Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would prefer to collect 80's stuff. But because of all the fake/trimmed cards that a possibly out there, It's hard to pull the trigger on the buy button. Therefore i'm sort of forced to buy newer stuff.

I bought a Mint Luc Robitaille rookie last month off ebay. I'm pretty sure it's real because I haven't read anything about fake LR rookie cards roaming around, but I did win it for 20 bucks with no competing bids which is kind of strange.

Was it an OPC or a Topps? for some reason the discrepancy in value presently is pretty significant.. I have both the Topps and OPC and was looking the Robitaille rookie up the other day and the Topps was selling for like $5-10 bucks, some were a little higher and lower but the OPC were up there like $30+... And it's been like that recently for many rookie cards...

But look, don't be skeptical of 80's cards because a lot of the fakes have been exposed and removed from circulation and are long gone - not only that but like I pointed out in my previous post - there are collectors that collect fakes from the 80's and vintage fakes in general... Are 80's cards vintage? it seems weird calling them vintage but I suppose they technically are, lol..

You have to remember that back in the 80's there was no internet obviously - at least not like our internet so there was little information on cards, but now there are tons of online resources that can show you what to look for when it comes to fakes from the 80's so fakes are really easy to spot... So if you're ever skeptical of a card it takes 5 minutes to find out what to look for..... Not only that but there are plenty of cards that look like fakes that aren't... I mean I pulled several 89-90 OPC Steve Yzerman's from a vending case not too long ago and a few of them seriously looked fake, the image is all blurry so is the printing etc but obviously they're not fake because I pulled them myself out of a sealed vending case, not only that but whom would fake a 89-90 Steve Yzerman, lol?..

But hey, if you're looking for 80's rookies, shortly I will be posting a very large lot of 500+ in the FS/FT forum of nothing BUT rookies of Hall of Famers and superstars and there are a bunch of 80's HOF'er rookies in the lot, there are a bunch of their rookie sticker cards and OPC mini leaders as well along with their regular issued Topps and/or OPC or both.. It's time for me to slim down and get rid of some triples, quads and any card I feel I just have too many of.... Don't get me wrong it's nice to have "bricks" of some rookie cards, but it really depends on the card.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

as long as they label it snake oil

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

it's an OPC and if graded by PSA it would probably come back a 9 (tad bit off center)

I've wanted a Minto Robo Rookie for a long time, but was always outbid. mint condition Robo usually sells for 25-30 bucks with about 5-10 bidders.

I guess I just got lucky

What I'm worried is now that we are in another card boom, are people out there going to be making more fakes of current and vintage cards.

Plus with wax pack prices rising are people going to start resealing wax and selling them as unopened on ebay

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Always nice to see the law breaker get busted.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

it's an OPC and if graded by PSA it would probably come back a 9 (tad bit off center)

I've wanted a Minto Robo Rookie for a long time, but was always outbid. mint condition Robo usually sells for 25-30 bucks with about 5-10 bidders.

I guess I just got lucky

What I'm worried is now that we are in another card boom, are people out there going to be making more fakes of current and vintage cards.

Plus with wax pack prices rising are people going to start resealing wax and selling them as unopened on ebay

I've got these Robitaille Rookies for trade, I'm thinking about sending the OPC in to be graded I'm confident it will grade at the very least a 9 - I mean I scrutinize the hell out of my cards before I'm confident enough to send them off, lol. I'm just unsure which service I want to use, I'm thinking PSA but the turnaround on PSA is like 8 months, it's crazy. but yea the OPC is a real sharp card, and the Topps? well, lol.. I mean the Topps is ok, it just has a couple of soft corners, certainly NOT a grading candidate - I do have a couple of other Topps that are much nicer. Of course there is also the OPC Mini Leaders Rookie, and a couple 1987-88 OPC Sticker Rookies - one w/ Brian Hayward and another w/Mike Liut... The stickers up top are 88-89 OPC, that particular sticker is really cool because he's paired with Marcel Dionne as a New York Ranger and obviously both are LA Kings legends. I wish it was a Rookie, but close enough.. It would have been sweet to have a Robitaille sticker RC paired with Marcel Dionne's last "sticker/card"...

But yea, I collect OPC Mini Leaders, OPC Stickers and other "oddball" cards, stickers, items etc pre-1990. I mean the 80's had little variety outside of Topps & OPC, but there are a handful of "oddball sets" that are pretty cool. I wouldn't really consider stickers or leaders "oddballs" tho...

It's still nice to have just more than a Topps & OPC tho, and I must say I'm a huge fan of those jerseys, lol... You either love em or hate em, ha...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12