Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ronfir's Items on eBay

Mickey Mantle, yes when I was young, a long time ago

A few days ago I posted a find of the Mickey Mantle matchbook from a Holiday Inn where he was part owner. That got me to reaiizing that I had never scanned the older Mickey Manlle cards that I have in my collection. So I did that this weekend.

As background, more than likely I am one of the oldest members who post on SCF. Always enjoy seeing what everyone pulls and their thoughts on this hobby. So my story starts way back in 1959 as a 4th grader. There was a small store across from our school and since was back in the day when you could walk to and from school and even leave for lunch I would take my lunch money and instead of buying a meal ticket for that day I would go at lunch and buy packs of Topps cards. Packs back in the day were a whole 5 cents! Meal tickets were 25 cents so on days I did that I got five packs. I had at ton of cards. I had them put away when I stared college but my brother who is 8 years younger than me go into them and made a mess so our Mom gave them away to the Highland Elementary Holloween party. But my brother didn't know that I had box, well hidden that had my favorites!

Of course the Yankees were the team but I also knew of the other stars and the guys I played ball with all had our favorites. Back in those days where I lived in New Mexico the only games we got were the Falstaff Game of the Week on TV with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese as the announcers. Games were every Saturday and some Sundays. Seemed like the Yankees were on about every week at least that is the memory of a 4th grader.

That's the background and here are my cards. The matchbook and the 54 Bowman came from my father in law. I have a 58 Topps that I bought years ago but the 1959 I pulled from the first pack of cards I ever bought! The rest are pack pulls or cut from ceral boxes and Jello boxes other than the 1969 which I purchased to finish out Mantle active career As you can see, the cards are not mint but still very special for me.

Start with some game used

This is my favorite Mantle game used card

Post and Jello cards, my aunt owned a small grocery store and I got these from her store

Now to my Topps cards

Bought this 1958

Rest are pack pulls from long ago, other than the 1969 card which was a purchase.

Mantle and Mays were my all time favorite players! Not bad having Elston Howard, John Roseboro and Hank Aaron n the background of the card!

A friend of mine took this card to a show around 1989 and got it autographed by Mantle

And back in the day I paid $200.00 for this Mantle autograph

Well that was a lot of my childhood up to my freshman year in college.

Thanks for taking a look
    Last edited by ronfir; 04-02-2021 at 08:48 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

great stuff.always wanted a mantle

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings
    See cramkd117's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Great Collection, thanks for sharing!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Love the Mantle Feel the Game jersey card but I also am a big fan of those 2001 Upper Deck Vintage team GU cards. I think they look great and always wish Topps did something like that at least once in their Topps Heritage run. And who couldn't be a fan of those Mickey Mantle autograph cards. Both are just amazing. Thanks again for sharing.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very nice! Ty for sharing!