Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: Would you pay $1 for a random chance to win a PSA graded card?

Voters
10. This poll is closed
  • Yes

6 60.00%
  • No (Cost too high)

0 0%
  • Possibly (Too many variables to the question.)

4 40.00%
  • You're crazy - Other Reason

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Would you participate in a Raffle of a PSA card?

Hey everyone here is why I have added this poll! Please get as many people as possible to answer.

OK...As we know, grading cards is expensive. SCF is looking into ways to lower the cost of grading cards to SCF members! (That is why this place is awesome.) One idea that has been floated was to Raffle off PSA graded cards. Like a box break combined with an auction.

It would work like this:

1. SCF moderators select the card to be raffled and the price per entry.
    2. The raffle would stay open for a select period of time.
    3. The owner of the card (or SCF) would be paid the price for the card and shipping.
    4. Any extra money beyond the price of the card goes to the SCF Grading card fund. This money will be used to either
    A. Reduce the cost of grading submissions for SCF members (using the SCF submissions)
    B. Used to grade additional cards to be raffled or used as prizes on SCF

THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE AN INDIVIDUAL MONEY MAKER.

So, some initial questions have surfaced, so let's examine these:

1. Which SCF Moderators select the card? - We have moderators for each sport, we have graded cards in each sport. Should be a no brainer here.

2. The owner of the card gets paid the card price and shipping? How is that not about individual money making? - Yes, the owner of the card should not lose money, but this isn't about making money for the individual, so...The SCF staff will select any card put up for raffle. Here is what I envision: In general it costs $10-$15 to grade a card and $4 (US) - $8 (Canada) to ship a card. If the card is of higher value, say a Barry Sanders Topps Traded Rookie PSA 10 that happens to be selling for $100, no one expects the seller of SCF to lose that kind of money, so a reasonable amount will be determined by SCF staff. The results of any votes on prices will be archived in SCF, but available. Here is an easy example below.

Example. PSA 9 1993 Pinnacle Wayne Gretzky Canadian - Owner requested $10 for the cost of the card and shipping.... Since it will cost $4-$5 to ship (in the US), the grading fee is usually about $10, going eBay prices for PSA 9 Gretzky cards from 1993 average $10-$20, the owner has asked a rate lower than the possible market value. Because of the Player (HOFer) the grade (PSA 9), the cost ($10), the card should generate some positive income. Voted on and selected for Raffle. So review of market value, factor in shipping and grading and what was the owner asking. If the owner was asking $20 for this card, Maybe I would say yes, maybe no, would the owner in theory make money...possibly, but would SCF make money, very likely as only 20 people paying a $1 raffle would cover. At $10..SCF should easily be able to cover.

OK, we got this far...

Lucky us, the internet has Raffle software (which unfortunately isn't free) that handles entries and email notifications. In short, lets say an entry to win this card was $1.... So you pay $1 for a random chance to win a PSA 9 Gretzky. Would you do it? What about $0.50? Remember this includes shipping... A lot of people love box breaks and get nothing for higher entries than this.

So, you enter at $1.00, as do 24 of your closest friends from SCF. Raffle ends - $10 goes to the owner of the card who is now responsible to enter it into the trade manager and ship it out. The last $15 is now with SCF.

What does SCF do? Well, Joshmets31 has a submission going to PSA and there are 15 SCF members who participated. They each get $1 off their submission price though the SCF submission. More money made, more money off. Or SCF takes a card from a box break or donated card and submits it to PSA to be the next raffle or SCF Prize.

Will we take SCF Reward Points for the Raffled cards?...Not at this time.

What if the raffle doesn't make the minimum for the selected cost...These are thoughts and suggestions, not rules (yet) so, I would think paying the Owner of the card what is possible would be fair and the Owner is still responsible for shipping the card to the Raffle winner. It's like selling on eBay and not getting as much as you expect. It happens but a deal is a deal.

To help in this issue, we need to determine what is a reasonable price of a chance? It may depend on the card? We don't know because we haven't tried it.

Cards to be possibly raffled at this point. I have donated a PSA graded Michael Jordan to SCF. Card and grade to be determined as it has been 8 months and I do not have my cards or grades back from PSA. The Gretzky scenario is real. I have a PSA 9 Gretzky, that I am planning on using as a trial run.

Thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shockwiresports's Items on eBay

Hello @krunchtyme

This is interesting for sure, always nice to have options for getting cards graded for the lowest price possible.

