Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

PayPal: Possible Stupid Question

Okay, so I have been with PayPal for some 12 years. I have transferred, paid and received money thousands of times.

So I sold cards to someone in USA who sent me $11 USD in the mail. His cards did not arrive and would like a refund. Whatever, no big deal. However, I try to send him money and PayPal is charging me $2.99 to send him money ???

When did this start ? Or am I just stupid?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Master List: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This has been going on for a long time....

I assume you don't have a balance? PP charges to convert you money. I think if you're paying from a bank account, there's no way around it. If you're paying using a credit card - there might be a way to get it to simply charge you in USD (pay your bank to do it, it's FAR cheaper). I don't think so though.

Over the years, I have really liked Paypal, and I like the layer of insulation between my bank account & credit card.... and eBay. With eBay getting rid of Paypal - I'm guessing it will be later this year when I'll be done with Paypal too. The fees are far too high for what they do, and if eBay sales won't be able to accumulate in my PayPal account, I'm not sure what the point of it will be anymore.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

This has been going on for a long time....

I assume you don't have a balance? PP charges to convert you money. I think if you're paying from a bank account, there's no way around it. If you're paying using a credit card - there might be a way to get it to simply charge you in USD (pay your bank to do it, it's FAR cheaper). I don't think so though.

Over the years, I have really liked Paypal, and I like the layer of insulation between my bank account & credit card.... and eBay. With eBay getting rid of Paypal - I'm guessing it will be later this year when I'll be done with Paypal too. The fees are far too high for what they do, and if eBay sales won't be able to accumulate in my PayPal account, I'm not sure what the point of it will be anymore.

You will still be able to pay with PayPal, just not receiclve payments into your PayPal account. Using it to pay gives you an extra layer of protection as a buyer. Example: Ebay has a 30 day money back guarantee, PayPal has 180 days.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I have a balance though, this is what confuses me. I was also unaware of eBay cutting ties with PayPal.

Anyways, I tried paying him in CAD from my PayPal balance and it is still charging me $2.99? Really... I have done this probably within the last 2 weeks and never seen this before.

Okay... so I just paid him NOT with Friends & Family and the charge is gone. So I am assuming because I am sending from a Canadian account to an American account it was charging me. I imagine this started when Canada became an international country to USA when postage became ridiculous as well.

Well, case closed I guess.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

You will still be able to pay with PayPal, just not receiclve payments into your PayPal account. Using it to pay gives you an extra layer of protection as a buyer. Example: Ebay has a 30 day money back guarantee, PayPal has 180 days.

I'm not worried about protection as a buyer. I have 1000s of transactions on eBay, and I believe I've filed a Paypal claim once.

I'm far more concerned about protection as a seller, and having the extra layer there. If I sell a card for $200 on eBay - and eBay puts the money into my bank account.... if the buyer files a claim 29 days later, eBay will take the money directly from my account. I'd rather they be taking it from a paypal account - and if goes into the red, I'll deal with that.

If money from sales I've made can't be pooled up, I likely won't use paypal much anymore.

I have a balance though, this is what confuses me. I was also unaware of eBay cutting ties with PayPal.

Anyways, I tried paying him in CAD from my PayPal balance and it is still charging me $2.99? Really... I have done this probably within the last 2 weeks and never seen this before.

Okay... so I just paid him NOT with Friends & Family and the charge is gone. So I am assuming because I am sending from a Canadian account to an American account it was charging me. I imagine this started when Canada became an international country to USA when postage became ridiculous as well.

Well, case closed I guess.

This makes a little more sense..... though he might be getting dinged with a $2.99 change on the other end. I'm curious how much he actually gets in his account.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

How will it work to receive payments?
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

How will it work to receive payments?

Ebay calls it "managed payments". They will be the payment processor, not PayPal. Ebay will deposit your payments directly into your chequing account. The downside is it takes a few days to get it. The plus side is if you have to refund someone you get all of your seller's fees back. PayPal didn't do that. The ebay fees will be increasing, and the PayPal fees will obviously disappear. Overall the fees will be roughly the same (some cases a little higher, some a little lower). If you haven't received a message from ebay about it, you will soon. I have to switch by providing a chequing account number by Feb 13, or I can no longer sell.
    Last edited by subban7677; 01-20-2021 at 06:52 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Ebay calls it "managed payments". They will be the payment processor, not PayPal. Ebay will deposit your payments directly into your chequing account. The downside is it takes a few days to get it. The plus side is if you have to refund someone you get all of your seller's fees back. PayPal didn't do that. The ebay fees will be increasing, and the PayPal fees will obviously disappear. Overall the fees will be roughly the same (some cases a little higher, some a little lower). If you haven't received a message from ebay about it, you will soon. I have to switch by providing a chequing account number by Feb 13, or I can no longer sell.

Thank you for the explanation. I only sold a few items on eBay over the years. If I start selling again, I'll have to update how I do it! :)