Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

Hall of Fame voting changes? You're Opinion

I do a podcast in which I reexamine players who have strong cases for the baseball hall of fame.

I personally think the BBWAA should have their rights taken away and the voting be either 1. fan based or 2. Veteran committee/current player only.

There are so many guys who fall through the cracks of the baseball writers voting that it almost makes me mad.

one example of a player who got 0 recognition is DWIGHT EVANS.
    He's the only player in the top 15 All Time for right fielders (ranked by JAWS) not in the hall of fame. After three years on the ballot he fell off in 1999 with 3.9%
    He has a career war of 67 which puts him ahead of close to 20 hall of famers and for comparison Mike Trout's WAR is 74, and he is a no doubt hall of famer if he retired today.

So what do you think? Should the hall of fame change how the voting is?
    We have some writers return blank ballots, others only fill out 1 or 2 names. Should they get their voting rights taken away?

Your answers might be read in my next podcast

You can find links to my show here, it can be heard on platforms including spotify and apple podcasts.

redcircle.com/shows/worthy-of-the-hall
    Last edited by stlcardinalsfan; 04-10-2021 at 03:06 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

I think they let too many in. Harold Baines? Good player , but not hofer.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

I agree with Delvin, "too many" have been voted in. However, no matter how it is done SOMEONE will STILL be upset if some of their "favorite" players don't get in. Also, "some" want to have those who 'violated' MLB rules to be PUT IN the HOF. Many think that players like ROSE,SOSA,McGWIRE, and CLEMENS should be IN. In my opinion, the ONLY way they should get in is to BUY AN ADMISSION TICKET just like most visitors have to OR wait until someone opens a HOF for those who VIOLATE THE RULES. The only one who maybe should be in but isn't, in my opinion, is "Shoeless" Joe Jackson. He was found NOT GUILTY, and was one of the very very very best players of his time. The four I mentioned above KNEW what they were doing, and were caught. So, keep the current way the way to vote in HOFer's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I would be interested in seeing a veteran committee have some role in the matter. There are going to be flaws no matter what way you look at it. If keeping the same standards with the baseball writers than maybe they should have voting privileges revoked if can't make one single vote or at least give some insight as to why they didn't vote. There are a number of guys on this committee who are flat out ignorant.

I don't mind Barry Bonds at all, but I am not a fan of his. That being said he probably won 3 MVP awards and countless Gold Gloves before his body transformed.

If people have a problem with Bonds, McGwire, etc than they should have a problem with Bud Selig being voted into the HOF. Were PEDs going on before his tenure? Yes They also reached maximum capacity during his tenure and he did nothing about it. His tenure is where majority of this skyrocketed. Selig didn't have a problem with the homers of Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, etc in the moment.

If Selig can be voted into the HOF for all his success and failures, than past MLB players deserve the same right IMO

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Baltimore Orioles Washington Nationals

Bud Selig DID NOT "play" in MLB. He DIDN'T use the "drugs' to help him at bat and/or on the mound (or in the field). The "players" who violated such rules, in my opinion, should NOT BE ALLOWED to be voted into the HOF. Also, players/managers/etc. should not "gamble" and make bets while they are still active. That, again, violates the rules. So, those who VIOLATE RULES should NOT be in the HOF.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I have no problem if you feel that way about players

Bud Selig was the acting commissioner in 1992 and got voted as full time commissioner during......the homerun chase of 1998. It is all about $$$ at the end of the day. It is fine if you want to turn your head and say just the players are responsible, but you are also turning your head as the person in charge of everything in MLB knew exactly what was going on at the time. It was Selig turning his head to the visible PED/steroid use instead of doing anything about it for a number of years.

The first punishment was something like 10 days, not 10 games LOL If baseball didn't take it seriously, why would anyone else?

Baseball treated PED/Steroid use in the 90s like a cop would treat you for going 65 mph in a 60mph speed zone.
    Last edited by markw2856; 04-12-2021 at 02:03 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See PhantomApache's Items on eBay

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Morals. Bonds and others were the best players of their time. Harold Baines in and players like Rose, Bonds, Clemens, and others out makes no sense in my opinion. What happens if something in the future is deemed illegal or outrageous by the current generation; are they going to go back and remove players from the Hall of Fame? This is going to be a hot topic forever. I respect everyone's opinion and we can agree to disagree. I am not in charge of, nor do I have a say who is included in the Hall. Until then, I'll live ;)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't really know what stats you are referring to that have Trout equal to DWIGHT EVANS because Trout has been amazing so far and he destroys Evans in every way possible. He's almost been Mantle level so far.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I don't think there is a fair way at this time to please everyone. If you let the PEDs in, Rose and Shoeless Jackson need to be in. I don't think writers should have any say at all!

Bake
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

A guy who I am surprised is not in is Fred McGriff. .284 BA, 493 HR, 1550+ RBI, .509 SLG, .886 OPS in under 9000 ABs. Multiple time home run champ and was arguably the best 1st baseman in MLB for at least the 1st half of the 90s.

With so many players with borderline career #s like Baines, Larry Walker, and Jim Rice who have gone in the last 20 years, I'm very surprised The Crime Dog has not been inducted especially recently.