Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Done Upper Deck

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well Done Upper Deck

As someone who had been buying your hockey products for 30 years I want to congratulate you for finally curing my addiction to breaking hockey card boxes. Keep on increasing those prices and reducing the content and soon you will have this Canadian addiction completely cured.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

I agree, I have been a collector for a very long time and have enjoyed the hobby very much at times, but recently I have not. The product is not better at times and the prices are just going up and up. Also getting hard to trade and buy from other collectors.
    I find myself in the position lately that I will either just take a long break from it all or just stop collecting altogether. I dont have the same fun and excitment about the hobby as I have and did in the past.

jim

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah i hear you!! $60 for a Tin now that was $40 not that long ago. Im done buying too, its cheaper just to buy the cards i want on EBay.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree, I have been a collector for a very long time and have enjoyed the hobby very much at times, but recently I have not. The product is not better at times and the prices are just going up and up. Also getting hard to trade and buy from other collectors.
    I find myself in the position lately that I will either just take a long break from it all or just stop collecting altogether. I dont have the same fun and excitment about the hobby as I have and did in the past.

jim

At least I still enjoy and get plenty of trades.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See G0SHARKSG0's Items on eBay

I'm in the exact same boat. Haven't opened any products this year (2020-21 products) and I can't even remember the last time I opened a box (maybe early last year).

It makes no sense spending 200$ for a box of Artifacts when I can buy more than I would get on the secondary market plus I can choose only Sharks hits.

My itch to break is completely gone and I'm spending much less than I used to. Harder to make trades when I never have new cards but I still enjoy buying the cards I like

SCF Rewards
    Country

I can proudly say I have not bought any wax in 6 months. Hi my name is ...... Seems like I should be saying it like that! I really love opening boxes, it truly is an addicting thrill and you can't beat the rush of hitting a really nice card. Of course that is offset by the countless gut punches of the stinker boxes and pulling maybe $20 worth from a $100 + box. No I'm not in it for the money, I keep what I pull. But the realization of 1 good box to 10 bad boxes, well I can simply take that cash and buy whatever big hit I was hoping for, or buy the complete set, or just a bunch of nice cards. My collection was growing way too big with 100s/1,000s of cards worth pennies. Now it grows with way fewer cards, but cards I choose.

Now I will say someone needs to bust those boxes, or those sets and singles simply won't be available. What UD is doing with this money grab, along with some resellers capitalizing, is going to price some of this out of the market. We are at a weird point in this hobby, prices have skyrocketed to unseen levels and I don't know what is going to happen. There will come a correction, and maybe some of this overpriced wax will sit and eventually price correct.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

i'm not quite at quitting-stage - but I'm close.

The prices and quality of the wax is embarassing. I'm absolutely not buying into series 2 at the cost of wax for it - and that'll be the first time in many years that I don't buy a few boxes of series 1 or 2 (i did buy series 1 this year)

Tim Hortons actually makes sense from a cost-perspective - maybe i'll just shift to only collecting that

i also DGAF if it's UD vs distributors vs retailers ultimately causing the cost increase either - I blame UD for not controlling it like manufacturers do in just about any other industry
    Last edited by Stryfex; 01-21-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

As a collector who rarely, if ever, breaks boxes, I can only imagine how it must have been to see these crazy box prices these last year +.

Another reason to just collect what you like and you'll never make a "bad" purchase in this hobby. I'd rather take box breaking money and turn that into pure PC cards. Simple, but it works for me.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

I'm picking up retail wax during sales. I got a few older Parkhurst fat packs for Christmas, and I have a bunch of 19-20 UD1 mega boxes on my shellf. I'll be slowly opening them. But, hobby wax at boosted prices? Count me out!! Usually, I was spending several hundreds during the Black Friday Sales on older wax, there were no good sales last november, so I kept my money!

I'm trying to trade, but most set building is dead, people are all collecting the same bunch of rookies.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Tampa Bay Lightning Pittsburgh Penguins

I'm with you on that. Plus sitting at home through this pandemic has made me realize that my collection is way too big and taking up way too much space anyways. That being said, now is definitely a sellers market if you're looking to unload stuff. Even on Kijiji, which is usually bargain bin prices, I've been getting good value for what amounts to inserts and lower end product rookies

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast