Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Would serial numbered cards in sequence hold any premium, or is it just something cool ??

Does anyone think that serial numbered cards in sequence would add a premium if sold or traded as pairs or lots of 3 or 4??

I broke a bunch of cases of 18/19 SP and I was going though some of the serial numbered Rookie Authentics, and Authentic Profiles looking for 1/1's, but found none - but what I did find were plenty of cards with serial numbers in sequence, not only that but quite a few cards that shared the same serial number as well, and this is out of /1199 so the odds of having a handful of the same card serial numbered in sequence has to be pretty rare considering there are 1199 of them...

For example I have a couple of SP Elias Pettersson Rookie Authentics serial numbered 1051/1199 and 1052/1199 and a few more odd ones:

I just don't know if this is just cool randomness or if anyone of these pairs would hold more value as a pair and if I were to break them up ... I'll probably just keep them in the PC because the odds o getting 2 sequentially serial numbered cards out of /1199 is pretty remarkable.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Let me ask your what is your personal opinion on this. As I see you not really give any thing solid except this from your post:

cool randomness

I mean would think if you busted cases you would get some of sequential numbered cards if they came off the manufacturing line in order. So why is that cool. The only cool factor I think is the following:

1) The first one
    2) Numbered to their jersey number
    3) If you find someone who collects say a certain number (and there are a few of those collectors out there).

So my answer would be no. The thing is you might be on to something. There always new little niches in the hobby popping up, maybe you will start a trend.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

i never thought about before you mentioned it
    it is kinda cool
    i know i have a few cards numbered 1/10 prolly 5 or 6 of them
    but i dont consider them more valuable because of it
    i would think a card numbered 1/1199 is harder to pull than one numbered 1/10

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

If you had a Crosby, or Ovi pair that were 0001 and 0002, you would get a premium over a pair that were 2 random numbers. BUT that may be just because you have 0001. PLUS you would still probably get more you sold them individually. So the answer is maybe, kinda, not really?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I have a couple of cards numbered out of 10 that are sequential but I don't think it adds any value. No one is going to give me more because I have a 3/10, 4/10, and 5/10 of that card. If I had all 10 cards that might de different but I personally don't see the big deal.

It kind of reminds me of those people who post "this is a 1/1 card" on eBay when in reality it is the player's jersey number (i.e. A Carey Price card numbered 31/100). I personally see the value in the card itself, not because it is sequentially numbered, jersey numbered, or otherwise.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Maybe. It's cool to see, that's for sure.

I've always placed a small premium on getting the first, last, or player's jersey number. Many others do the same.

If it was a small print run card (say 25, or less) I'd say no.... but being a larger print run - you might find someone who thinks it's really neat, and worth paying a premium.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

It's nice to see somebody else here giving some love to these SP retail rookies. The only serial numbers getting a premium usually are #1, the last, and the number of the jersey of the player.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's nice to see somebody else here giving some love to these SP retail rookies. The only serial numbers getting a premium usually are #1, the last, and the number of the jersey of the player.

Yea, tell me about it... Seems SP's get no love - especially the Rookie Authentics, jerseys, serial numbered and auto's which are /25 and some RA auto's aren't even numbered which I find odd unless the RA auto's that aren't serial numbered are 1/25 - because I know that's a thing with some UD products like SPGU, the last jersey # is usually an auto...

Either way I have at least 13 complete 18/19 SP master sets w/ the Authentic Profiles inset sets, and (3) complete blue parallel master sets to boot w/ Authentic Profiles. And it's odd - some collectors scoff at SP in favor of the SPA's, which are essentially identical and have the identical checklist, and rookies - not only that but the SP rookie auto's are 40x more rare than the SPA FWA's... It's times like this where the hobby makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever... It's almost like collectors just collect whatever they're told is "popular" instead of collecting what they like..

And as far as the serial numbers being in sequence, I just think it's interesting because the cards are /1199, and with that said I don't think many collectors have serial numbered cards in sequence from that large of a serial number... Sure, it's not really difficult to find sequenced cards if the print run was /20 or /30 er less than 100 because they pop up all the time..... But since I have the cards already in sequence and they're not part of my PC and are merely traders I was just looking for advice - or better yet - an opinion on weather I should break them up or what I should do with them?

But yes indeed I absolutely agree with you that SP gets no love.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Maybe. It's cool to see, that's for sure.

I've always placed a small premium on getting the first, last, or player's jersey number. Many others do the same.

If it was a small print run card (say 25, or less) I'd say no.... but being a larger print run - you might find someone who thinks it's really neat, and worth paying a premium.

Yea, I just thought it was an unusual situation to say the least that I have sequential serial numbers from a numbered run of /1199, so since they're traders I don't know if I should keep them paired up or what? nor do I think that unique fact would realistically add a monetary premium to the cards, I was more so wondering would that unique fact make the cards more desirable as a pair than on their own?...

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have a couple of cards numbered out of 10 that are sequential but I don't think it adds any value. No one is going to give me more because I have a 3/10, 4/10, and 5/10 of that card. If I had all 10 cards that might de different but I personally don't see the big deal.

It kind of reminds me of those people who post "this is a 1/1 card" on eBay when in reality it is the player's jersey number (i.e. A Carey Price card numbered 31/100). I personally see the value in the card itself, not because it is sequentially numbered, jersey numbered, or otherwise.

I agree, tho Upper Deck has or at least was doing interesting things with those 1/1's - at least in their 14/15 and 15/16 SPGU set, true base cards that are the players jersey number er the last card given how the true base set works is autographed..

As far as the cards serial number being the players number - I think that's kind of goofy too but some collectors find a premium in that and that's fine, I'm just not one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast