Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

3 American Hockey League teams opt out of season, 28 to play

The American Hockey League will go ahead with 28 teams this season after announcing Monday that three have opted out of playing because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Based on the information I was getting, I wasn't sure we were going to reach 28 teams even two weeks ago, but I think some of the teams got excited and found a way to make it work," AHL president and CEO Scott Howson said by phone. "It's a good day for the AHL, except for the three that can't participate and obviously we know their reasons and they're legitimate and they'll move on and plan for '21-22."
    https://www.startribune.com/3-americ...lay/600006742/

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

We're going to get NHL hockey, but for development - the season is going to be a mess.

I'm sure each of the parent clubs will find other AHL teams to send some of their players to.... but the rest - likely just taking the year off. It mentions that the Blues have already worked out something with Vancouver, so some of the players that would have gone to Springfield will go to Utica instead.

It probably doesn't hurt the Canucks org at all. Utica will just have fewer direct signings (most AHL clubs do employ players that are signed by the AHL team, and NOT the NHL club).

Jon Gillies, the (in theory) AHL starter for St. Louis won't get to play nearly as much. I suspect most Blues prospects will find themselves in depth roles.

Same thing will happen to Nashville & Florida prospects, if they do get an agreement elsewhere.

This says nothing of the fact that the CHL isn't playing right now, and I suspect won't.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

That's brutal for development. Man, Didn't think this would happen. Pro hockey should be a go if teams in the NHL are playing.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's brutal for development. Man, Didn't think this would happen. Pro hockey should be a go if teams in the NHL are playing.

The ECHL, last I heard, has 8 teams that have opted out of playing.

I'd be willing to bet you that there are several NHL owners who would be happier taking the season off, than playing with no fans.

I looked up Springfield specifically, but I'm guessing this applies to all three clubs: They're owned locally, not by the parent club. The owners likely stand to lose FAR less money if they simply don't play.

Why does the NHL get to play, but the OHL doesn't? (that's asked around these parts, quite a bit). It's all about money. The NHL can afford to spend millions on rapid testing, and ensuring that players are as isolated from the public as possible. The OHL (or CHL, if we're talking about the larger league), plus any minor pro teams.... they're all in the same boat. They don't have the resources to do it "safely", test players daily, and there is no alternate revenue source to the gates.

Even the NHL is going to be hurting. I would expect that well over half the teams in the league will be in the red this year, and that's after the players have to take a greatly reduced salary. People complaining about adds on helmets, and sponsor names being rolled into the divisions. They're trying to get whatever they can, so they can loose less.

I'm betting on a small patch on the right breast of the jersey next year, and maybe a name-plate sized banner on the bottom of the back of it.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The ECHL, last I heard, has 8 teams that have opted out of playing.

I'd be willing to bet you that there are several NHL owners who would be happier taking the season off, than playing with no fans.

I looked up Springfield specifically, but I'm guessing this applies to all three clubs: They're owned locally, not by the parent club. The owners likely stand to lose FAR less money if they simply don't play.

Why does the NHL get to play, but the OHL doesn't? (that's asked around these parts, quite a bit). It's all about money. The NHL can afford to spend millions on rapid testing, and ensuring that players are as isolated from the public as possible. The OHL (or CHL, if we're talking about the larger league), plus any minor pro teams.... they're all in the same boat. They don't have the resources to do it "safely", test players daily, and there is no alternate revenue source to the gates.

Even the NHL is going to be hurting. I would expect that well over half the teams in the league will be in the red this year, and that's after the players have to take a greatly reduced salary. People complaining about adds on helmets, and sponsor names being rolled into the divisions. They're trying to get whatever they can, so they can loose less.

I'm betting on a small patch on the right breast of the jersey next year, and maybe a name-plate sized banner on the bottom of the back of it.

We shall see if your patches come to be.

DON

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I wouldn't be surprised if the chest and/or banner logo on the back eventually does come to the NHL. Even before the pandemic, it was only a matter of time to be honest...

I will admit that is would bother me a little if we start seeing these logos on the jersey (It's been in the AHL for awhile now, too), but bigger and more financially equipped leagues have been doing this and the fans have accepted it. I'm sure most fans from other sports wouldn't even think twice about it today.

Basketball in recent memory, and soccer has had massive sponsorships on the front of the jersey's for decades now, and they are the most popular sport in the world.

I truly think Ads are coming whether we like it or not.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wouldn't be surprised if the chest and/or banner logo on the back eventually does come to the NHL. Even before the pandemic, it was only a matter of time to be honest...

I will admit that is would bother me a little if we start seeing these logos on the jersey (It's been in the AHL for awhile now, too), but bigger and more financially equipped leagues have been doing this and the fans have accepted it. I'm sure most fans from other sports wouldn't even think twice about it today.

Basketball in recent memory, and soccer has had massive sponsorships on the front of the jersey's for decades now, and they are the most popular sport in the world.

I truly think Ads are coming whether we like it or not.

I don't follow the "chatter" nearly as much, with other leagues..... but hockey fans always seem very conservative to me. In general, fans don't like change. They don't want anything new. Any suggestion that things could (or should) be different gets people upset.

Having said that, NHL jerseys look great. They're colorful, have a giant logo in the middle. You can buy "hockey style" jerseys of teams that play other sports (baseball, basketball, football) but I've never seen a New York Rangers baseball jersey, or an LA Kings basketball jersey (etc).

I suspect there's some fear of backlash... and the backlash will come. I think you're bang on. It was only a matter of time. I think the "no-tuck" rule that was brought in a few years ago was specifically because of this. They were eyeing banners on that part of the jersey.

To be honest, I don't care. Not even a little bit. Please keep the logos, names, numbers, and letters where they are - but sell the rest of the thing to anyone who wants to buy it. Doesn't matter to me in the least, I won't pay any attention to the adds anyway.

Soccer, like you said, is the world's #1 sport. A good friend of mine was born in England (moved here when he was just a kid). He has followed his home-town team ever since.... and has a relative send him a new jersey every couple of years, because that's how often they change the major sponsor - thus he always wants "the current one". I remember another friend laughing about it.... "that's how they get you. Have to keep buying new ones". I pointed out that the NHL does the same thing too, they just don't use adds. There's always a "new" jersey every couple of years to buy.

They'll all look like this soon enough :)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

Great example about your English friend. Yes, I too have had soccer friends who need the new sponsor on the jersey. I totally get it.

While I would not like the sponsorship logos on the jersey, I think they'll do it full well knowing of the backlash it will cause. But the NHL will not care, because it's a very for-profit move and I see why the NHL would open up the jersey to sell ad space for the highest dollar amount in premium spots. Besides, after decades of doing this (see: soccer), people will not care & the NHL knows this.

Short term pain (public backlash, maybe a small drop in jersey sales for the year) for long-term gain ($$$$$$$$) will be the plan, I think.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 01-08-2021 at 06:16 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

My 2 cents: St Louis needs to buy their own AHL team. How many times in the last 4 years have they had huge turnover in their AHL situation? Too often in my opinion.

I would struggle buying a jersey for USD$200 (authentic) jersey that had ads all over it. Why should I pay that much just so a brand can get the enjoyment of having a walking billboard? Give me something of value if you're going to ad the ads. (P.s. I do have 2 Palmeiras soccer jerseys, but I got those on super clearance)