Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Anyone pay homage to certain players/sets/teams and create their own custom cards?

So, as the title of the thread states. Do any of you have an artistic eye er background and created your own physical custom cards using whatever supplies you have at your disposal? If not have you ever thought about it?

I would love to know your opinions on this subject.. IMO, I really view what I'm doing as nothing short of re-purposing what would otherwise be considered "junk" into beautiful 1/1 custom cards..

First off, I am aware that Elias Pettersson is NOT Stan Smyl - that is going to be changed. Right now the glue on the card is curing - then there are a few other elements I would like to add to the card - one of which is obviously changing Stan Smyl to Eilas Pettersson, lol.

As far as the card - It's a pretty thick card, thicker than a, SPGU Winter Classic jersey for example because I use a ton of layers.

As an artist I've been making cards like this since I was a kid, I just like the art, the project and creativity that comes with it... Obviously there are other collectors out there that share my interest in both art and cards and make custom card themselves - however mine are much-much different, because I'm not using photoshop or graphic editing software. I actually use multiple cards for my ideas.

The Pettersson pictured is actually off of a 18/19 SP box, then I went though some 90/91 UD and thought the "Heroes of Hockey" CL was pretty cool looking so I used that as a "Canvas or sorts", then took another 90/91 "Heroes of Hockey" card, cut the HOH "shield" from the card then pasted it to a piece of the 18/19 blaster box to give the shield some "depth" - then pasted the Pettersson on top of that, then found a common 90/91 UD card (Smyl) and cut the photograph out of the card and used the border , then slapped that on the card, then obviously cut a 90/91 UD Young Guns insignia, pasted that on a piece of cardboard and when that was dry I put it in the bottom left to give the card some depth...

Of course when that was done I pasted that on top of a decoy, then grabbed an extra 19/20 UD Petterson and pasted that on the back of the decoy to give the card an UD back and some statistics....

I couldn't find my razor blade so I did all this with just scissors, and it took a good couple of hours..

Now I just have to get Pettersson's name on the card and it will be done..

I'll admit I could have done a little better job, but aesthetically I'm super happy with the card and I plan on doing many more int the future.

What makes these cards so cool are the multiple layers I add to the card to give the card a real 3D feel and look..

And like I said I've been doing this for quite some time now and have actually sold several.... I just think that a lot of boxes have cool photos of players on them and they would be excellent for cards, so I go ahead and make them....

The next card I do I really want to do a jersey/materials card - now obviously I WOULD NEVER sell a card like the below with a jersey or material and advertise and sell the card as "game used/worn".

These cards are nothing more than creative novelty items, cards I think would be awesome if they existed or cards I would want to add to my collection if they were released by UD.... If it matters tho - the below card is still an "authentic card" it's just been heavily modified, but all of the products I used to create this card are indeed UD products and this is indeed - regardless of it's novelty status - a 1/1, because I don't plan on creating another one - at least not - that card...

But hey, let me know what you think? you think it's a cool card and a cool concept or am I just a disgusting heretic to the hobby that's gone completely out of control chopping up cards and having the audacity to challenge the master designers at Upper Deck, lol....

IMO, UD should hire me in their design and layout department TBH because I have a ton of awesome ideas for cards... Anyway I'm going to start a new one shortly after I get Pettersson's name on the card, lol - I'm just unsure what player I want to do. I would really like to do a goalie like Ranford because his in action photos on just about all of his cards are fantastic.. Tho I do have a 20/21 empty box of MVP sitting right next to me so perhaps I can do something with that...

Anyway, I'm keeping this one in the PC - besides it has a couple of flaws. But if you like my work and would like a card like this just PM me because I would be glad to make something really awesome for you.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yes, but not the way you're doing it. I've never cut up physical cards to make a new card (though I take zero issue with the concept).

I'm more of the "use photoshop to create a new card, and then have physical copies made" mindset....... and even then, I'm more of the "pay someone else a few dollars to do it for me, because my photoshop skills are not good" (though I'm learning, and am doing a few of my own now).

Big part of my collection is Autographs. All-Time Oilers (ever single player to have played for the team). Many players from the 70s and 80s (think "cup of coffee" types) never had any cardboard made of them.... so I use "custom cards" for something to have signed by them.

I'm also working on autographs from the cast of Slapshot, using the 1977 OPC WHA design. I got one back signed yesterday, with a request to send him a few copies of the card (he really liked it) - which I'm very happy to do.

As far as selling or trading something like these goes: I have paid for other people's custom cards that were signed by the player.... I have no objections to doing so. I don't typically end up with extras to sell or trade afterwards, so it's really not an issue for me. I don't think I've ever sold a custom (signed) card, but I have traded a few of my doubles.

What you're making: At the end of the day, it's artwork IMO. If you come up with something that people want to pay for.... so long as they know what it is.... I have zero issue with selling that.

There's lots of people making custom cards these days.... many are repurposing pieces of jersey that were inserted into real cards. You can do pretty much anything you want, if you've got the skills for it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes, but not the way you're doing it. I've never cut up physical cards to make a new card (though I take zero issue with the concept).

I'm more of the "use photoshop to create a new card, and then have physical copies made" mindset....... and even then, I'm more of the "pay someone else a few dollars to do it for me, because my photoshop skills are not good" (though I'm learning, and am doing a few of my own now).

Big part of my collection is Autographs. All-Time Oilers (ever single player to have played for the team). Many players from the 70s and 80s (think "cup of coffee" types) never had any cardboard made of them.... so I use "custom cards" for something to have signed by them.

I'm also working on autographs from the cast of Slapshot, using the 1977 OPC WHA design. I got one back signed yesterday, with a request to send him a few copies of the card (he really liked it) - which I'm very happy to do.

As far as selling or trading something like these goes: I have paid for other people's custom cards that were signed by the player.... I have no objections to doing so. I don't typically end up with extras to sell or trade afterwards, so it's really not an issue for me. I don't think I've ever sold a custom (signed) card, but I have traded a few of my doubles.

What you're making: At the end of the day, it's artwork IMO. If you come up with something that people want to pay for.... so long as they know what it is.... I have zero issue with selling that.

There's lots of people making custom cards these days.... many are repurposing pieces of jersey that were inserted into real cards. You can do pretty much anything you want, if you've got the skills for it.

Thanks for the reply, I would really love to see some of your work. I have bought several "alternative" cards over the years. And I always love looking at these alternative cards, because they're all so cool... And if you have any for sale or trade I would absolutely be interested, because it's non-Hawks stuff like that I PC.. I had a bunch of "81/82 OPC Red Army/CSKA" cards at one point and I had no intention on selling or trading them but one collector just kept on pushing it and finally made me an offer I just couldn't refuse so sadly I had to part with them... I don't regret the trade, but I do miss the cards, lol.

yea I enjoy doing it and re-purposing common cards to make something cool.. As far as photoshop, I'm pretty excellent at photoshop and have been designing cards on photoshop for a long time - the real issue I have when it comes to photoshop is finding a company that will print them in limited runs, that and finding the right card stock, I really want to get the backs of the cards I make on photoshop as close to the "real thing" on the back as possible including card stock and feel of Topps/OPC... I mean I would love to do some extended sets, for "cards that never were" - like for example an 89/90 Jeremy Roenick. I know that there are sets out there of "cards that never were" but they don't look authentic enough for me - I want a card on the same card stock as the 89/90 Topps/OPC... Now obviously some would claim my ideas amount to "counterfeiting" which is ridiculous if someone drew that conclusion because the cards I'm talking about or changing were never in the original set to begin with, and would merely be for hobby enthusiasts that appreciate the same type of cards I do.. Would it be difficult to tell a 89/90 OPC/Topps "Roenick RC" from a real copy of an 89/90 Topps/OPC - yes - but every hockey card collector knows that Roenick was never included in the set, so I'm not trying to fool anyone - I would just like to have a "legitimate" JR rookie from a set he should have been included in, and the same goes for a lot of players.

