Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

pre-sale for Kaprizov YGs are selling on ebay for almost FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS, and Stutzle YGs (pre-sale) are going for over 300. Insanity

I'll probably break a mega-box of UD2 at release. If I pull one of these 2 guys, it will be up for sale, and I'll have free cards for a few months!
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Rampant speculation at it's best. Just think of all the Daige's, Yakupov's, Dipietro's, on and on - that this could have happened with. If Kaprizov or Stutzle become something - great for the buyer(s), but if they are a bust, that's a bit of coin lost.

Seems this is maybe a practise borrowed from Basketball or Baseball, the can't miss gonna be a superstar that fetches huge dollars. Have never seen this kind of "very expensive" speculation happen in hockey though.

Overall this energy and excitement is great for the collecting industry. Super sucks if you are a box buyer or set builder. I think we have crested as far as pricing though, looking at some Gretzky, Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin activity, looks like pricing has topped out. Now just to wait and see if it holds, or wants to settle a bit lower.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

A couple of things I found on ebay yesterday.....

A wax pack of 1984-85 OPC (yzerman rookie year) including shipping went for $155

Four Wax packs of 1989-1990 OPC (Sakic rookie year) including shipping went for $114

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gregmal05's Items on eBay

Its Project Zimbabwe. There has been and will continue to be, so much money being printed and paired with manipulated interest rates kept at 0 and asset prices everywhere are going nutty because anything with a scarcity factor and store of value is better than holding dollars. Institutional money is buying these types of things, especially low print run and low pop stuff. I bought a couple OPC 8 Gretzkys a few years ago for $8k total and theyre clearing $25k a piece now. Same with the Topps. $1200 2 years ago for PSA 8s, now $10-12k. You may think its a bubble but lets not be dense. A private investment fund with an alternative asset focus can easily bid $100k per for a Gretzky OPC 9 and they can do it all day. The pop report is what? 150? They'll either drive the price into the stratosphere or end up cornering the market on the most iconic hockey card of all time. Its simple supply and demand.Look at Jordan PSA 10 Fleers...$300k+ now. If you're a normal dude just take your "free vacation"(or in some cases life changing) money and run. If youre buying I'd only be buying stuff with scarcity and a proven name behind it.

And if you need proof go look up what an NFT is and see how much some of that crap is selling for. Mark Cuban has talked extensively about it.
    Last edited by gregmal05; 03-26-2021 at 08:49 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shockwiresports's Items on eBay

Yes to all of those reasons mentioned just above. There are many many examples of lesser players whose cards prices are flat or declining since a year ago. A mass bubble would mean prices for all players go up and don’t stop going up. Here’s another example of market being somewhat rational, moving back to hockey, Nick Suzuki:

Young Guns price in the summer, around $30 to $40 and it goes up with excitement of the start of the season to well over $100. I’m looking right now and see I can buy one for $75 on COMC. Unless he steps it up, price should go down in the offseason

Everyone had a chance to buy cards at great prices before March 2020, since then it appears the market underwent a fundamental adjustment

SCF Rewards
    Country

We must be getting close to the end... the insnity and prices has led to empty boxes on eBay.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 2.42.44 PM.png

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456