How would this work with respect to the monthly grading submissions Josh does for SCF every month?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@shockwiresports

The options under discussion are:

1. Back to the SCF members in a reduced rate
    2. SCF submissions for more cards
    3. Give free submissions in a second raffle

So on option 1 example: Josh is charging $14 a card for a 1972 -2017 card to be graded. We do a raffle and make $50 profit. The $50 is then returned to SCF members. Let say, 5 members sign up with Josh for 5 cards each. That is 25 cards, SCF will pay Josh $2 per card from the SCF members, so they are now only paying $12 a card instead of $14. The downside here - if the money made is not enough to offset at least $0.50 or $1 per card per member, then we would need to tweak this option.

Example 2: More cards get graded more cards get raffled. We would take selected cards from an SCF box break, donated, etc and pay to get it graded and raffled off. Could be a card of a new rookie from a box break, a HOF player, etc.. Low cost option to add a cool card OR place the money back into option 1.

Example 3: As we got enough money to cover submission fees, we would hold a second raffle (if necessary) for free submissions through Josh and SCF. OR entry is now for 2 raffles - a free grading submission for one card you send in (through SCF/Josh) and the card won at the raffle.

Any other ides? This is all just theory at the moment.

Some other things to note. SCF administrators would select the card to be raffled and if needed the price to be paid to the owner (no one should lose out in this). That information will be open to SCF members. Example. I have a PSA 9 1993 Gretzky card. I can raffle and ship that card for $10 cost to me. A look in the PSA Market report, on eBay and comc determined that the cost of the card and shipping, would be equal or less than the going rate of selling the card individually. So I would ask SCF for $10 from the raffle to cover the card and the shipping to the raffle winner. Now, I have donated a PSA Michel Jordan to SCF (to be placed in the prize vault). That card could be raffled and as a donation, I get nothing for the card. SCF owns it. Other donations, or actual SCF owned cards could/would also be raffled.

The theory is more like a box break, but you know the prize. Multiple people take a chance on a winning graded card. Someone is going to win a PSA card for what ever the entry fee is determined to be (super cheap) either way. Would you pay $1 for a chance at a "Trade Bait" card, being a PSA 9 Gretzky? Would you pay $1 for a chance to add a PSA 9 Gretzky to your PC? The "profit" to SCF is going back to SCF members in some form or fashion. So in example 1, with the actual 1st card we are considering...If 30 SCF members buy 1 slot at $1 - $30 is made, first $10 covers the card and shipping. $20 is back to SCF members for submission to PSA. See above on how the money goes back to SCF members.

So everyone understands the reason behind this. If SCF can generate enough submissions to PSA, PSA will allow us to qualify for their preferred pricing program. Then all of our members would be getting preferred pricing, provided the submissions keep coming to PSA through SCF. You see the big boys on-line always selling PSA graded cards and they have a billion of them. They get preferred pricing, so the fees are lower because of the volume of cards graded.

Any other questions, thoughts, concerns, please post them here so we can all think about, discuss and in general see what we can do! This is an idea, nothing is cast in stone.

Thanks Rich

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shockwiresports's Items on eBay

Right on, looks good

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

@krunchtyme- Rich- How soon can we start?
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports

SCF Rewards
    Country

It’s a buck. Fire it up and see if it flies. I’d be in.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

I'd like to get some more responses. Looks promising. @baystate123 - checked on your stuff. You know the deal.

Alright, We kind of need to set up all the rules first and post them so there are no surprises. I'll post a "rules" list here soon!

First card is going to be a PSA 9 1993 PINNACLE ALL-STARS 45 WAYNE GRETZKY CANADIAN

Pop 2 - Pop Higher 4

Rules to follow

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@doniceage

Thoughts......Want to give it a try? See above posts. We would need postings on our other social media platforms as well.

Thanks Rich

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

@doniceage

Thoughts......Want to give it a try? See above posts. We would need postings on our other social media platforms as well.

Thanks Rich

I have no issue with this. Just like you discussed it here post it in the team forum to get some more opinions. As Baystate123 stated why not give it a try and see if it flies. Just want to have as many eyes on this and look for any possible loopholes by having the team chime in. As you know my motto I want every one to have some input about things that various moderators would like to put into place.
    @krunchtyme

DON

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Let's try it out, sounds good Rich and company!

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast