Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

Price increases rant thread (series 2)

I went to place my pre-order for series 2 today and was punched in the face by my computer monitor

Series 2 is typically (literally every single year since I started collecting) between $89.99-99.99 CDN for a hobby box. This year it's $120-130 everywhere AND sold out as a pre-order from the places I like to boot

That is just sooooo much money for an entry-level "have fun building the set" kind of product like that. It's really frustrating as the value is never there in terms of the cards being worth money and at that price point (flirts with $150/box with tax) it just becomes too much for me to enjoy building the set
    (@2broscollection - might be interested in buying a base + young guns set this time around)

blah - anyone want to join the pity party with me?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I'm new to the hobby so I can't speak to other years, but I did notice that the price has already gone up this year. When I first looked, the price was $107. I ended up buying it a week later at $116 or $118. Looks like you're right about things being sold out, but it looks like now it would be another $10-$20 (before taxes) if you did find a box. That seems crazy to me considering the short time frame and the fact that we're still pre-ordering, lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Well at least it's not like Prizm football. A hobby box was going for $1500.
    The hobby is on fire. If you hit the right players you can make a profit but not so great if you are a set collector I suppose.
    Overall it seems like a fun time in the hobby to see star hockey rookies catching up to the other sports.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yeah basically UD upped the price per pack by a dollar. 24 packs/box = $24 increase. It sucks for a lot of collectors, especially the younger ones and those with a more limited budget.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues

Artifacts is probably going to hit at $125 US. That is way high in my opinion. I hope prices start to settle as things get to normal to fix the supply part of the issue.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Yeah, the pricing increase isn't fun. The demand for wax is just crazy in 20-21.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

this will be the first time since 14-15 that i don't buy any wax i think - i'm going to look for the set and just buy it which is super boring and not one bit fun or why I joined the hobby - but I can't let my series 1 set live alone. If the price increase was before series 1 i would have just skipped till next year

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (48)
    Country

this will be the first time since 14-15 that i don't buy any wax i think - i'm going to look for the set and just buy it which is super boring and not one bit fun or why I joined the hobby - but I can't let my series 1 set live alone. If the price increase was before series 1 i would have just skipped till next year

I think I am going to do the same thing, just buy the 251-500 set off ebay in a few months. What rookies are in Series 2 that is driving the price up?
    Current Wantlist:
    Hidden Content

Traders:
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I think I am going to do the same thing, just buy the 251-500 set off ebay in a few months. What rookies are in Series 2 that is driving the price up?

Stutzle, Zegras, Cozens, Kaprisov, Byfield etc

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Last month I bought an 82-83 wax pack for about 15-20 dollars

That same wax pack is now selling for about 70 bucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast