Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

1975 Topps error card- inquiry & advice

Appreciate assistance pointing me to the right community to shop a 1975 Topps error that incorrectly places Padres banner on Wilkes Davis’ card.

I searched extensively and couldn’t locate a similar error card.

Specially looking for recommendation of where to list the card and an assessment of value.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCF Rewards
    Country

Granted I'm no expert on 1975 Topps but I haven't seen an error like this one before. Might be a valuable one too since the 1975 Topps set is a highly collected one.
    @BSEBALLCOMMISH75 for more help
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Ohio State Buckeyes Detroit Red Wings

Greetings:
    Obviously the correct card is #10 as for the Padres version it's the wrong photo & player. Might be just a printing mistake that was issued in an earlier run. I have not seen any others that would match up yet the back is clearly for Dave Roberts to the younger generation this is not same Dave Roberts who is the current Dodgers manager. My view is that again early process in printing henceforth the wrong picture kinda like the infamous 1984 Topps Gary Matthews on a Steve Carlton as vice-versa. As for a value it's hard to say.
    Last edited by BSEBALLCOMMISH75; 04-02-2021 at 09:34 PM.
    "Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.
    S.R.'75

SCF Rewards
    Country

If this was just a wrong back I really wouldn't think too much of it but I can't say I've seen a card for any year where you had a wrong back plus a different team on the front. Different coloring border also.

Where did you get the card? Pack pulled or acquired in a collection? That might help a little to determining what this card is.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was looking thru a bunch of commons I acquired in the late 80s and to be honest if they weren’t arranged close together I would have never caught it. I had four Willie Davis cards and the color change caught my eye as I was shuffling thru. For a second, I thought he might have been traded pre season but he was still wearing an Expo uniform. Luck I even caught in a pile 400-500 cards

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was looking thru a bunch of commons I acquired in the late 80s and to be honest if they weren’t arranged close together I would have never caught it. I had four Willie Davis cards and the color change caught my eye as I was shuffling thru. For a second, I thought he might have been traded pre season but he was still wearing an Expo uniform. Luck I even caught in a pile 400-500 cards

Super fascinating and great luck catching it because I'm willing to bet that most people wouldn't be checking the backs and really couldn't tell you what the front of a Willie Davis card should look like. Honestly your best bet might be to contact Beckett Magazine. I know I know nobody reads that anymore and they are garbage devoid of knowledge now but you might be able to get an answer on the change somebody knows there or if they can contact somebody who would know something about it. Plus if the card is rare they can publicize it to the demographic that would be interested in the card.

Seems like this is an ultra rare error that escaped the Topps facilities but unless people know of it they won't want it since they don't know it exists. I don't know what the value of it would be so I don't want to give you any false hope but if this is some "one of a kind" test issue from Topps 1975 that accidentally got out I could see $1000 in this crazy high selling market happening. But if you don't want to go the long research route on the card just put it up on eBay with a million $ or best offer auction with the pictures of both cards. Then contact Keith Olbermann or somebody will alert him and if the card is something you will get an offer. He is always on the lookout for super scarce unique Topps stuff.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Los Angeles Dodgers San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @musclebeech See Musclebeech's Items on eBay Instagram:
    Member is PayPal Verified

@CharlieE

If you are looking to sell or trade for it, I'd potentially be interested.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1) Does the card stock feel the same on the "error" card as on the other card? Might just be the lighting in photo you included, but the cardstock looks different between the two.
    2) What's going on with the blue in the upper right portion of the "error" card? The arch around the photo doesn't appear nearly as crisp as it normally foes on '75s, and it almost looks like a bad photoshop job.

Appreciate assistance pointing me to the right community to shop a 1975 Topps error that incorrectly places Padres banner on Wilkes Davis’ card.

I searched extensively and couldn’t locate a similar error card.

Specially looking for recommendation of where to list the card and an assessment of value.

Last edited by Musclebeech; 04-06-2021 at 01:42 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

i second this. IT does look shopped and the cardstock looks different.

@CharlieE

If you are looking to sell or trade for it, I'd potentially be interested.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1) Does the card stock feel the same on the "error" card as on the other card? Might just be the lighting in photo you included, but the cardstock looks different between the two.
    2) What's going on with the blue in the upper right portion of the "error" card? The arch around the photo doesn't appear nearly as crisp as it normally foes on '75s, and it almost looks like a bad photoshop job.