Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Faded Top Loaders

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Faded Top Loaders

I have a whole bunch of these old top loaders from the 90's that I would like to use again today

I don't really know why these happen to old top loaders, but my question would be is there a chance this yellowish discoloration can soak into the card over time? Keep in mind that I put my cards in a penny sleeve before I put them into my top loader.

thanks

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have a whole bunch of these old top loaders from the 90's that I would like to use again today

I don't really know why these happen to old top loaders, but my question would be is there a chance this yellowish discoloration can soak into the card over time? Keep in mind that I put my cards in a penny sleeve before I put them into my top loader.

thanks

I have a bunch myself.

They're faded because they were sitting in a card shops display case for years. Between the sun and the light in the case the top loaders got faded... They're no danger to your cards as long as you sleeve them, they just look terrible and certainly not ideal to display a card. But yea, if you're looking for quick protection until you can find a more appropriate holder for your cards then they're fine...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

mmm...these were not in the sun or light

who cares as long as the card inside isn't in danger that's all that really matters.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

The card won't be in danger. You have a chance of the penny sleeve sticking to the card over time (happens more with some card than others) but I have never seen damage from that in my experience. Some top-loaders turn that colour over time, especially with some of the plastics used in the creation of top loaders back then. I have a Super Nintendo with a yellow top-half and a regular coloured bottom half. Odd.

I would still use these in shipping of cheaper cards.
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

The plastic used was either a different plastic (Styrene possibly) which would explain the yellowing, or a low grade of what they normally use.

Your Nintendo, likely the batch of resin used on the top section had no/less UV inhibitor whereas the bottom half did. Quite possibly different plants making either part.

As for your question, the plastic itself will not "leach" anything out but it will be much more brittle than a new one, easier to crack. But the sleeves are a different plastic again and they are what touches the card, and that plastic is supposed to be archival safe - same as 9 sleeve pages. But again, defer to the mention of lower grade plastic, you get what you pay for so be aware of low cost packaging items and funky things can happen with plastics!

SCF Rewards
    Country

hmm....I just bought some penny sleeves the other day. Usually I buy Ultra-Pro but this time around I went with the cheaper option (BCW)

Is there a difference between Ultra pro and BCW?