Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Share Your In Person Stories Good and Bad

Good: Warren Spahn - One of the best autograph experiences I ever had. Mr. Spahn lived in Oklahoma, the same state as me. My brother and I, both kids at the time, would often bump into Mr. Spahn at the mall, or grocery store, or local card shop! Everytime he saw us he would say with a big smile "Hey Boys how's school? He'd take time hear from us and joke with us as well. He would sign our index cards or pieces of paper (But if we knew he'd be there ahead of time we would bring ball cards, hats, and baseballs.) He was really gracious man and is very much missed.

Bad: Michael Jordan - Not my own story but one that I was told by my school pal Donny. He was from Chicago and apart of an underprivileged kids group home. One summer they scheduled an inspirational day billed as "A Day With MJ". The kids were bused to a school gymnasium, where they were told that Michael Jordan would come and speak to them and sign their ball cards or hats. Donny and a group of about 25-30 kids were chosen for this event due to their background and good grades. It was being billed as some "inspiring moment" for the kids to stay focused on the future despite their surroundings. The kids, who were aged 5-12 were made to wait some 3 hours, while a man in charge repeatedly told them Jordan was stuck in traffic but on his way. Eventually MJ showed up in a golf outfit and track jacket, as he walked in the gym he said "Lets get this over take your picture". The kids were rushed to line up, Donny was upfront next to MJ, he brought a Bulls hat to be signed. MJ smiled for the picture. After the photo was taken, Donny with his ball cap in hand spoke up "Mr. Jordan, may I have your autograph?" MJ smiled and leaned down to Donny and replied "I dont sign for chumps". Then turned and left. Donny said he thinks the event lasted all of 1 minute.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Best Pete Gray was a local major league baseball player that lost his right arm when he was young but didn't stop him from playing mlb for the browns. I was honored to spend almost three hours with this man. The stories he told was amazing and just talking about how the game was back in the mid 40s.

Worst was Carlton Fisk waited in line almost three hours for him to show up. Which he was late and didnt want anything to do with the fans that paid to see him he ended up departing before everyone got a chance to see him. He was very rude to a few younger fans in line. Just a complete you know what

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves

These really stand out for me. I grew up near Atlanta and had great experiences with many late 80's and early 90's Braves players. Dale Murphy was the best. He was always willing to spend time to talk and sign.

Good: Dale Murphy, Ron Gant, Tom Glavine, Tony Gwynn, Alex Cole, Francisco Lindor, Jeff Francoeur, David Wells, Andy Pettitte. Probably many more, but these stand out.

Bad or disappointing to my younger self: Deion Sanders, Marvin Freeman, Mariano Rivera, Hank Aaron. Such disappointment that they declined. *Hank Aaron did pose for a picture but would have been great if he signed. *Mariano took my ball and handed it back.

SCF Rewards
    Country

the good: Doug Gilmour, Darcy Tucker, Curtis Joseph: all are always nice and generous, all class. Wayne Gretzky is also super friendly, he was happy to sign my cheap hockey card at his book signing.

the not so good: Ken Dryden - not very friendly, doesn't seem to like to engage with fans. At his book signing, he wanted to personalize each of the books I bought, and at first didn't want to sign my hockey card ("I don't have the right pen").

the so-s0: Gary Leeman is generally generous but refuses to sign any hockey cards with him in a Habs uniform, in an effort to control anyone who attempts to get a team set signed