Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

1941 Ted Williams Play Ball worth re-grading?

I don't really understand a lot of the subtleties of grading, but this grade from PSA seems excessively harsh. The card has an almost imperceptible hairline crease that I don't even think is damage but rather an imperfection in the card stock it was printed on (since the crease is nonexistent on the back. From what I'm reading online, it seems like up to PSA 5 is supposed to allow minor creases, yet this card received a 1.5. Is it worth re-submitting?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Is it possible for you to contact PSA and have them explain the grade the card received? I'm not an expert and my eyes aren't as good as they once were, but I'm guessing it might be because of what would appear to me to be slight stains on the upper right hand corner and bottom center on the back of the card along with the corners and centering?

SCF Owner

SCF Rewards
    Country

So it's a 1.5 as you didn't post the pic of the grade. Looks like it has staining on the back. The card looks like a 3, but not a 5.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The appearance of staining is something to do with the lighting - it doesn't look that way in hand. The only thing that appears to be wrong with it is the almost imperceptible crease I mentioned.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There's more wrong with it than an imperceptible crease. I don't see it in the picture but if you say it's there then it's on the list of issues. Obviously it's not bad at all but it's certainly going to be on the list with the graders. Front centering L-R is definitely on the not so great side. T-B isn't terrible but off some. There's a stain no matter how it looks in hand. It can clearly be seen in the pic so the graders probably see it even more under magnification & lighting. Also, somethings going on above the "a" in "ask" on the back too. Add that stuff up with the typical cornering, edge/gloss wear with a card that age and I'd have to agree with Shaggy, probably a 3. You'd have to do the math to see if a 3 would bring it up enough to make it worth while. and that would be if you even got it.

SCF Owner

SCF Rewards
    Country

The appearance of staining is something to do with the lighting - it doesn't look that way in hand. The only thing that appears to be wrong with it is the almost imperceptible crease I mentioned.

So on the bottom back of that card, that staining I see is not really there? It's just a camera issue? It looks like it stained and a little paper loss or mark near the A in ask. Colors of the card are awesome but it's way off center. If it is a 1.5(which again I cant see the grade as it's not in the pic), I agree it might be harsh. Possibly a 2 or 3. I don't think you could get or 4 or 5.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 03-27-2021 at 12:31 AM.