Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Michael Jordan 86 Fleer Rookie Grading Question

Hello all, first post to this forum. I collected sports cards when I was younger, primarily football and basketball, and for several years my Dad would buy me a set of cards for my birthday. Included in those was the Fleer 1986 basketball set (thanks Dad!).

These have been on the shelf for 34 years and I'm getting back into the hobby and educating myself on grading, value etc. A question I have to the board relates to a couple of minor imperfections on the backside of my Jordan rookie, specifically some tiny red ink splotches in the upper border. Pictures of front and back are attached. How much should I expect those little red ink splotches in the upper border to lower the grade on the card? Those are the only imperfection I can detect other than minimal centering issues.

I plan to send the Jordan, Jordan sticker and other higher value cards from that 1986 Fleer basketball set to PSA for grading, but I'd like to have a good idea of what to expect before I submit.

Thanks for the input and I look forward to being a part of the community.

Last edited by General Jack; 01-24-2021 at 05:10 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Those red dots being on the back is a much better thing. The card actually looks really sharp. I'd guess you're looking at a PSA 7. I've graded quite a bit- but am not an expert by any means- just my guess.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the reply zack7983. When you say that the red dots on the back are a much better thing, what do you mean? That they wouldn't devalue the card as much as other imperfections like centering, corners, edges, etc.?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oh sorry- I mean as compared to imperfections on the front. The will definitely devalue it and bring the grade down, but not nearly as much in my opinion. Since PSA doesn't really do half grades- you might lose a full grade because of them but if they were on the front- it might be two grades. I think that's an 8 without the dots, a 7 with them being on the back and possibly a 6 if they were on the front. Again- all speculation.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Got it, appreciate the insight. Going to be sending off to PSA this week and see what happens.

SCF Owner

SCF Rewards
    Country

Got it, appreciate the insight. Going to be sending off to PSA this week and see what happens.

You send it out? Did you send it Express or use a different option?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@General Jack

DEFINITELY GET IT GRADED. And let us know how you fare?

In the Graded Card forum there are some nice links to how PSA grades a card, etc.

Or here: https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards

SCF Rewards
    Country

Got it graded, came back an 8.5 which I was happy with. I used the one-day turnaround, think I sent it on a Wednesday, it was received Thursday, graded Friday and I had it back the next Tuesday.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Got it graded, came back an 8.5 which I was happy with. I used the one-day turnaround, think I sent it on a Wednesday, it was received Thursday, graded Friday and I had it back the next Tuesday.

AHHH amazing! Congrats on the grade! Just that 8.5 instead of an 8 takes it from a $20k card today to like a $45k card! And going up daily!

SCF Rewards
    Country

AHHH amazing! Congrats on the grade! Just that 8.5 instead of an 8 takes it from a $20k card today to like a $45k card! And going up daily!

Thanks, yes I'm very fortunate with both the rating and the timing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast