Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Canadian Division

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

All Canadian Division

I saw that @jameslacarte had started a thread about the Canadian division.... and after it turned into a Leafs vs Habs conversation, he closed it himself.

I'll start it back up again, but will just share my thoughts on the Division. James, join in if you like :)

First, I recognize that it was necessary. It was a smart way to get the government in Canada to buy into their return to play plan. It had to be done.

I don't find anything about lumping all 7 Canadian teams into the same division to be particularly exciting in and of itself.

Edmonton vs Calgary & Vancouver are always exciting games. I get about as excited for a game vs Winnipeg as I do for a game vs Florida, or Arizona. Same with Ottawa. The fact that those two clubs happen to be based in the same country as my favorite team, does nothing to make those games extra exciting.

Most of my friends are either Habs fans or Leaf fans. That makes those games more fun normally, and this year will be no different.

There is no reason to keep this division going forward. They'll revert back to doing things by Timezone (they should). I do hope this leads to a more unbalanced schedule going forward. I'd prefer to see clubs play their own division six times a season... and the other conference just once.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The Sportsnet guys had a rare nugget of wisdom the other day during the Habs/Leafs game, pointing out that you only have to beat 8 teams all year to win the Stanley Cup this season. The regular season games are all intra-division, the first two playoffs rounds are intra-division, and then the final four is the only time teams will see opponents from outside their own division. Pretty crazy.

Anyways, I'm fully embracing this Canadian Division and look forward to our Montreal overlords. I really had wished that the Government of Canada had come up with some sort of fun one-off trophy/award of some kind to crown the division winner for the season. I know it's not going to motivate the players any extra, but that bit of bragging rights for the fans will almost certainly come up, as if we need our passions engaged any further.

I've enjoyed the games the first two nights so far. I'm super bummed that five days from now the Habs have three games in Vancouver and I can't go to any of them. LOL Normally that would be a week off work to enjoy the big city and probably three victories in front of a partisan crowd.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I completely agree with you (almost). Games between some of the teams don't peak my interest much, and I also agree that once is enough. However, I am pretty excited about the North Division this year. I think it'll be awesome to see rivals play against each other so many times! Hopefully I can handle the stress of the Leafs vs Habs games, haha! As for the other rivalries, I'll be watching a ton of games this year :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I see that the thread regarding the Leafs was quickly closed so I will chime in here. The Sportsnet guys have to constantly say nice things about the Leafs or they will find themselves looking for a new job; however, once we are a couple of weeks into the season and teams stop taking stupid penalties the Leafs are in big trouble, because all they have is their PP. In reality the Leafs only have three good D-men and the other three belong in the minors. Any questions.
    Last edited by piper1; 01-16-2021 at 12:39 PM.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I see that the thread regarding the Leafs was quickly closed so I will chime in here. The Sportsnet guys have to constantly say nice things about the Leafs or they will find themselves looking for a new job; however, once we are a couple of weeks into the season and teams stop taking stupid penalties the Leafs are in big trouble, because all they have is their PP. In reality the Leafs only have three good D-men and the other three belong in the minors. Any questions.

Which one of their big 5 forwards would you trade for a top pair D-man?

SCF Rewards
    Country

The fancy figure skater who isn't willing to pay the price and go to the net. He doesn't seem to backcheck either but Shanahan seems to think very highly of him.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

The fancy figure skater who isn't willing to pay the price and go to the net. He doesn't seem to backcheck either but Shanahan seems to think very highly of him.

Nylander? I am only guessing as I don't watch many Leaf games.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Some great games last night--that Habs-Oilers contest was a clinic by Montreal. Carey was dialed in the whole game. I will not get too cocky about it, as the Oilers looked bad on opening night and then stormed back with McDavid popping a hatty in game 2. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself tomorrow night.

Congrats to Stutzle on his first NHL goal. Wild finish in that Ottawa-Toronto game.

Didn't watch too much of the Calgary-Vancouver game. Not the Canucks best night. They'll need to bounce back and I'm sure they will. Flames were strong.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Some great games last night--that Habs-Oilers contest was a clinic by Montreal. Carey was dialed in the whole game. I will not get too cocky about it, as the Oilers looked bad on opening night and then stormed back with McDavid popping a hatty in game 2. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself tomorrow night.

Congrats to Stutzle on his first NHL goal. Wild finish in that Ottawa-Toronto game.

Didn't watch too much of the Calgary-Vancouver game. Not the Canucks best night. They'll need to bounce back and I'm sure they will. Flames were strong.

Romanov is the real deal.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Out of curiosity.... who is the 5th big forward? (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares being the big 4..... who do you have as #5 ?).

While I do not believe that any of those four are getting moved anytime soon, I suspect you could get a very good defeceman for Nylander, you could get a superstar for Matthews, but I can't see the other two getting a real top-pairing guy, unless they're after someone a little bit older, who has already started to decline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast