Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't word too good, so I'm going to let a blogger say what I, and many others, are thinking.

http://peerlessprognosticator.blogsp...t-broader.html

He makes a few very good points.

The max fine is what it is. While it is a bit of a joke, I don't think upping the max to 25k (for example) would make one iota of difference. They'd probably set the fine on some mix of the act, and the player's salary. The 750k guys wouldn't get a 25k fine.

But I have said for years, the league needs to come down with a rule book, when it comes to supplementary discipline. If you do X, the suspension is Y. It increases to Y+Z if you've been suspended before (and keeps escalating).

If Tom Wilson gets 10 games for that, and 25 the next time he does something stupid like that, he'll change his ways pretty quickly.

The league won't do it though. They don't want to suspend the stars, even if it's once in a blue moon. I can remember being a teenager (in Ontario). A friend of my father's had access to Habs tickets - he was taking me, my brother, and my father to a game. Since my brother was a Habs fan, I got to pick the opponent. Edmonton wasn't an option, so I picked Philly. Why? Eric Lindros was (arguably) the best player in the league. Know who didn't play that night? Lindros. Why? He was suspended.

If suspension are automatic, Crosby & Ovechkin would have had a few. McDavid would wind up getting his turn too (etc, etc) and they are scared to death of disappointing "one game a year" fans.

You often hear "he should be suspended as long as the other guy is out". You also hear them talk about "intent to injure" (or lack there of).

I think intent shouldn't mean a damn thing. You did it, or you didn't. I can buy that a player did not try and injure his opponent. That's fine. Personally, I think "intent to injure" is actually VERY rare. I don't believe Tom Wilson is trying to injure players. I believe he's playing physical, trying to intimidate, and he's only got one gear. He doesn't know when he should let up, and he doesn't think there are lines that shouldn't be crossed (or at least his line is in a different place than most other players). Trying to guess what the player was thinking: It's meaningless.

The severity of the injury should also NOT be a factor. The author nailed it. Most dirty plays do not result in injuries, so they don't result in suspensions, so (some) players keep doing it... because they don't believe there will be any repercussions, other than a penalty. The penalty is worth it, if it gets the other team playing cautious around you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Just another reason why Bettman and Parros are hated by fans so much. You have the most physical sport without an updated rule book. Player safety is only important when the "higher ups" deem it important.

Wilson is one of those guys you love if he is on your team and hate him if not. That being said it is ludicrous the NHL turned its head on the Wilson matter. The fines and suspensions in this league are at a laughable minor league A level for years. Even if Wilson had no prior suspensions/problems in the past his actions aren't acceptable.

Unfortunately this will keep happening until either a new rule book gets written up plus more harsh suspensions and fines (not holding my breathe) or more likely until we see more extreme situations like this happen.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just another reason why Bettman and Parros are hated by fans so much. You have the most physical sport without an updated rule book. Player safety is only important when the "higher ups" deem it important.

Wilson is one of those guys you love if he is on your team and hate him if not. That being said it is ludicrous the NHL turned its head on the Wilson matter. The fines and suspensions in this league are at a laughable minor league A level for years. Even if Wilson had no prior suspensions/problems in the past his actions aren't acceptable.

Unfortunately this will keep happening until either a new rule book gets written up plus more harsh suspensions and fines (not holding my breathe) or more likely until we see more extreme situations like this happen.

Parros is like the high school principal. You only ever hear from him, when someone is in trouble. I don't think anyone has done that job and been praised by fans. They do that job, and will be hated for it. While I lean towards believing "terrible at job", truth is - he's doing the job that the league wants him to.

I still don't get the dislike people have for Bettman. As far as I can see, he's done a fantastic job with the NHL, since day 1. Hence why he's still doing it almost 30 years after he took the job.

I do believe you're right. Things like this will continue to happen, until the league takes a hard line stance against it (something I don't believe will happen anytime soon). The NHL talks like it takes concussions seriously, but they do not. They take them just serious enough that the league will be able to defend itself in court, if (when) required.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I still don't get the dislike people have for Bettman. As far as I can see, he's done a fantastic job with the NHL, since day 1. Hence why he's still doing it almost 30 years after he took the job.

I do believe you're right. Things like this will continue to happen, until the league takes a hard line stance against it (something I don't believe will happen anytime soon). The NHL talks like it takes concussions seriously, but they do not. They take them just serious enough that the league will be able to defend itself in court, if (when) required.

I agree with your other points but Bettman is not one of them. Fans hate NFL commish Roger Goodell as well and has been on the job awhile. Commissioners are puppets for the owners, that is it. Expand the product and grow revenues...simple as that.

Bettman has for years continually had horrible stances on safety and CTE related to head injuries and playing in the NHL. He routinely stated for years that he does not believe there is a link between hockey and CTE. His legacy will likely take more of a hit after he is done with the job and lawsuits are stacked on the NHL years from now.

Hockey was king in Canada before Bettman and will be afterwards. Hockey is the 4th or 5th most popular sport in the US before Bettman and will be afterwards. Being a pro sports commissioner is a well paid job...also usually the villain role with the fans and hero for the owners.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree with your other points but Bettman is not one of them. Fans hate NFL commish Roger Goodell as well and has been on the job awhile. Commissioners are puppets for the owners, that is it. Expand the product and grow revenues...simple as that.

Bettman has for years continually had horrible stances on safety and CTE related to head injuries and playing in the NHL. He routinely stated for years that he does not believe there is a link between hockey and CTE. His legacy will likely take more of a hit after he is done with the job and lawsuits are stacked on the NHL years from now.

Hockey was king in Canada before Bettman and will be afterwards. Hockey is the 4th or 5th most popular sport in the US before Bettman and will be afterwards. Being a pro sports commissioner is a well paid job...also usually the villain role with the fans and hero for the owners.

Fans hate him, no doubt. I just don't understand why. Call him a puppet if you want.... but I'd label him as an employee of the owners, not a puppet. Their job, as you said, is to expand the product and grow revenues. Bettman has executed his job very well... grown the game, and revenues. Both owners & players have him to thank (in large part), for how wealthy they are today.

Bettman's been hated in Canada for decades (not a hockey guy, hates Canada). I think both of those things are very untrue. While he wasn't a traditional hockey guy when he took the job, he's certainly been a hockey guy for a long time. The "hates Canada" nonsense came from the fact that under his watch, both Quebec & Winnipeg moved south. While it's true that they left, claims of his hatred of Canada ignores the fact that one of his first two expansion teams was in Canada (Ottawa), and he fought tooth and nail to keep the Oilers in Edmonton.

When the owners in QC and Winnipeg basically through the keys on the table and said "I'm done" - there was nobody willing to buy the teams, and keep them where they were. That's the same thing that happened in Atlanta, when the team moved to (shock) Winnipeg.

I would say this on Bettman, when it comes to CTE & head injuries: He's the owner's mouth piece. He's pushing the direction they want him to. The league has made big strides in removing some of the unneeded concussion risks from the game, but I agree with you that they still have a ways to go. Problem is, they're never going to be able to effectively ban headshots, while it's still just a 5 minute major for face punching. Contrary to a lot of online comments, I don't believe the NHL or Bettman have any interest in getting rid of fighting, and they clearly don't have any interest in getting rid of hits to the head.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It is all good I like to hear different views on different topics. I can respect your opinion on Bettman but we definitely don't see eye to eye on him.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Here's the thing with Gary Bettman. His job isn't to make the fans happy. His job is to make 32 people happy. So long as he continues to do that, and doing that entails ensuring each of those 32 billionaires remain billionaires & doing whatever is necessary for same, he will continue to enjoy the role.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yep exactly what was stated in previous posts. I couldn't agree more

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I'm just happy Bettman figured out lockouts don't HAVE to be part of the negotiation strategy.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

My two cents on Tom Wilson is that he is a player that simply does not understand that you can not go over the edge each and every time you are upset with something. I am not going to debate the questionable hits and suspensions that Wilson has already endured, but in all of his interviews describing his actions he talks about how he has to play on that edge b/c if he does not players would walk all over him. This is totally false!

Wilson has ability and skill and is a top 6 player on most teams, so all his goonery is something he does b/c he does not know any better and with the leadership in the NHL he knows he will get away with it. My comments on the last incident were that most tough guys and players would not have gone to the extremes that he did and would have stopped and not rag dolled Panarin and pounded Booch on the back of the head.

A good comparison here is Chara. He could have pounded and unleashed his will a numerous number of times over his career but he does not b/c he respects players, the game and he isn't a freaking idiot.

What I question here more than anything else is why no one on the Capitals have not sat down with Wilson and suggested him to stop his nonsense b/c the team needs him on the ice and not doing the nonsense that he does. With someone with his skillset it is not necessary and I can honestly say he is the only goon in the NHL now that performs these kinds of shenanigans.

He reminds me of a Matt Cooke. A player that has skill and usefulness and not someone that just fights and does nothing else. The NHL is in a good spot with regards to that b/c unlike some people I do not think fighting is a major part of the game and I would much rather see goals scored and pucks saved than a brew ha ha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12