Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

The Goalie Who Surrendered Sidney Crosby's First Goal? New Museum Addition!

Here is our newest addition to the museum collection!

The goalie that we added today has been at the top of my wantlist for quite sometime. Why? In his debut year, I thought he looked like the best up and coming goalie in the NHL. Fast, acrobatic, and able to make those key stops, I thought he would be a huge deal for years to come. Unfortunately, an injury in his rookie year completely derailed the path that he was poised for.

Born on May 18, 1984 in Kalvola, Finland, Hannu Toivonen put himself on the hockey radar after a strong World Junior Championship in 2002, posting a 0.930% save average in 5 games played. Drafted 29th overall by the Boston Bruins in 2002, he turned pro the following season and played an amazing season for Providence. During the lockout year, he somehow topped all of his previous numbers and led Providence to the Conference Finals of the AHL playoffs.

In 2005-06, he did it. He made the NHL roster right out of training camp. He made his NHL debut on October 8, 2005 against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Despite stopping only 23 of 29 shots, he and the Bruins won the game 7-6 in overtime. What was most notable in that game was that Sidney Crosby scored his first career goal against Toivonen. Toivonen improved as the season progressed, showing his athletic prowess until January 5, 2006, when he suffered an ankle injury and had to miss the rest of the season. In 20 games that year, he recorded 9 wins, a shutout, and a 0.914% save average. The next year, he was set to continue his role as the number two goalie behind Tim Thomas. Unfortunately, he was no longer the same goalie. In 18 games, he posted a weak 4.23GAA to go along with a 0.875% save average, getting him sent back to the minors. He was traded to St. Louis in 2007 and things did not improve much. In 23 games with them, he recorded only 6 wins and a 3.44GAA with a 0.878% save average. He returned to Europe in 2008-09 before heading back to North America the next year. He was eventually traded to the Chicago Blackhawks where he dressed as a backup for a game in 2010, but otherwise spent his entire time in the AHL. He once again headed back to Europe in 2011-12, then returned once again, struggling for the next two seasons in the AHL and ECHL. He bounced around various European leagues until one final return to the ECHL in 2018-19, where he appeared in 9 games for the Maine Mariners. He retired at the end of that season.

In his NHL career, Hannu Toivonen appeared in 61 NHL games, recording an 18-24-10 record with a 3.37GAA, 1 shutout, and a 0.890% save average. He played no NHL playoff games.

What you are looking at right now is a 2005-06 Boston Bruins Black/Home Set 1 jersey (1 of 2 home set 1s that he wore) used by Hannu Toivonen in his rookie season. It was worn in up to five games, including his first and only career shutout on December 1, 2005. Wear is light but is comprised of some light puck and stick marks, as well as an urepaired hole on the front.

Acquired from: Private collector, includes Meigray and Game Worn Auctions LOA

Dates of Game Use:
    October 27, 2005 v Toronto (36-37, 2-1W)
    November 3, 2005 v Florida (29-30, 4-1W)
    December 1, 2005 v Ottawa (26-26, 3-0W)
    December 22, 2005 v Toronto (26-27, 4-1W)
    January 2, 2006 v Philadelphia (20-21, 1-0L)

Photomatched: Not yet.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Awesome piece Bruce
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Love it! Great back story too.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Very cool thanks for sharing the new addition.

Don