So yea, I do use photoshop, however the cards I'm making by hand are indeed art.. I have my own style. I really enjoy adding depth to the card I'm creating, because as an artist I've always used depth as an aspect of my art, so cards like the Pettersson I just made the other evening every aspect of that card is a new cut. I mean I used 5 cards to crate the front of the card, and 1 for the back - I used (2) "NHL Heroes" cards from the 90-91 UD set, I used an 89-90 UD Stan Smyl for the border and I cut the "Young Guns insignia" from an 89-90 Wes Walz YG I think, then I started gluing the card together with parts of Pettersson being both the background and foreground, like Pettersson is figuratively in the card climbing out of it, lol and obviously the Young Guns insignia sticks out of the card (or is pasted on 2 layers) just as Pettersson's head is sticking out of the card with his head being on top of the border of the card.

Of course when I was satisfied what I had, I then glued that to a pack decoy, then glued a 19/20 UD base card of Petterson to the back of the decoy to give the back a nice look and some statistics... And like I said - it's a pretty thick card and snugly fits into one of those thick top loaders that are used for SPGU jersey/patch cards. I don't know how many "points" the holder is, but it's a good 1/8 of an inch but the card would fit much better in a 3/16th's holder..

And it's kinda funny because I didn't cut up any Pettersson's to make this card - the front is actually the photo of Pettersson from a blaster box of 2018/19 Upper Deck SP, so I can assure those concerned that I may be slaughtering Pettersson cards for my artwork - I'm not - I'm only cutting up or re-purposing common cards for my artwork... Tho I will admit - as I pointed out earlier in this post that I did indeed "sacrifice" a 2019/20 UD Pettersson base #168, by gluing it to the back of a decoy so my art project had a back and some statistics and a little write-up.

But yea, this is indeed artwork, I enjoy doing it because I love both art, hockey and hockey cards and I can incorporate all 3 of my passions into one.. Also, the cards I create I would really like to see Upper Deck make - even using the same process I use, because these cards really "pop" out at you - and that's the whole point using multiple layers and adding depth..

As for right now, I'm in the process of crating an Auston Matthews which I cut out of a box of 20/21 UD MVP - the same box I pulled Lareniere's Auto Gold #1 Draft Pick Redemption card, so hopefully the Matthews card will come out as nice if not nicer than the Pettersson. I've already cut the card - I'm just trying to decide which card design to use - I may or am leaning towards chopping up a couple of 16/17 YG's and creating an alternative Matthews YG (I know, how dare I, lol), but I also plan on creating this card to be a "pseudo-jersey/patch" card as well - just to add some material - because I think a lot of UD's memorabilia cards to be boring or lacking any artistic foresight when it comes to GU material cards.

Anyway, when I'm done with the Auston Matthews Alternate YG I'll post it up..

And if anyone reading this enjoys art or arts and crafts, I would definitely encourage you to get involved in this artistic hobby and make some of your own cards and post them up. It's a fun hobby within a hobby.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here's a couple of examples (they've been signed). Full disclosure: I didn't create them..... my idea... but I had someone else do the work. I don't have the talent, lol.

I don't have scans of the backs handy, but I'm with you: I like them to have backs... and as close to the "real" thing as possible.

Here's what the back of a normal one of those cards looks like:

I wanted the same Jeresy # & Player name as the footer... but there's (of course) no real stats to go with fictional characters. Instead of 3 boxes (English, Stats, French) my backs only have two.... one has brief details about the actor, the other has details about the character.

I've had some printed recently, using Walmart. What I would do is order a 5x7 gretting card (really the card is 10x14. It's meant to be folded). I would basically create a four card panel, and the reverse side would be the backs. Everything lines up perfectly (I'd pre-make the two 10 x 14 files).

The card stock isn't quite as think as a normal trading card, but the finish lends itself nicely to being signed. I'm not looking for perfection with these.... but something that looks nice, and is good for autographs.

As for the stuff you mentioned, Topps did make a few back in 2003-04 (maybe other years too?) It was an insert set call "lost rookies". Here's a pic of the Roenick:

Players like Modano, Roy, Sakic, Cujo, Yzerman, Hull, a few others.

The same guy I had make those Slapshot cards, I've had him do a few Ranfords for me. Bill's actual first NHL action was in the 1985-86 season (played 4 regular season game, 2 in the playoffs). I had him make me an 86-87 "Rookie Card". Used a photo from the 85-86 season (so it would be as "real" as possible). Numbered the card #265, since there's 264 cards in the set.

