Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (87)
    Country

Hello! Been a long time, looking for advice.

Hello,

I was an active collector in the 2000s and took an extended break. I am writing today to asked your advice on a card I bought recently that arrived today from a VERY well know Ebayer. There was no mention of the damage I will show in the picture below (film seems to be peeling back. Corner not really bent?):

If you look at the bottom right corner you can see peeling back on the corner. The rest of the card looks pretty good. I was hope Kong to send into BGS or PSA to at least get it slabbed. Any advice? Should I send back seeing this was not mentioned in the listing? I paid over 2k. Unsure how either grading service would look at this type of defect?

Here are pictures from the listing.

Thank you in advance for some advice.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

I’ll give my honest thoughts. The pealing corner is noticeable in the photos from the eBay listing. This takes the seller off the hook. Photos are part of the description. It’s up to the buyer to look carefully. That said it never hurts to ask the seller if you can return it for a refund. The seller if they accept will probably require you to return the card then refund the money. I’d make sure to send it back with tracking and deliver confirmation and probably insurance to protect your self.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (87)
    Country

I’ll give my honest thoughts. The pealing corner is noticeable in the photos from the eBay listing. This takes the seller off the hook. Photos are part of the description. It’s up to the buyer to look carefully. That said it never hurts to ask the seller if you can return it for a refund. The seller if they accept will probably require you to return the card then refund the money. I’d make sure to send it back with tracking and deliver confirmation and probably insurance to protect your self.

Do you have any experience with PSA or BGS? What part of the card would this effect? The front is fine, and the back looks alright (except the one corner), corners are sharp on the front also. Would this be a surface or corner issue?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do have some experience and mainly it’s all PSA. I do have a few Beckett and SGC cards I have bough but I’m a “PSA guy”. Not sure how any company will look at this exactly. My thoughts are even though it’s the corner of the card it does appear it’s the surface. When submitting cards I always assume the worst grade and hope for the best. Even when I think a card looks perfect I count on getting a 9. I’m a bit pessimistic with this stuff.

Have you contacted and asked the seller what he is willing to do? If you don’t want the card many sellers are more than willing to work with you. Some just don’t care

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (87)
    Country

I am going to contact the seller and asked what they are will to do. I did notice a issue on the photos, but I did not think it looked like the corner film was folded back over.

I was hoping to get a 9 also. I am just unsure about this because I haven’t came across this issue. I would be happy with an 8 grade now, I am just worried on what part of the card would be graded (surface or corner, both more then likely). It is a shame because beside this issue it is a beautiful card. Auto could use work, but that’s a common issue with Rookie year mahomes autos lol.

If nothing can be done, would you send it in? I really just want it slabbed for my PC, but if I just get it authenticated would that hurt the value? It has been awhile, sorry for so many questions.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If it’s for your PC than I wouldn’t worry much. It will grade better than “Authentic” as long as the card hasn’t been trimmed or altered. If the front surface is really good (something I could never tell from pictures) you could expect a 7 or 8. Once again just my opinions. We have a few others on the forum who will chime in and are good with their words and can explain their thoughts better than I can. @krunchtyme is one of those

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (87)
    Country

Thank you for your honest opinion! I am of two minds. I really wanted a Rated Rookie auto but I cannot afford the rarer ones. This one has sold a few different times from the seller, this being the cheapest, and I bid before just losing to the highest bid at the time. So maybe it is a blessing I got it cheaper then I would the first couple times?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (87)
    Country

@FireRob ; does using the @ sign let you know that I mentioned you? I am learning his all over again!

SCF Rewards
    Country

@FireRob ; does using the @ sign let you know that I mentioned you? I am learning his all over again!

yes using the @ symbol before the name will alert you that you where mentioned in a post. It helps get the attention of someone you want to read a post or just in case not everyone checks back and reads a post after a while. This should alert you @johnashleyjacob

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@johnashleyjacob, @FireRob

Wow, nice card!

I read the thread and looked at the photos. In my opinion, you are looking at a 6/7 range. Assume the 6. Look at the Dez Rookie Auto in the picture below. If you can find anything that would make this a 6 let me know. In short, PSA will see the corner and definitely down grade, EVEN IF IT IS THE BACK. Like FireRob said, Assume the low grade and hope for a high grade. Is it worth sending in? That is 100% up to you. With the Dez, the card is worth more on the open market unslabbed than slabbed. In my collection, it is worth more to me slabbed, then not slabbed. If I get a second one, I'll grade that one too! and hope for the best.

If you look at this page from PSA and the video at the bottom of the screen, although they do not talk about the reverse very often, they do count the back of cards in the overall grade: https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards Some perfect examples are "staining" and "marks". In the examples shown, they downgraded these cards and gave them qualifiers for issues on the back (the reverse). So, you can assume, they are going to do the same thing with your Mahomes. The reverse is not a 50/50 with the back, but it does affect the overall grade. Still an amazing card to have!!!!! Hope this helps.

That peel looks like they did it when they put it into the plastic penny sleeve.

Here is the Dez:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast