Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

With the recent market trends ..... does this make Beckett even more obsolete?

Was just browsing the Trading Section ..... and it got me thinking.

With how the current market is today, is Beckett even more obsolete?

With cards jumping over the weekend, over night ..... even as games happen ...... how can something like Beckett continue to price cards .... knowing values will most likely move as they are putting pen to paper.

I see people trying to trade cards for BV ...... which wernt even close to accurate in the first point ....... but are now even further off. A lot of times, especially in Young Guns .... BVs dont move when actual cash values of most mid tier YGs have moved quite a bit.

Its crazy the amount of cards that BV X, but sell at X x2 or more
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Anyone who buys/sell on FB card groups uses most recent eBay sales prices to decide value.
    If they don't know the market value 10 people jump in and quickly let them know. Kind of funny but that is how it is now. No ones goes by BV
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Over the past 2 years, the beckett BV of a jaromir jagr opc premier rookie went down 10 bucks.

On ebay over the past month it has gone up by 50 bucks.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See b_to_the_rizzo's Items on eBay

Yes, BV is obsolete right now. I put it in terms of buying/selling a house in Canada. BV is equivalent to what your MPAC (Assessment) of your house is, and in these times grossly mis-stated to true value. I say true value because all value is, is what someone is willing to pay for something. Ebay is showing that exactly, just like the housing market and it highlights what people are willing to pay for something - this is true of all goods in the market. Pricing goes up due to limited supply, supply is supposed to offset that increased demand and pricing will decline, but right now the massive influx of people willing to part with cash for cards, is driving the card prices up daily. Look at Jack Hughes YG before and after his 2 goal game, people went crazy for the new young stud before his YG moves to crazy prices.
    If you are dealing with BV right now, you are going to have a hard time to compete with any type of traction on purchases and will be missing out on value for your sales.

My two cents.

Thanks

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

BV will never be obsolete.... because everytime someone takes a major jump in value.... someone will be there to argue that the card is only worth $X, and you should be happy to trade it for some 12 year old parallels that are also worth $X.

In all seriousness, this current market makes me think Beckett either needs to seriously adapt its way of doing business, or it's price guide is finally going to get the final nail in its coffin.

Beckett is a HUGE name. They have the resources. Work with sites like eBay, COMC, sportslots to pull in *REAL* transaction data. Allow for user submissions too - but you have to careful with that (it would need a way to verify the transaction was real).

Then they could start reporting on card values in real time. Report on them like stocks. That information is all out there online... it just needs someone to aggregate it in real time - and that means the biggest sellers (eBay, COMC, etc) would need to be willing to share (sell) that data in real time.

As the price guide exists today, it's worthless. It's been worthless for years.... but even more worthless now.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

Personally for me the only relavence to Beckett's BV's I see is if you are trading most base sets, and low level inserts/parallels/Sp's. Some rookies too.

When you get into trying to trade for cards that are fluctuating like they have lately then I go to the ebay comps, and use 130point to see what the accepted BO was. This is mainly for mid to higher end cards, or even cards that are trending up out of the lower end category. In cards we had basically Apples(low end), and Oranges(high end) before. Now there's Pear's(whatever's hot now) and Avocado's(what was hot) to consider nowadays.
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If the BV is higher on Beckett so they'll use it. But if the value is higher on eBay, so they'll using that instead Beckett then...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Personally for me the only relavence to Beckett's BV's I see is if you are trading most base sets, and low level inserts/parallels/Sp's. Some rookies too.

When you get into trying to trade for cards that are fluctuating like they have lately then I go to the ebay comps, and use 130point to see what the accepted BO was. This is mainly for mid to higher end cards, or even cards that are trending up out of the lower end category. In cards we had basically Apples(low end), and Oranges(high end) before. Now there's Pear's(whatever's hot now) and Avocado's(what was hot) to consider nowadays.

yeah 130point.com is all anyone needs. Hopefully they don't start charging a fee for it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Ebay sold is better for the following products
    - any product that is recent (last 3-5 years)
    - any product/player that is high profile
    - any porduct that is bought and sold a lot

For everything else, the beckett price guide is adequate.....as long as your using the low end price and not the high end.

just my thoughts

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Plus, the hobby (not me) is trending strongly toward PSA graded cards. I assume Beckett prices are raw(?) Unless they start posting real-time pricing, including raw and graded, they're toast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast