Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I only wish there was a feasible way to turn all of the designs in this thread from all the artists into physical cards.

To make high quality (i.e. Upper Deck Series 1 level), I'm assuming it would be tough to do.

What I've been doing for customs: I put 4 cards onto an image (and their 4 backs onto another image). I have them printed at Walmart on a 5x7 flat greeting card, and then use a paper cutter to separate them.

The centering doesn't end up perfect, the quality isn't top notch - but they're "good enough" for my needs... and each 4 card panel costs less than $1 (plus shipping). My most recent order had 13 four card panels, so 52 cards total. Cost me $17.02, with shipping..... so about 33 cents each. Cost per card goes up if the order is smaller, because there are fewer cards to share the shipping costs.

What I'm printing up are cards that I'm intending to send through the mail for autographs..... and they work perfectly.

SCF Rewards
    Country

To make high quality (i.e. Upper Deck Series 1 level), I'm assuming it would be tough to do.

What I've been doing for customs: I put 4 cards onto an image (and their 4 backs onto another image). I have them printed at Walmart on a 5x7 flat greeting card, and then use a paper cutter to separate them.

The centering doesn't end up perfect, the quality isn't top notch - but they're "good enough" for my needs... and each 4 card panel costs less than $1 (plus shipping). My most recent order had 13 four card panels, so 52 cards total. Cost me $17.02, with shipping..... so about 33 cents each. Cost per card goes up if the order is smaller, because there are fewer cards to share the shipping costs.

What I'm printing up are cards that I'm intending to send through the mail for autographs..... and they work perfectly.

Well if you ever want to trade your customs I'm game.. I used to do graphic design many moons ago when it was actually a marketable "skill" and not a hobby, lol. I did a lot of advertising and album covers, but I did cards too, and now my computer doesn't even have photoshop, lol otherwise I'd be making cards left and right...

So yea, I'd trade anyone "actual cards" if they want to trade their physical custom cards - like I said I really enjoy them, and as a collector I really like unique items... Also, I have some cut auto's if anyone wants to use them for cards... I have a Dennis Hull I want to do something with, it's on the back of a Patrick Sharp poster, lol.. Presumably it's from a #10 promotional night at the United Center considering Sharp and Hull both wore #10, I mean that's the only sense I can make of why Dennis Hull would sign the back of a Patrick Sharp poster...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Blargh's Items on eBay

I love these, they're fantastic - especially the Bannerman (I PC Bannerman) but they're all equally awesome.. I really dig the retro designs and would love to see them as actual cards, I mean they'd all certainly have a spot in my PC, lol.

Actually, I've run across your blog a couple of times, I enjoy it and love looking at the designs an content in general.

I only wish there was a feasible way to turn all of the designs in this thread from all the artists into physical cards.

I have kinda let the blog die again. I don't have the time anymore to do the long posts and research that goes with. Then when I try to do a short post, I end up feeling like it has to be more indepth. So I up doing neither. Posting a bit on instagram here and there when the mood hits since I don't feel the need to write up a biography while I am at it.

I am printed several for TTMs. At one point I was printing the back off on construction paper to give it that vintage feeling. Last time I printed I did the fronts and backs on 4x6s at Walmart's instaprint kiosk. Then I glued them onto cardstock, 80lb or 110lb I believe, to give them a bit more thickness and rigid. Cut them out, but I can never get the nice straight edges. It's like 1990 Pro Set with almost every card being slightly shorter or wider. If I can get my printer up and running I might try printing the back on the cardstock so the backs don't look like photos.

The best is when you send them out for TTMs and the player keeps the extra one or even asks for more.
    Hidden Content
    Home of the 1988-89 OPC Tribute Set

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

The best is when you send them out for TTMs and the player keeps the extra one or even asks for more.

^^^^^^

This. I typically print two copies... ask them to sign one, and suggest they keep one. Keep in mind that I'm only doing custom cards for people who never had cards of their own (mostly ex-Oilers, and now doing a lot of Slapshot cards, and the Slapshot stuff is mostly obscure actors or minor league hockey players). It's well over 50% of the time that they do keep the extra, rather than sending back both. I've had at least four occasions where they've asked me to print more copies - and I'm more than happy to oblige.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    My traders on Flickr

^^^^^^

This. I typically print two copies... ask them to sign one, and suggest they keep one. Keep in mind that I'm only doing custom cards for people who never had cards of their own (mostly ex-Oilers, and now doing a lot of Slapshot cards, and the Slapshot stuff is mostly obscure actors or minor league hockey players). It's well over 50% of the time that they do keep the extra, rather than sending back both. I've had at least four occasions where they've asked me to print more copies - and I'm more than happy to oblige.

This is a really cool idea, and I would assume a pretty great thing for those guys to receive in the mail!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Air Force
    Tennessee Titans Cincinnati Reds

I've had a little success with TTM for some of the customs that I made. I only printed out the front and made them a little bigger than the standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 card. I want to be able to see my autographs.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

With my custom cards, I struggle with paper stiffness. I print fronts and backs on either a textured paper or a photo paper, and either pressure tape or non-water solvent glue the sheets to a comic book backing board.

This works decently if you want a layered card (ie a jersey card) but for base cards it is a bit thick.

What do you use to simulate “Upper Deck Series 1” base cards?

Ps: I use my Circuit and foil paper to get foil elements on the card. Sometimes I use the laser toner and heat trick, but that gets complicated fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is a really cool idea, and I would assume a pretty great thing for those guys to receive in the mail!

Typically for NHLers, I don't bother with TTM requests if they've signed for one of the hockey card companies. For the most part - there's no need to (for me anyway, and what I'm looking to collect). I've got a wantlist of ex-Oilers that's under 35 names (most are WHA era players, a few recent ones). If someone came along and had a private signing booked with one of those players - I'd be happy to pay a few bucks for a signature.

TTM requests, for the most part, we're asking to get something (an autograph) for free. I don't think it's a big deal (my goal is always to make things as simple as possible for the person I'm mailing to. Sign this, stick it in the envelope I've included, you're done!). I'm asking them to sign their name, and take a moment to drop it in the mail box - no big deal.

But I am still asking them to give me something for nothing - so especially for guys that never had cards of their own, including a copy of the custom card for them (IMO) is a must. Maybe they want it, maybe they don't - but it's something. If they do ask for extra copies.... the number I send is up to them.

I'm happy enough that they've taken the time to sign and mail it back to me. If they really liked what I made - I'm very happy to share it with them.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Air Force
    Tennessee Titans Cincinnati Reds

I agree. I try to send 2 different "cards" (and sometimes a real card) for them to choose and always send at least 2 each of whatever I want signed and tell them to keep whatever they like.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Here are some customs shows with autographs. Below is also two cool custom cards which I own the Bundy as I have a pair of shoes to go with it.

DON

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast