Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post NHL Fires Ref Tim Peel After Getting Caught On Hot Mic Calling Bogus Penalty On Nashville Predators

https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/...edators-video/

Referee Tim Peel is out of a job this week after he was heard on a hot mic admitting he was looking to call a penalty against the Nashville Predators in the second period against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night.

The penalty in question came when Peel whistled Nashville’s Viktor Arvidsson for tripping Detroit’s Jon Merrill.

NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell said the league was “investigating the incident.”

On Wednesday, the NHL announced that Peel would not be working anymore games now or in the future.

“National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell announced today that Referee Tim Peel, following his comments during the game last night between the Detroit Red Wings and Nashville Predators, no longer will be working NHL games now or in the future.

“Nothing is more important than ensuring the integrity of our game,” Campbell said. “Tim Peel’s conduct is in direct contradiction to the adherence to that cornerstone principle that we demand of our officials and that our fans, players, coaches and all those associated with our game expect and deserve. There is no justification for his comments, no matter the context or his intention, and the National Hockey League will take any and all steps necessary to protect the integrity our game.”

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

They didn't really "fire" him. He was set to retire next month, so they're just not going to schedule him for games until his official retirement date.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If the NHL is going to fire (or reitre) refs for making "make-up calls", they're not going to have any officials left.

I can't believe that anyone who has watched more than 120 minutes of NHL hockey doesn't realize that the refs ignore most infractions, and attempt to balance out the number of power players (unless something out of the ordinary is happening). I thought this is how they were told to do their jobs.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I realize if they called every penalty by the book the game would be as fascinating as golf but that ref seemed to have an issue with Nashville the way he said it. BTW, I'm not a Nashville fan. And yes, he will be allowed to retire and pull a pension so no real harm to his retirement.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Perhaps he missed a call and was looking to make up for his mistake? it could be that or perhaps a player said something to him that was nasty and "unsportsman like", and he was looking to make a call based on that..

I mean there are plenty of reasons which most fans don't understand when it comes to players getting called for penalties..

I mean a dude could get called just based on his attitude and behavior if he's been told to knock it off too many times and he refuses to listen.

Hockey is one of those sports where a player realistically can get called for anything - of course it works both ways - some players can get away with some pretty egregious stuff if they otherwise have a clean track record.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays

Fun Fact: Tim Peel's sister is married to my Dad's cousin. Actually, that's not that fun and I can't even be certain it is truly a fact. But, it no doubt will be the last time anybody ever talks about Tim Peel so I figure this was my last chance to mention it.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

If the NHL is going to fire (or reitre) refs for making "make-up calls", they're not going to have any officials left.

I can't believe that anyone who has watched more than 120 minutes of NHL hockey doesn't realize that the refs ignore most infractions, and attempt to balance out the number of power players (unless something out of the ordinary is happening). I thought this is how they were told to do their jobs.

I agree.

I think this was more of a thing the NHL "had" to do in order to save face because he was caught on the mic.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree.

I think this was more of a thing the NHL "had" to do in order to save face because he was caught on the mic.

Probably, but as hockey fans we all know there is absolutely nothing unusual about this. I mean even if it was a "hot mic moment" I cant see any hockey fan being shocked by this, lol.. I don't know why the NHL responded at all...

Besides, I'm not the biggest fan of "micing" up players or officials. If they want to do it for the all-star game, fine - but don't mic up officials or players during real games.. I don't get the point in any of it, and it's not like anything these mic'd up players or officials have to say is at all interesting or gives a fan more insight into the game..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See bmoy88's Items on eBay

What makes it weird - according to Matt Duchesne - is that Peel said that to Filip Forsberg on the the Nashville bench.

That doesn't sound like something underhanded.