I also had one made in the 1988-89 OPC style... using a photo from 87-88. He wasn't included in that set (his RC is 87-88, next real issued card is 89-90).

I'm familiar with the "Card That Never Were" guy. I've dealt with him a bit on another forum, and have purchased a few cards from him. They look nice - but if you're looking for something that would actually look & feel like the originals, that's not what he's making.

I won't say "impossible", but I think it would be very tricky to find cardstock that would match the original perfectly.

Check this site out if you want to see something really neat for re-purposing "junk" cards:

http://www.timcarrollart.com/

He tears them up into little pieces, and then creates large pieces of artwork with them (making a big mural of a particular card)

Thanks for the reply, I would really love to see some of your work. I have bought several "alternative" cards over the years. And I always love looking at these alternative cards, because they're all so cool... And if you have any for sale or trade I would absolutely be interested, because it's non-Hawks stuff like that I PC.. I had a bunch of "81/82 OPC Red Army/CSKA" cards at one point and I had no intention on selling or trading them but one collector just kept on pushing it and finally made me an offer I just couldn't refuse so sadly I had to part with them... I don't regret the trade, but I do miss the cards, lol.

yea I enjoy doing it and re-purposing common cards to make something cool.. As far as photoshop, I'm pretty excellent at photoshop and have been designing cards on photoshop for a long time - the real issue I have when it comes to photoshop is finding a company that will print them in limited runs, that and finding the right card stock, I really want to get the backs of the cards I make on photoshop as close to the "real thing" on the back as possible including card stock and feel of Topps/OPC... I mean I would love to do some extended sets, for "cards that never were" - like for example an 89/90 Jeremy Roenick. I know that there are sets out there of "cards that never were" but they don't look authentic enough for me - I want a card on the same card stock as the 89/90 Topps/OPC... Now obviously some would claim my ideas amount to "counterfeiting" which is ridiculous if someone drew that conclusion because the cards I'm talking about or changing were never in the original set to begin with, and would merely be for hobby enthusiasts that appreciate the same type of cards I do.. Would it be difficult to tell a 89/90 OPC/Topps "Roenick RC" from a real copy of an 89/90 Topps/OPC - yes - but every hockey card collector knows that Roenick was never included in the set, so I'm not trying to fool anyone - I would just like to have a "legitimate" JR rookie from a set he should have been included in, and the same goes for a lot of players.

So yea, I do use photoshop, however the cards I'm making by hand are indeed art.. I have my own style. I really enjoy adding depth to the card I'm creating, because as an artist I've always used depth as an aspect of my art, so cards like the Pettersson I just made the other evening every aspect of that card is a new cut. I mean I used 5 cards to crate the front of the card, and 1 for the back - I used (2) "NHL Heroes" cards from the 90-91 UD set, I used an 89-90 UD Stan Smyl for the border and I cut the "Young Guns insignia" from an 89-90 Wes Walz YG I think, then I started gluing the card together with parts of Pettersson being both the background and foreground, like Pettersson is figuratively in the card climbing out of it, lol and obviously the Young Guns insignia sticks out of the card (or is pasted on 2 layers) just as Pettersson's head is sticking out of the card with his head being on top of the border of the card.

Of course when I was satisfied what I had, I then glued that to a pack decoy, then glued a 19/20 UD base card of Petterson to the back of the decoy to give the back a nice look and some statistics... And like I said - it's a pretty thick card and snugly fits into one of those thick top loaders that are used for SPGU jersey/patch cards. I don't know how many "points" the holder is, but it's a good 1/8 of an inch but the card would fit much better in a 3/16th's holder..

And it's kinda funny because I didn't cut up any Pettersson's to make this card - the front is actually the photo of Pettersson from a blaster box of 2018/19 Upper Deck SP, so I can assure those concerned that I may be slaughtering Pettersson cards for my artwork - I'm not - I'm only cutting up or re-purposing common cards for my artwork... Tho I will admit - as I pointed out earlier in this post that I did indeed "sacrifice" a 2019/20 UD Pettersson base #168, by gluing it to the back of a decoy so my art project had a back and some statistics and a little write-up.

