "Cadillac" mentality and concentrate on the higher end stuff. Not to say they'll just leave the lower end market to everyone else because it's a mountain of revenue, I just don't see them making it easy. Maybe something like $35/ea. and more needed per sub. Should be interesting.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Mets New York Islanders New York Jets
    See proschoicesports's Items on eBay

Sub has popped. Will be back next week. Pms going out shortly

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

For those that submit, is it better to do a submission in a certain amount? I get that bulk means a reduced rate, but is there a number large enough that it makes sending in coat prohibitive with shipping?

Of the 800+ cards I have stashed away in my to be graded stock, 100 are PC, and the rest are for eBay flipping (Sakic rookies… and that sort of thing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@Rraincock

I've never seen a bulk submission become cost prohibitive with shipping. When I see if I made or lost any money on a submission, I split the cost of shipping out per card. In theory, if you are paying $1 or less per card, then you are doing great. It would cost you $5 on eBay, one at a time.

Even my last submission where I just grabbed a stack of Emmitt Smith, some other Cowboys and some 1989 Score stuff without much regard for condition. (I mean I knew they weren't too bad). I got a PSA 10 Score Rod Woodson RC, that covered the cost of a bunch of cards. The PSA 9's of Tim Brown and Ladainan Tomlinson Rookies covered 4 or 5 more cards. When you factor in what you would have paid for the PC cards , I probably am slightly in the positive with some cards still to go and that included the shipping costs. Are they expensive ...YUP, but like I said, if you split the cost to a per card basis, it gets easy to justify it.

Now if you are planning on funding a vacation house with PSA card sales, I hope it's small and made of card board.... I don't see it. I still don't know how some of the bigger companies consistently have 100's or even thousands of PSA 10's for sale, when I probably average about 20% of a submission as 10's, 20% as 8's and the majority 9's. JoshMets may get better grades than I do. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I review the cards under a large magnifying glass in a very well lit room. I check corners, centering, the gloss. There are cards I see in holders that I wouldn't give a ten, so I know it happens, but still, I don't get a billion 10's.

I heard, and I could be way off, that some of the larger companies are paying somewhere between $5 and $7 a card. They have to have over $50K in sales with PSA to get reduced pricing.

As for bulk submissions...If PSA goes to the $30 per card range. I'm out. I will find a smaller competitor and either start doing submissions through them, or get out of the grading all together. When I started my collection it was about $5 a card. $20 a card is hard to swallow already. $12 to $15 They've got me. More than I want to pay, but in a range I am willing to pay. I mean I just bought 2 PSA 10's om eBay this week and paid about $10 a card and another $5 shipping per card. That is cheaper than if I sent them in myself, so I keep watching and bidding.

The bright side, if PSA goes to high, I'm going to have a nice pay day dumping my 1000+ Dallas Cowboys cards. lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Mets New York Islanders New York Jets
    See proschoicesports's Items on eBay

Lots of great dialogue here. Boy do I miss the days of $8 PSA subs. PSA is still 12months + behind and opening up the $50 economy level. All while card prices plummet. Ive done some CSG subs but the resale value is not there. Right now there is a lot of waiting that needs to happen if you have cards you want to submit. I haven't decided if I'm going to do any Group Subs going forward since there is so little demand, such a high cost, and the headache with constant price changes/closures does not help

Hopefully PSA moves these last few orders quickly so everyone can get cards back sooner than later

Josh

@Rraincock

I've never seen a bulk submission become cost prohibitive with shipping. When I see if I made or lost any money on a submission, I split the cost of shipping out per card. In theory, if you are paying $1 or less per card, then you are doing great. It would cost you $5 on eBay, one at a time.

Even my last submission where I just grabbed a stack of Emmitt Smith, some other Cowboys and some 1989 Score stuff without much regard for condition. (I mean I knew they weren't too bad). I got a PSA 10 Score Rod Woodson RC, that covered the cost of a bunch of cards. The PSA 9's of Tim Brown and Ladainan Tomlinson Rookies covered 4 or 5 more cards. When you factor in what you would have paid for the PC cards , I probably am slightly in the positive with some cards still to go and that included the shipping costs. Are they expensive ...YUP, but like I said, if you split the cost to a per card basis, it gets easy to justify it.

Now if you are planning on funding a vacation house with PSA card sales, I hope it's small and made of card board.... I don't see it. I still don't know how some of the bigger companies consistently have 100's or even thousands of PSA 10's for sale, when I probably average about 20% of a submission as 10's, 20% as 8's and the majority 9's. JoshMets may get better grades than I do. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I review the cards under a large magnifying glass in a very well lit room. I check corners, centering, the gloss. There are cards I see in holders that I wouldn't give a ten, so I know it happens, but still, I don't get a billion 10's.

I heard, and I could be way off, that some of the larger companies are paying somewhere between $5 and $7 a card. They have to have over $50K in sales with PSA to get reduced pricing.

As for bulk submissions...If PSA goes to the $30 per card range. I'm out. I will find a smaller competitor and either start doing submissions through them, or get out of the grading all together. When I started my collection it was about $5 a card. $20 a card is hard to swallow already. $12 to $15 They've got me. More than I want to pay, but in a range I am willing to pay. I mean I just bought 2 PSA 10's om eBay this week and paid about $10 a card and another $5 shipping per card. That is cheaper than if I sent them in myself, so I keep watching and bidding.

The bright side, if PSA goes to high, I'm going to have a nice pay day dumping my 1000+ Dallas Cowboys cards. lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@Joshmets31

For me, PSA needs to come back with a lower price (around $12-15 a card) or I will just go back to a raw collection, or find a new grader, that is both trust-worthy and affordable.

I like the cases for both SGC and Beckett better than PSA, I just had started with PSA, so I stuck with them. If they price themselves out of the market I'll change. I may change anyways...Guys are constantly hitting me uof for my PSA 10 Triplets and high grade vintage cards. It is getting to the point where it may be worth selling at the crazy prices and buy a bunch of raw and try again...possibly with a newer company.

What are others thinking?

SCF Rewards
    Country

@Joshmets31

For me, PSA needs to come back with a lower price (around $12-15 a card) or I will just go back to a raw collection, or find a new grader, that is both trust-worthy and affordable.

I like the cases for both SGC and Beckett better than PSA, I just had started with PSA, so I stuck with them. If they price themselves out of the market I'll change. I may change anyways...Guys are constantly hitting me uof for my PSA 10 Triplets and high grade vintage cards. It is getting to the point where it may be worth selling at the crazy prices and buy a bunch of raw and try again...possibly with a newer company.

What are others thinking?

Where I only collect 1 set from 1 year, my plans may not work for most others. On the whole, most of the collection is raw. I do sub or purchase graded on a few higher end refractors/autos/stars. Even the gold refractors are all graded no matter who the player is. Lately I've been finding myself just buying gold refractor PSA 10's cheaper than the grading cost......let alone the cost of the card itself. Now the 9's are getting so cheap (excluding some of the top 8 or 9 players) that I can find them cheaper than raw. That is sort of blowing my mind. I've got a stack of 9's that I would probably break out of the cases if I were selling today. As a straight set-builder, I love the current market and hope it keeps crashing. Like I said though, my plan may not work for most others.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123