Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Need help, is this old goalie gear?

I was on a Skype call recently with a US supplier, this guy had a bunch of memorabilia and pictures on the walls behind him so we got talking about his collection of memorabilia and cards. He was quite excited to talk about his collection, something we can all we're proud to do whenever we can!
    He wanted to show me something and came back with this chest protector. He thinks it may be a hockey goalie chest protector, I'm not sure really what's it from. It is turn of the century, it could be a chest protector for a goalie, or even for a back catcher in baseball. He also collects old fencing memorabilia so could be something from a fencing outfit, although I have no idea what fencers wore.
    So if anyone has any information on what piece of equipment is from - sport, era, year?
    Thanks in advance.
    Chest protector 1.jpg
    Chest protector 2.jpg
    Chest protector 3.jpg

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Maybe @IrbeFan4Life could help you?
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

My first guess is baseball, but who knows what these guys wore back in the day. It wouldn't surprise me if some hockey goalie used baseball catcher gear as a cross-over protection thing they did. But yeah, Bruce is probably your best bet.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Looks like baseball... a google search of vintage baseball catchers chest protector shows very similar items.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the input. I have done some research as well, in fact found that this guy has this chest protector listed on eBay! (trust me, not trying to promote his listing, actually almost disappointed) Don't know the guy at all, maybe he was just priming me for intel to help his listing.

But - I did find that it very well may be goalie equipment. Found this piece which is described as a 1940s Gerry Cosby.

Gerry Cosby.pdf
    Also found this image, was undated, but showed a full goalie gear set and the chest protector is the same design and shape.

Vintage.pdf
    So I don't think we fully solved this mystery, but it does like a goalie chest protector - from the 1930s/1940s. Thanks again for your help, I'll let this guy know he is probably right.
    Last edited by scarrman; 05-03-2021 at 12:47 PM.