But yea, this is indeed artwork, I enjoy doing it because I love both art, hockey and hockey cards and I can incorporate all 3 of my passions into one.. Also, the cards I create I would really like to see Upper Deck make - even using the same process I use, because these cards really "pop" out at you - and that's the whole point using multiple layers and adding depth..

As for right now, I'm in the process of crating an Auston Matthews which I cut out of a box of 20/21 UD MVP - the same box I pulled Lareniere's Auto Gold #1 Draft Pick Redemption card, so hopefully the Matthews card will come out as nice if not nicer than the Pettersson. I've already cut the card - I'm just trying to decide which card design to use - I may or am leaning towards chopping up a couple of 16/17 YG's and creating an alternative Matthews YG (I know, how dare I, lol), but I also plan on creating this card to be a "pseudo-jersey/patch" card as well - just to add some material - because I think a lot of UD's memorabilia cards to be boring or lacking any artistic foresight when it comes to GU material cards.

Anyway, when I'm done with the Auston Matthews Alternate YG I'll post it up..

And if anyone reading this enjoys art or arts and crafts, I would definitely encourage you to get involved in this artistic hobby and make some of your own cards and post them up. It's a fun hobby within a hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Love those customs with the signatures and inscriptions. Can't wait to see more if you're so inclined. There are a couple I've seen on eBay which are really cool but I've never bought one. I would love to have a Paul D'Amato with his pre game statement to Dunlap on it. I won't quote it here because I'm sure I don't need to. Dunlap's response was classic.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here's a couple of examples (they've been signed). Full disclosure: I didn't create them..... my idea... but I had someone else do the work. I don't have the talent, lol.

I don't have scans of the backs handy, but I'm with you: I like them to have backs... and as close to the "real" thing as possible.

Here's what the back of a normal one of those cards looks like:

I wanted the same Jeresy # & Player name as the footer... but there's (of course) no real stats to go with fictional characters. Instead of 3 boxes (English, Stats, French) my backs only have two.... one has brief details about the actor, the other has details about the character.

I've had some printed recently, using Walmart. What I would do is order a 5x7 gretting card (really the card is 10x14. It's meant to be folded). I would basically create a four card panel, and the reverse side would be the backs. Everything lines up perfectly (I'd pre-make the two 10 x 14 files).

The card stock isn't quite as think as a normal trading card, but the finish lends itself nicely to being signed. I'm not looking for perfection with these.... but something that looks nice, and is good for autographs.

As for the stuff you mentioned, Topps did make a few back in 2003-04 (maybe other years too?) It was an insert set call "lost rookies". Here's a pic of the Roenick:

Players like Modano, Roy, Sakic, Cujo, Yzerman, Hull, a few others.

The same guy I had make those Slapshot cards, I've had him do a few Ranfords for me. Bill's actual first NHL action was in the 1985-86 season (played 4 regular season game, 2 in the playoffs). I had him make me an 86-87 "Rookie Card". Used a photo from the 85-86 season (so it would be as "real" as possible). Numbered the card #265, since there's 264 cards in the set.

I also had one made in the 1988-89 OPC style... using a photo from 87-88. He wasn't included in that set (his RC is 87-88, next real issued card is 89-90).

I'm familiar with the "Card That Never Were" guy. I've dealt with him a bit on another forum, and have purchased a few cards from him. They look nice - but if you're looking for something that would actually look & feel like the originals, that's not what he's making.

I won't say "impossible", but I think it would be very tricky to find cardstock that would match the original perfectly.

Check this site out if you want to see something really neat for re-purposing "junk" cards:

http://www.timcarrollart.com/

He tears them up into little pieces, and then creates large pieces of artwork with them (making a big mural of a particular card)

Those cards are awesome, how did you go about getting the autographs? I mean the actors from Slap Shot were either obscure actors that played hockey, or were actual hockey players, most of which ironically - considering the set you used - were WHA players... Yea, I'm familiar with the 1977-78 OPC WHA cards, I have a bunch and am working on a set and am only missing a few cards. The set is only 66 cards and the last OPC WHA set in the series. Obviously the first WHA set was in the 72/73 OPC set and they were all high numbers, so if you have that set you essentially have 2 sets in 1. I will say this tho - it's really difficult to find centered 77/78 OPC WHA cards - especially on the back

As far as "the rookie cards that never were" set that Topps produced - yeah I have a few of them including the Roenick you pictured (I PC Hawks, Roenick). I also have Mike Modano 89/90 and Patrick Roy 85/86 too. The problem with that Topps set is that the backs are pretty ugly and off-color and Topps didn't use the same card stock, and they're way more glossy than cards from the original sets - essentially they just don't look like cards that came from those particular sets. When I bought them I was really hoping that Topps used the same card stock but they didn't, and that was somewhat disappointing... I believe that set was an insert set from the early 00's actually..

