Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Fun new eBay problem!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See allonblack13's Items on eBay

Fun new eBay problem!

Hey gang, been a while, hope everyone is doing well. Just thought I'd pop in to let you all know about a new issue with eBay.

I've been selling a lot over the pandemic, clearing up space for new things, etc. It's been a great run over the last year, not a single "missing" package...until last week when I got a refund request on a BIN. I look at the seller, under 400 feedback. OK, why did I send without tracking? It was just under my $50 tracking requirement but I never sell BINs to low feedback members without tracking. I start looking through my messages and find the offer from eBay...seller is listed as having nearly 4,000 feedback. That explains why I shipped untracked. Double check refund request...definitely less than 400 feedback. Find another email from the buyer...less than 300. Weird.

I contact eBay and basically get the "it's your fault for not sending tracked". Well, yes it is eBay, but you also provided incorrect data for me to make that decision from. 4,000 feedback is most likely a safe non-tracked send and if that number is correct when I get the eBay offer, I ask to send tracked and the scammer backs off. No dice, it's my fault. No acknowledgment that their system is clearly doing something funky. So I guess I should have not trusted the eBay message or at the very least kept checking the feedbacks to make sure those numbers weren't randomly changing . I dunno, eBay doing eBay things...

Anyway, I'll cool my jets on auctions for now, maybe it's that time of the year when the scammers are coming out of the woodwork, getting primed up for the playoffs. Everyone stay safe and keep an eye on those feedback numbers lol

Shawn

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Shawn,
    this lady told me a long time to avoid selling on ebay.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 3.59.35 PM.png

I truly believe and stay as far away I can from ebay as a seller.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

What was the other persons rating %?

I have a few hundred feedback on eBay at 100% rating and that can be quite deceiving. I could probably have 2k, but majority of people don't like to leave feedback.

What are your buying/selling settings at? I don't sell a lot on eBay, but I keep my settings fairly strict. It might limit me from getting max value, but I also haven't had a problem from my end.

Like you said, unless tracking is provided you are only going to play the what if game. Whether you provide free shipping or buyer pays for it (my choice) I think tracking should always be included.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What was the other persons rating %?

I have a few hundred feedback on eBay at 100% rating and that can be quite deceiving. I could probably have 2k, but majority of people don't like to leave feedback.

What are your buying/selling settings at? I don't sell a lot on eBay, but I keep my settings fairly strict. It might limit me from getting max value, but I also haven't had a problem from my end.

Like you said, unless tracking is provided you are only going to play the what if game. Whether you provide free shipping or buyer pays for it (my choice) I think tracking should always be included.

If it were doable, I'd agree with you.... and get a tracking number all of the time. Problem is, in Canada, that's expensive. $12 minimum.... so if you charge that, you're never going to make an low or mid end sales.

If I'm looking at a card that I think is worth about $20, and I have to pay $23 with shipping.... okay. That's fine. No way I'm going to spend $32. I'll wait and get it cheaper. I know in the USA, you guys can get pretty cheap domestic tracking. If I were you, yes..... I'd use that every single time. If your selling on eBay and have checked off for the global program - it might appear to you that shipping to Canada is cheap, but you don't see on the other end that the buyer in Canada is having to spend $25+ on shipping, for a card that only costs $20 (again, that basically kills those sales).

Back to the original post..... to be totally honest: On eBay, I don't even look at the feedback (unless it's really low, or they do something to set off warning bells). I keep it pretty standard: Under $50, and I'll ship regular. Over $50 and I ship tracked... I charge $3, or $12 within Canada for those two options. Knock on wood.... but I've never had to deal with a chargeback on eBay.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

That is crazy that tracking/shipping costs that much! If you send like a first class package or priority mail in the US, tracking is included for free within the US.

I have and never will ship outside of the United States if trading on here or on eBay. It might limit some of my hockey pickups on here but I don't collect that much beyond a few things.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That is crazy that tracking/shipping costs that much! If you send like a first class package or priority mail in the US, tracking is included for free within the US.

I have and never will ship outside of the United States if trading on here or on eBay. It might limit some of my hockey pickups on here but I don't collect that much beyond a few things.

Yeah, I get that. It's so much easier staying within your own country for shipping.... cheaper, simpler. One thing I have grown to hate doing, is filling out customs forms when going to the post office. Tiny little form, must duplicate all the address info I already wrote on the package. I try and avoid doing stuff like that as much as I can.

I'm assuming since USPS must do (roughly) 10x the volume of Canada Post, it's a lot easier for them to do cheap tracking.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See allonblack13's Items on eBay

If it were doable, I'd agree with you.... and get a tracking number all of the time. Problem is, in Canada, that's expensive. $12 minimum.... so if you charge that, you're never going to make an low or mid end sales.

If I'm looking at a card that I think is worth about $20, and I have to pay $23 with shipping.... okay. That's fine. No way I'm going to spend $32. I'll wait and get it cheaper. I know in the USA, you guys can get pretty cheap domestic tracking. If I were you, yes..... I'd use that every single time. If your selling on eBay and have checked off for the global program - it might appear to you that shipping to Canada is cheap, but you don't see on the other end that the buyer in Canada is having to spend $25+ on shipping, for a card that only costs $20 (again, that basically kills those sales).

Back to the original post..... to be totally honest: On eBay, I don't even look at the feedback (unless it's really low, or they do something to set off warning bells). I keep it pretty standard: Under $50, and I'll ship regular. Over $50 and I ship tracked... I charge $3, or $12 within Canada for those two options. Knock on wood.... but I've never had to deal with a chargeback on eBay.

This is basically how I run my sales as well. Whatever, I'm at fault for not sleuthing up the whole situation but it's frustrating that eBay basically refused to acknowledge that their system was generating completely made up feedback data and that it played a role in costing me about $50 usd.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    COMC Cards For Sale

Not an eBay fan myself even though I have over 1600 transactions with 100% feedback.
    Wanted to see what else is out there - https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...ther-than-eBay

Definitely not my intention to highjack your thread. eBay Customer Service is fun to deal with ... hopefully for us some new comes out.
    Shoot me a PM if you want me to remove my link.

Stay safe,
    Kid

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Anyway, I'll cool my jets on auctions for now, maybe it's that time of the year when the scammers are coming out of the woodwork, getting primed up for the playoffs. Everyone stay safe and keep an eye on those feedback numbers lol

Shawn

I have a weird feeling that scammers are buying wax wrappers and common vintage cards and reselling them as sealed

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

then again....you'd have to buy the gum too....i dunno