Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Value My Card

SCF Rewards
    Country

Value My Card

Hello,

I figured I would start this thread to get some insight from other hockey card collectors. The point of this thread is to place a ballpark value on some of the rarer cards out there which have no book value and little sales data to assess an objective value.. Obviously in most cases a card is only worth what a collector, investor or dealer is willing to pay for it and that's where the hockey card collectors on this board can step-in and help by sharing their views on the cards pictured - and what they would value the card at or what they would be objectively comfortable with paying for the card if they were in the market for one.

I figure I'm not the only one with extremely rare cards that are difficult to place a value on - or even ballpark value.. So yea, anyone in this situation please share what you have.. Oh and please try to be honest if you're going to share input, lol..

So since it's my thread and I made it for a reason I shall start it off with a few of my following rarities I would appreciate your input on:

2015-16 UD SPGU #91 Bobby Hull "True Base RET LEG" S/N # 7/9

2014-15 UD SPGU #84 Mark Messier "True Base RET LEG" S/N # 2/11

2019-20 Leaf/ITG "Legendary Numbers #31" Billy Smith & Grant Fuhr GU Jersey #LN-06 S/N # 18/25

Obviously backstops of back-to-back dynasties and arguably the best goalies of the 80's, when you think about the goaltending behind the Islanders and Oilers dynasties these are the two main guys - both obviously members of the HHOF - and both on one card with two GU swatches. It's really tough to beat a card like this if you were a hockey fan in the 80's, even if either one of them - or both - consistently destroyed your home team, lol.

2019-20 Leaf/ITG "All-Time Top 20 Fantasy Seasons" Denis Potvin GU Memorabilia (Glove/Skate) #ATFS-05 S/N # 1/25

This is an awesome card and piece of hockey history really. I believe the swatch is a glove - it's either a glove or a skate - it's without question a piece of leather and what makes it really cool is that the leather is "well used" so Potvin certainly wore this piece of equipment for not one game but at least over the course of a season - if not longer.

2004-05 Upper Deck Zdeno Chara #122 "High Gloss" S/N # 10/10

These cards are difficult to find for sale or to find sales data on regardless - so I only have a few examples to go by, since Chara is a shoe-in for the HOF the best comparison I was able to find was 04-05 UD High Gloss Brodeur which sold for $90 bucks, but that was a while back.. TBH, I really had no idea how rare these "High Gloss" were. It must be a hobby exclusive only.. Also, are High Gloss considered Parallels?, if so then perhaps Beckett should add a multiplier? maybe x100?

2004-05 UD: Legends Classics #27 Gordie Howe Platinum Parallel S/N # 5/10

This card is actually Howe's "true base card" from the set. Most players in this set have their "true base regular card" (as can be seen below), then there are the "HOF Showcase" & "Career Achievements" subsets which focus on well, the players career and their achievements, lol.. So yea, I have no idea what this card should be valued at - I mean it is Howe's true card from the set and not one of the subset cards. I saw a couple of Howe's "HOF Showcase" Platinum Parallel xx/10 on eBay listed for $189.99, I mean - that value seems a bit steep to me but I suppose people can ask what they want.... I have seen other Platinum Parallels sell for good money ($40-$100) but none of the players were even close to the status of Gordie Howe, lol.. I don't recall which HOF'ers they were but they were "minor" HOF'ers (if there is such a thing as a "minor HOF'er", lol.

Either way, this is a really cool set I wasn't aware of until recently. I really like these sets that focus on HOF'ers and players that have long since been retired - that's why I buy a lot of ITG - they do a fantastic job when it comes to players of the past... I do have a nice chunk of this "Legends Classics" set thus far tho and completing it is certainly on my priority list.... If anyone has any base cards from this set, I know they're not worth much but I would compensate well for the ones I need, lol.... How is this, I have a NM-MT 81-82 Topps Jari Kurri rookie for anyone that can help me complete this set?.. I'd also be interested in any sets that focus on the old timers

Yea, that's it for me right now - although I do have several more cards I would like some input on. Like I pointed out tho - if you have cards with no objective value, please share them and I would be glad to give you my opinion.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The Howe is probably the best of the bunch, in terms of value. I'm guessing that would fetch at least $50, maybe closer to $100.

I'd be surprised if you could top $25 on any of the others.

SPGU base cards are criminally under appreciated. Not many people are chasing those sets, so there's no real driver on the prices (unless you've got RCs). While Hull & Messier are among the greatest players of all time, they fall outside of the "Tier 1 Legend" status, that has made prices balloon in the past year.

The Chara is a cool card, I'm guessing it's on a want list or two somewhere.... but it's a rare parallel, and not even on the team he's best known for. You'd probably find a lot of takers, if the price is low enough, but I would be surprised to learn that there are 10 people actively searching for that card.

I like the Leaf jersey cards, but the market is pretty soft of most of those. I'm guessing $5 - $10 for the Potvin, and $10-$20 for the dual.