IMO, it would be really nice if hockey had it's own version of "Topps Heritage" like baseball does, tho I doubt it's even possible given that presently Upper Deck holds exclusive rights to manufacture and issue hockey cards - and I know they still produce OPC, but I highly doubt Upper Deck holds the rights to vintage OPC, or OPC prior to Upper Deck "buying" or leasing the "OPC brand". I'm sure Topps still holds the rights to all designs and anything associated with OPC prior to Upper Deck taking over...

But those Slap Shot 77/78 OPC WHA cards are really awesome. Now all you need are some 86/87 OPC cards from Youngblood, lol...

Anyway, I'll post some of the "cards that never were" that I purchased a long time ago which I had sold for a tremendous profit, but luckly I still have the pics on my phone..

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yea, I bought these awesome 1981/82 OPC "cards that never were" off of eBay a couple of years ago, then one day I was having a group discussion about Soviet hockey and decided to share these cards, then a user made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the lot so I sold them... I mean I kinda regret selling them because they were really part of the PC, but what do you do when someone makes you an offer you cant refuse?..

A user asked me what I wanted for them, then I pulled an arbitrary "Bobby Hull" number out of my butt essentially saying "more than you're willing to pay" and the user/collector said "done" and I was like WHAT?? what just happened here??.. I got $300 for the lot so I couldn't refuse that, lol... But yea, they were really cards I appreciated and enjoyed having in the PC but as they say "cash is king" lol... I really tried to keep the Tretiak out of the deal because obviously the other guys came over after the collapse of the USSR and played in the NHL and have cards, but obviously Tretiak never did.. Actually Tretiak did come over after the collapse and he was the Hawks goalie coach for longer than a decade and rumor has it that Keenan offered Tretiak a contract to play for the Hawks in the early 90's when he was the Hawks goalie coach but Tretiak refused - but that would have been quite the thing. The Hawks having Hasek, Belfour and Tretiak all at the same time? lol.. 3 of arguably the Top 10 goalies of all-time under contract at the same time by the same team? lol....

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Love those customs with the signatures and inscriptions. Can't wait to see more if you're so inclined. There are a couple I've seen on eBay which are really cool but I've never bought one. I would love to have a Paul D'Amato with his pre game statement to Dunlap on it. I won't quote it here because I'm sure I don't need to. Dunlap's response was classic.

All I can get!
    @ac4760 I will post up a thread with my Slapshot stuff later today (will try). If I don't get to it.... early next week. Have lots to show off :)

Those cards are awesome, how did you go about getting the autographs? I mean the actors from Slap Shot were either obscure actors that played hockey, or were actual hockey players, most of which ironically - considering the set you used - were WHA players... Yea, I'm familiar with the 1977-78 OPC WHA cards, I have a bunch and am working on a set and am only missing a few cards. The set is only 66 cards and the last OPC WHA set in the series. Obviously the first WHA set was in the 72/73 OPC set and they were all high numbers, so if you have that set you essentially have 2 sets in 1. I will say this tho - it's really difficult to find centered 77/78 OPC WHA cards - especially on the back

That's all pretty accurate. Some of them (like Tenisi) were obscure hockey players. Some of them (like D'Amato) were obscure actors. A few of them (besides Newman) had other roles that people would know... but most didn't.

How I got them signed? Sent them a letter asking for an autograph.... that's pretty much it. Takes a little bit of work to find an address, but if you're willing to put the work into it - it can be done. I don't always get a reply, which could mean that I mailed to the wrong place, or maybe they simply don't want to sign. That's a risk I'm happy to take, and my success rate is pretty good.

