Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'll let a Habs fan chime in and correct me, but this is my understanding:

Patrick Roy loved playing for Jaques Demers. Demers was very public about the fact that the Montreal had only one superstar, and his name was Patrick Roy. Demers stroked the man's ego, and Roy liked it. He was a special player, and Demers treated him like he was special.

Tremblay had a very different approach. He treated everyone on the roster like they were the same. They're all equals. Roy lost his special treatment, and he didn't like it much.

I'm guessing there was an incident or two (or 8?) leading up to that game.... but Tremblay absolutely left Roy in to embarrass him. I'm assuming Roy had done something(s) recently to show up the coach, or remind people that unlike the other 22 players on the roster.... he was special.

I think it was team President Ronald Corey that was down on the bench when Roy was finally pulled (after 9). That's who Roy told that he was done in Montreal. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was Rejean Houle (the GM). Either way - pretty odd for an executive to come down to the bench during a game.... but when your star goalie (who doesn't like the coach) is being left in the game to embarrass him - I guess that's what you do.

You have to wonder: What happens if Corey comes down to the bench after the 7th goal, and fires Tremblay on the spot, gives Roy the hook, and coaches himself for the rest of the game.

Oh I understand and knew all about that - but there has to be more to the story than just that... No doubt Roy was exceptional and elite but he makes Sean Avery look like a Choir Boy - Ok, perhaps that is a stretch but.. I mean - me personally - even as a teenager way back then I never viewed Roy as a Masterton Trophy winner to say the least or even nominated, he probably was but whatever, lol....

Look, it's one thing to have beef with your coach or team, but beef to the point you cant even let it go or occupy the same room and allow the "team game" to distract you?... IDK

Was Roy really that narcissistic er arrogant?

I mean in his defense - he did play with quite a few Hall of Famer's in Colorado, and he wasn't the face of the franchise in Colorado either - that was Sakic/Forsberg obviously but Roy was certainly there - so if he was looking for a land/city where not only was he was the face of the franchise but was "the guy" he was traded to the wrong city because I can assure you that Roy could have walked around all damn day in Denver in 1997 and no one would have recognized him as "that guy" that's on the tip of their tongue whom looks very familiar somehow and they're certain they know them from TV, lol... But hey, perhaps in Montreal it wasn't the team but rather the notoriety he couldn't handle? perhaps he was looking for any way out?.. That makes way more sense to me..

Now, if the whole "team thing" is true then I get Roy's body language from that game when he throws his hands up - he was probably saying "team, what team?"... As a goalie myself I kinda get that because it can be absolutely agitating when your D is just having a bad game, but most goalies can kinda deal with that and accept it, apparently Roy couldn't - not couldn't but that was just the last straw...

Look, there was more there during that game than can speak words.. I think Roy was done after 4-5 goals and after he wasn't pulled that was it... He presume Roy - of course this is just a presumption as a goalie myself - didn't want to play that night... And YES that happens with goalies in competitive situations - sometimes you're not there in the head for whatever reason -- it's just not happening... Of course that's why they cal us weirdo's, lol but I think every goalie that pays or played competitive hockey has been in that "I cant play" position before.. Fine we're weirdo's, lol

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Oh I understand and knew all about that - but there has to be more to the story than just that... No doubt Roy was exceptional and elite but he makes Sean Avery look like a Choir Boy - Ok, perhaps that is a stretch but.. I mean - me personally - even as a teenager way back then I never viewed Roy as a Masterton Trophy winner to say the least or even nominated, he probably was but whatever, lol....

Look, it's one thing to have beef with your coach or team, but beef to the point you cant even let it go or occupy the same room and allow the "team game" to distract you?... IDK

Was Roy really that narcissistic er arrogant?

I mean in his defense - he did play with quite a few Hall of Famer's in Colorado, and he wasn't the face of the franchise in Colorado either - that was Sakic/Forsberg obviously but Roy was certainly there - so if he was looking for a land/city where not only was he was the face of the franchise but was "the guy" he was traded to the wrong city because I can assure you that Roy could have walked around all damn day in Denver in 1997 and no one would have recognized him as "that guy" that's on the tip of their tongue whom looks very familiar somehow and they're certain they know them from TV, lol... But hey, perhaps in Montreal it wasn't the team but rather the notoriety he couldn't handle? perhaps he was looking for any way out?.. That makes way more sense to me..

Now, if the whole "team thing" is true then I get Roy's body language from that game when he throws his hands up - he was probably saying "team, what team?"... As a goalie myself I kinda get that because it can be absolutely agitating when your D is just having a bad game, but most goalies can kinda deal with that and accept it, apparently Roy couldn't - not couldn't but that was just the last straw...

Look, there was more there during that game than can speak words.. I think Roy was done after 4-5 goals and after he wasn't pulled that was it... He presume Roy - of course this is just a presumption as a goalie myself - didn't want to play that night... And YES that happens with goalies in competitive situations - sometimes you're not there in the head for whatever reason -- it's just not happening... Of course that's why they cal us weirdo's, lol but I think every goalie that pays or played competitive hockey has been in that "I cant play" position before.. Fine we're weirdo's, lol

Yeah, Roy does come across as a bit of a narcist and certainly arrogant. He may not be the most pleasant guy to hang around with. I dunno. He was one heck of a fantastic goalie though.

You're probably right that Sakic & Forsberg were more the "face of the franchise" types for Colorado (Sakic in particular) but if we're talking about the all time greats.... Patrick Roy is somewhere in the top 5 greatest goalies of all time. We can debate where exactly.... but does anyone consider Sakic or Forsberg to be top 10 centers of all time? (I don't, lol). Amazing players, HOFers..... but if you ask me "who was the best player on the Avalanche in 1996, or 2001" my answer - and no question - is "Patrick Roy". That is not a knock on anyone else.... that's just the truth.

I very much believe that if you have a talent like Roy, you need to do whatever it takes to keep him happy. Clearly there were problems with him & the organization before that game - the 9 goals against was just the final straw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12