Anyone collect a specific card number?

I'm wanting to take my card collecting to a different level. Right now, it's too easy to jump on ebay and buy the cards I want since most of them are in the $3 to $10 range.

So, to give myself a challenge, I'm thinking of buying a specific number for serialized cards. For example, 008 of 1500 (or something like that). I think it would be cool to have, say, all of the 2003 Topps Chrome refractor Packers cards that have the number 008 of 599 (or some number).

Sure, jersey number or number 1 or the last number in the series would be great, but costly.

So, my question: does anyone else do this? If so, what number do you collect? Do you use the same number for all brands or do you choose a different one whenever you feel like it?

I do that sometimes but I dont make it a goal or anything. I like the #420 (when I was doing bad things to my lungs,lol now im sober)
    I thought I might be the only one doing this.If I can get a players jersey # in the serial # thats cool to.Like you said that cost to much. So I just keep it simple and get them when I find them.