Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Fleer Jordan RC Story

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See bmoy88's Items on eBay

Fleer Jordan RC Story

True story!

One of my first eBay wins was a Fleer MJ rookie. I had won it for ~$200. As I recall there were a few bidders and luckily (or unluckily), I won it!

I sent the Paypal and the card was received about a week later - perfectly centered, sharp edges and corners - woo hoo!

Attachment 189612Attachment 189613

THEN I started doing a bit of research on this card and discovered a poop-load of info on the proliferation of MJ RC fakes!

Upon researching and determining that my card was a fake, I contacted the vendor about a refund and he practically laughed at me - "Too bad - no refunds!" I then looked at his contact information - name, address etc and found out that he was university student studying in an Ontario university living on campus. I wrote a tersely worded email about the wrong that was committed against me by the person and contacted him again telling him that if I was not refunded immediately, I would send off the email to the faculty head he was studying at as well as every other department and administration in the school. After a week of no reply, I sent another email and said "last chance". No reply, so I hit "SEND".

The next day, I received a call from school security asking for all the details of the sale and he told me they were going to look into it. A few days afterwards, the vendor contacted me and asked why I would do that. I told him that I gave him fair warning and that he called my bluff and in the end, I left it up to him to make it right. A week later, I received his cheque in the mail! I was worried about cashing it and if it would bounce or not but in the end, it worked out.

I still have the card.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See leong1's Items on eBay

Good for you! I'm impressed by your creative way to advocate for yourself. I'm also equally impressed by the school contacting you. I would have thought that your email would go into a black hole.

How did you know it was a fake, BTW? Can you tell just by looking at the card itself?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See bmoy88's Items on eBay

I really don't remember all the details that deemed it a fake. I think one of them had to do with the fine print on the bottom of the back of the card. Anyways, if the vendor knew it to be real, I'm sure he would have disputed with me either on eBay or with his school authorities.

And if the card is real - this would definitely score at least a 9.0! Look at the edges and the corners! The centering is not perfect, but isn't horrible!!