It's no different than mailing to players.

As far as "the rookie cards that never were" set that Topps produced - yeah I have a few of them including the Roenick you pictured (I PC Hawks, Roenick). I also have Mike Modano 89/90 and Patrick Roy 85/86 too. The problem with that Topps set is that the backs are pretty ugly and off-color and Topps didn't use the same card stock, and they're way more glossy than cards from the original sets - essentially they just don't look like cards that came from those particular sets. When I bought them I was really hoping that Topps used the same card stock but they didn't, and that was somewhat disappointing... I believe that set was an insert set from the early 00's actually..

Yeah, 2003-04, pretty sure.

I think duplicating the card stock would be near impossible, unless there was a specific formula they used to blend that cardboard. Considering the inconsistencies you see throughout the 80s, I'm guessing the formula was not exact anyway. They could certainly do something that's really close, but clearly they did not want to.

IMO, it would be really nice if hockey had it's own version of "Topps Heritage" like baseball does, tho I doubt it's even possible given that presently Upper Deck holds exclusive rights to manufacture and issue hockey cards - and I know they still produce OPC, but I highly doubt Upper Deck holds the rights to vintage OPC, or OPC prior to Upper Deck "buying" or leasing the "OPC brand". I'm sure Topps still holds the rights to all designs and anything associated with OPC prior to Upper Deck taking over...

I agree with you here, 100%. A Topps Heritage type set would be awesome..... but impossible unless Topps has a license. You're correct. Upper Deck owns (or leases?) the name O-Pee-Chee. They don't own any of the designs for OPC cards made by Topps. They did make retro OPC cards in 2008-09 using the 79-80 design, so there was some kind of partnership there, but I'm guessing that was a one off.

But those Slap Shot 77/78 OPC WHA cards are really awesome. Now all you need are some 86/87 OPC cards from Youngblood, lol...

I liked Youngblood, and if I were to do something similar - that's exactly what design I'd want to use... but that movie was never as much of a thing for me as Slapshot. I think I've seen it twice, Slapshot the number is ridiculously high. I still watch it a few times a year.

Yea, I bought these awesome 1981/82 OPC "cards that never were" off of eBay a couple of years ago, then one day I was having a group discussion about Soviet hockey and decided to share these cards, then a user made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the lot so I sold them... I mean I kinda regret selling them because they were really part of the PC, but what do you do when someone makes you an offer you cant refuse?..

A user asked me what I wanted for them, then I pulled an arbitrary "Bobby Hull" number out of my butt essentially saying "more than you're willing to pay" and the user/collector said "done" and I was like WHAT?? what just happened here??.. I got $300 for the lot so I couldn't refuse that, lol... But yea, they were really cards I appreciated and enjoyed having in the PC but as they say "cash is king" lol... I really tried to keep the Tretiak out of the deal because obviously the other guys came over after the collapse of the USSR and played in the NHL and have cards, but obviously Tretiak never did.. Actually Tretiak did come over after the collapse and he was the Hawks goalie coach for longer than a decade and rumor has it that Keenan offered Tretiak a contract to play for the Hawks in the early 90's when he was the Hawks goalie coach but Tretiak refused - but that would have been quite the thing. The Hawks having Hasek, Belfour and Tretiak all at the same time? lol.. 3 of arguably the Top 10 goalies of all-time under contract at the same time by the same team? lol....

Yeah, cash is king. I've got lots of cards (including the Slapshot ones) that I'm not even entertaining the idea of ever selling. I suppose if someone came along with an offer I can't refuse, it can always be done. What I typically do is mail two copies of the card, and suggest they keep one (same thing with ex-Oilers I mail to, that never had cards). Sometimes I get one back, sometimes I get both. The doubles of the Slapshot stuff - I'd be happy to trade for a Slapshot actor I don't have.

Those Soviet cards are pretty awesome.... the CTNW dude makes nice stuff.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I came across this blog a few months ago. It seems that they photoshop images with the topps/ opc card from that season. I don't know much about the creator but found them interesting.

http://jblarghcards.blogspot.com/

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

@ac4760 and @Savard18

I posted a new thread here, if you'd like to see more of the customs:

https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...7#post15008217