Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Police make arrest over fake Lafreniere cards

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Nice to read that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Glad they found the suspect! She's going to regret her scam big time.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Wow, kinda rare that an actual arrest is made regarding sports cards.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shockwiresports's Items on eBay

Fake cards is a big concern and it always brings some risks when buying on eBay. Getting cards graded is always a way to at least confirm they are the real deal! Hope that charges are laid for people who are producing fake cards like this Lafreniere!

Tons of articles also about people selling fake autographs, that is another area where fraudsters seem to be lurking

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Makes me want to never buy anything on ebay again. You wonder how much fake stuff is out there, and how much of in is already in my PC

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is why I think all cards should be serial numbered - at least SP's, parallels, inserts and other cards printed in limited amounts, and IMO there should be a site where you can register your cards.. It will certainly help against fraud, not only that but help collectors have an idea of just how many of a particular card could potentially be out there in unopened product among other useful information about that particular card or cards in general..

SCF Rewards
    Country

Fake cards is a big concern and it always brings some risks when buying on eBay. Getting cards graded is always a way to at least confirm they are the real deal! Hope that charges are laid for people who are producing fake cards like this Lafreniere!

Tons of articles also about people selling fake autographs, that is another area where fraudsters seem to be lurking

The only problem with that is it's really not worth it to grade a card sometimes for numerous reasons.. I mean I'm not going to grade a card unless it's financially feasible for me to do so, and I would presume I speak for the strong majority because there is really nothing to gain and everything to lose by getting some cards graded.. Look, for pretty much any modern card if I get it graded and it comes back a 10 I will probably only get high book value, perhaps a premium if I'm lucky, if I get a 9 I will probably get what the card is currently selling for raw, perhaps a little more but not enough to justify having it graded when it costs $10-15 bucks to have it graded, and if you get an 8 then you're totally screwed and out of pocket - I mean in that situation you would be better off just cracking the slab and selling it raw, but that's pretty "dishonest" as well. And I say that because maybe the individual that graded the card was just having a bad day, I mean the grade placed on cards are still subjective...

Anyway my point is - don't hold your breath because like I said there are plenty of reasons to not have cards graded just so the buyer can sleep well at night knowing it's been authenticated, but I get your point...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I would prefer to collect 80's stuff. But because of all the fake/trimmed cards that a possibly out there, It's hard to pull the trigger on the buy button. Therefore i'm sort of forced to buy newer stuff.

I bought a Mint Luc Robitaille rookie last month off ebay. I'm pretty sure it's real because I haven't read anything about fake LR rookie cards roaming around, but I did win it for 20 bucks with no competing bids which is kind of strange.
    Last edited by cjb; 02-27-2021 at 12:51 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Makes me want to never buy anything on ebay again. You wonder how much fake stuff is out there, and how much of in is already in my PC

It's probably not as much as you think, and you probably don't have any fake cards in your PC..

If someone is going to make fake cards and sell them online they're going to get caught because certainly there will be a sales record of that fake card being sold.. Not only that but most counties in the United States - I don't know about Canada have a "cyber crime task-force" and the second they get a whiff of that they will investigate.

With that said, someone would have to be stupid to knowingly sell fake cards just due to the fact they're NOT anonymous..

And since this thread is about fake cards - there are actually collectors out there that collect and pay good money for good fakes/counterfeits just due to the rarity of good counterfeits - it's usually older stuff tho and the rookie cards you would suspect like Gretzky, Brett Hull, Mario Lemieux etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast