Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See allonblack13's Items on eBay

eBay has really done it this time...

I'm sure a few of you recall some of my various rants about eBay and their overwhelming stupidity. Well, it seems that they may have outdone themselves this time. A few days ago they made a fairly drastic change to how their categories worked. If you've logged in recently and noticed that nothing seems to be showing up in searches or that you can't search out hockey cards effectively, you're seeing the results of these category changes. Now when I jump into my saved player searches my recommendations are filled with auctions for razors, wrenches, jeans, buttons, truck consoles, shoes, etc. etc.. Wow, that's really useful. Not only that but now listing takes significantly longer due to additional categories to complete.

Anyway, a lot of people who specifically deal in collectibles are pretty unhappy.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Techni...nicalissues-db

BANNED

Country
    See jesiahj's Items on eBay

I managed to alter my searches pretty easily but I just went in to lower the prices on a few cards from my active listings page and I just keep getting messages about various things being invalid for this category

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

My auctions and listings were similarly bent out of shape. First the PayPal issue and now this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Have I been using eBay wrong all these years? lol.

I've never searched by category. I'm just wondering what it is that you've lost.

For example, I search for "ranford" - but I don't limit the search to anything. There are a few books, records, non-hockey photos (probably something else that I'm forgetting about) that get mixed in with the search results, but not much. (of course if I was searching for a more common word or name, that would be an issue).

I've got a lot of saved player searches, but the results don't seem any different to me.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

eBay has really done it this time...

I am the same way with Red Deer Rebels…. Literally every player who ever had a junior card I have saved in a search… even some common spelling mistakes and permutations (ITG ward, BTP Ward, In The Game Ward, Between the Pipes Ward, Cam Wrd, Wardo etc)

I am haunted by the cards that may have slipped through. For most rare cards (print runs of 6 or less) I only really get two chances at buying a copy. One is at the product debut (maximum market saturation) and then much later on once the set is “old news” and folks start liquidating their hoards of semi-common player inserts

Landon Ferraro, for instance, was a Detroit prospect (among others) for about 15 minutes. He has a number of patch and auto patch cards that I am looking for. When they come up they almost always sell for under $10 (even for an auto emblem #/6) but so many of them are buried in Red Wings team PCs that they will never see the light of day.

Of ALL Red Deer Rebels cards ever made with a print run of 5 or more, I am down to 28…. Most of which are from the one Leaf set where there was a McDavid/Nugent-Hopkins dual, triple, quad, and octo memorabilia card in jersey/patch over about 6 colors.

I am also down to 8 printing plates and … these are the ones that give me nightmares. I missed a Connor Bleakley plate from ITG Draft (listed at $30) the week it came out and none of the other 3 have come out since 2017!

Live by eBay, die by eBay I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rraincock; 05-17-2021 at 12:07 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

i've noticed over the past week they've been experimenting with the 'years' filter, and it's a disaster.

When i use their new 'years' filter i barely get any listings even though there are plenty of cards in those years available when i don't use the years filter.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

Have I been using eBay wrong all these years? lol.

I've never searched by category. I'm just wondering what it is that you've lost.

For example, I search for "ranford" - but I don't limit the search to anything. There are a few books, records, non-hockey photos (probably something else that I'm forgetting about) that get mixed in with the search results, but not much. (of course if I was searching for a more common word or name, that would be an issue).

I've got a lot of saved player searches, but the results don't seem any different to me.

The issue is, if you do a search for PSA 10 rookie it will bring up all cards matching that criteria. you could then narrow it down to hockey only (or whatever sport) and it would bring up only hockey. You cant do that anymore. If you want to just browse what is available on ebay you'd have to see every card from every sport.
    Collecting Ryan Murphy. Always looking to add PC Cards. Show me what you have to trade or sell!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

i've noticed over the past week they've been experimenting with the 'years' filter, and it's a disaster.

When i use their new 'years' filter i barely get any listings even though there are plenty of cards in those years available when i don't use the years filter.

Yeah, it would depends on the sellers using the fields correctly. I can see it being a mess.

The issue is, if you do a search for PSA 10 rookie it will bring up all cards matching that criteria. you could then narrow it down to hockey only (or whatever sport) and it would bring up only hockey. You cant do that anymore. If you want to just browse what is available on ebay you'd have to see every card from every sport.

Right, that makes sense. I guess I don't search general terms enough to have noticed the switch - but I can certainly see why that would suck for those of you that do.