Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Could any of you fine SCF users give me a hand with who the big rookies and big names are in modern

Could any of you baseball fanatics take the time and give me a rundown on who's who in modern baseball? I mean it would be highly appreciated. I would love to know what to look for when I'm going though my modern cards, however let me start from the beginning and give you a brief synopsis so you can understand my ignorance and why I'm asking for a little bit of help..

Alright, hopefully I can keep this brief but it is a kinda long and somewhat complex story. First off I'm not new to the hobby or even collecting baseball by any means, I've been collecting both baseball and hockey cards since 1988 or so er a couple of years into the baseball junk wax era and by 1990 when I was 10 I was a full-blown card junkie, lol - I spent every penny I had on cards - especially vintage hockey and baseball vintage cards, and over time I built up a pretty significant collection though buying cards and trading with a strong emphasis on vintage cards, so by the time I was 12 or so I was pretty much a dealer, I was doing card shows every weekend and I really would at that point consider myself an expert - I mean I knew what I was doing - you could put any hockey or baseball card in front of my face from t206 to a Donruss Elite and I could tell you what they were. Anyway after a few years I was really respected and had a solid reputation in the card community even if I still was a kid so obviously I was given an after school job at the LCS when I was 13 or so, obviously I wasn't legally allowed to work for a salary or hourly wage so I was paid in store credit which was fine with me because even if I was paid in cash I would have invested it into my inventory/collection anyway, and not only that but I was making cash on the weekends doing card shows so spending money wasn't an issue. Anyway I did that until I was about 17 back in 1997 and slowly started losing interest in the hobby and I was losing interest for numerous reasons; I mean I started hanging out with new people, collecting cards was "uncool" and something only geeks or nerds did, I got a girlfriend and obviously had more freedom, so I wanted to do "adult stuff" (use your imagination, lol) so I drifted away from the hobby - not just baseball but hockey as well, tho I did still play hockey. So by the time I was 18 or so I was completely out of it - I liquidated all of my cards, bought a nice card and used the rest just as spending money.... Of course from about 1998 to 2016 I didn't collect at all, sure I watched the occasional ball game, I did follow hockey throughout those 18 years, but never thought about the hobby. Then when I was 36 I was picking up a gift for my nephew and came across the card section at Walmart and all of a sudden got this nostalgic urge to buy cards and here is where my problem really started - I started debating with myself on what to buy, I mean it was blatantly clear that the hobby had changed tremendously just looking at the selection, prices and various packaging however hockey was and always had been my number 1 sport but I still had fond memories of watching, playing and collecting baseball and how great the sports card community is so I decided to buy a bunch of hockey because I knew the modern players and with baseball I wasn't very familiar with modern players. Sure I knew who Trout, Bryant, A-Rod, Jeter, Judge etc were, I mean some of them were around back in the day when I was collecting but I didn't and still don't know who the top prospects are, so anyway I bought a bunch of hockey and I did buy a handful of Topps Heritage fat packs, and I bought them in an attempt to get back into baseball but I bought the Heritage because I really loved the throwback card designs - especially considering I was a vintage card nut growing up with a really significant vintage collection at one point so the Topps Heritage really appealed to me - way more than Topps Archives - and I still LOVE Topps Heritage regardless if I know little to nothing about modern players ... Anyway, over the last 6 or so years I've managed to accumulate well over 1,000,000 cards - the majority of which are hockey, but I do have a bunch of baseball because I keep on buying them despite the fact I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what the hits are, which rookies to look for or which cards hold value and which cards are junk - and that's why I'm writing this and asking for a little help.

So yea, I would love to know what to look for in my modern cards? to make it really easy I have modern Topps and Topps Heritage from 2017 to the present, all series and TONS of inserts from those sets.. Yea, I have noticed that Topps really likes to load the middle of their fat packs with loads of inserts, lol - not just fat packs but even blaster boxes are loaded with inserts, so I suppose what I'm asking is - what should I be looking for, which insert sets are desired and who are the top up and coming prospects and rookies I should be looking out for?... I mean I have tried eBay but it just takes too much time, because these sets are loaded with rookies, a lot of which I'm not familiar with so I type them into eBay and they're usually pretty much worth nothing - sure there are buyers but for .99 cents? lol... And look, I plan on getting back into baseball but perhaps I should just stick to the cards I know which are vintage, get some Jackie's, Musial's, Williams, Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Koufax, Ryan, Berra, Rose and perhaps some rookies of Seaver, Carlton, Munson, Reggie Jackson, Fisk Winfield, Schmidt, Brett, Yount, Jack Morris, Molitor/Trammel, Ozzie and a nice handful of Henderson rookies, lol...

But yea I would appreciate any advice or links that could help me gain some modern baseball knowledge or even a rundown on who the top prospects are and who to look out for from 2016 to the present....

Sorry for the long post, but figured this would be the place to ask questions about baseball.

Thanks.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is a good start:

Ronald Acuna Jr
    Juan Soto
    Fernando Tatis Jr
    Gleyber Torres