Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Time Heals All Wounds... even between Patrick Roy and Mario Tremblay

Habs fans, if December 2, 1995 was as dark a day for you as it was for me, you're probably a Patrick Roy fan and you might be interested in hearing what he had to say about that fateful night in a french interview last night, here's what he said: https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Kari...nds/266/111742

Does this mean I should stop booing Tremblay whenever he appears on my TV?

Thoughts about this? Surprised?

Thanks for the comments, as always!
    Karine

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

We would also be remiss if we didn't share the links to the two Uber Eats commercials. You'll notice there's a slight difference between the English and French versions, the latter a bit more punchy about their history. LOL

English:

French

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Next step: Roy in the Habs' staff!
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

What exactly did Roy say anyway when he went to the bench?.. I know the "death stare", but there has never been a consensus on the exact words or even implications... I know Roy allegedly said "this is my last game" but it's never been confirmed.

Also, I always found it odd that Roy didn't pull himself from that game after the 4th goal or whatever - I mean he's Patrick Roy and at that point in time Roy could have easily gotten away with pulling himself from the game.. It was almost like both Roy and Tremblay were trying to make some sort of point.. Either way it's clear that there was some sort of beef going on there for quite a while and that game just brought it all to a boil..

I've heard fans say "if Tremblay only pulled Roy", yeah, no - that was a garbage fire just waiting to turn into a blaze and it was that game that set it ablaze..

I would love to know what the original beef was all about....

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What exactly did Roy say anyway when he went to the bench?.. I know the "death stare", but there has never been a consensus on the exact words or even implications... I know Roy allegedly said "this is my last game" but it's never been confirmed.

Also, I always found it odd that Roy didn't pull himself from that game after the 4th goal or whatever - I mean he's Patrick Roy and at that point in time Roy could have easily gotten away with pulling himself from the game.. It was almost like both Roy and Tremblay were trying to make some sort of point.. Either way it's clear that there was some sort of beef going on there for quite a while and that game just brought it all to a boil..

I've heard fans say "if Tremblay only pulled Roy", yeah, no - that was a garbage fire just waiting to turn into a blaze and it was that game that set it ablaze..

I would love to know what the original beef was all about....

I'll let a Habs fan chime in and correct me, but this is my understanding:

Patrick Roy loved playing for Jaques Demers. Demers was very public about the fact that the Montreal had only one superstar, and his name was Patrick Roy. Demers stroked the man's ego, and Roy liked it. He was a special player, and Demers treated him like he was special.

Tremblay had a very different approach. He treated everyone on the roster like they were the same. They're all equals. Roy lost his special treatment, and he didn't like it much.

I'm guessing there was an incident or two (or 8?) leading up to that game.... but Tremblay absolutely left Roy in to embarrass him. I'm assuming Roy had done something(s) recently to show up the coach, or remind people that unlike the other 22 players on the roster.... he was special.

I think it was team President Ronald Corey that was down on the bench when Roy was finally pulled (after 9). That's who Roy told that he was done in Montreal. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was Rejean Houle (the GM). Either way - pretty odd for an executive to come down to the bench during a game.... but when your star goalie (who doesn't like the coach) is being left in the game to embarrass him - I guess that's what you do.

You have to wonder: What happens if Corey comes down to the bench after the 7th goal, and fires Tremblay on the spot, gives Roy the hook, and coaches himself for the rest of the game.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I'll let a Habs fan chime in and correct me, but this is my understanding:

Patrick Roy loved playing for Jaques Demers. Demers was very public about the fact that the Montreal had only one superstar, and his name was Patrick Roy. Demers stroked the man's ego, and Roy liked it. He was a special player, and Demers treated him like he was special.

Tremblay had a very different approach. He treated everyone on the roster like they were the same. They're all equals. Roy lost his special treatment, and he didn't like it much.

I'm guessing there was an incident or two (or 8?) leading up to that game.... but Tremblay absolutely left Roy in to embarrass him. I'm assuming Roy had done something(s) recently to show up the coach, or remind people that unlike the other 22 players on the roster.... he was special.

I think it was team President Ronald Corey that was down on the bench when Roy was finally pulled (after 9). That's who Roy told that he was done in Montreal. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was Rejean Houle (the GM). Either way - pretty odd for an executive to come down to the bench during a game.... but when your star goalie (who doesn't like the coach) is being left in the game to embarrass him - I guess that's what you do.

You have to wonder: What happens if Corey comes down to the bench after the 7th goal, and fires Tremblay on the spot, gives Roy the hook, and coaches himself for the rest of the game.

Roy was on his way out of Montreal already. Serge Savard has since said he had been working out a deal to ship him out. Owen Nolan was one of the pieces coming back. Serge's firing may have delayed it, and that famous incident painted Montreal into a corner where they couldn't get anything even remotely close to market value in return. Rejean Houle was in over his head as well. A more seasoned GM could have gotten a better return, I'm sure

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Roy was on his way out of Montreal already. Serge Savard has since said he had been working out a deal to ship him out. Owen Nolan was one of the pieces coming back. Serge's firing may have delayed it, and that famous incident painted Montreal into a corner where they couldn't get anything even remotely close to market value in return. Rejean Houle was in over his head as well. A more seasoned GM could have gotten a better return, I'm sure

I had never heard that one, but it's interesting - because I know I remember reading a comment from Glen Sather (once upon a time) that he could have had Owen Nolan for Bill Ranford.

The Avalanche were clearly shopping Nolan (I guess was offered in a deal for two different goalies) and he was traded in October of 1995, for Sandis Ozlinch.... so Nolan was gone by the time Roy demanded a trade (in December) and Ranford to the Avalanche (clearly) never happened - When the Oilers finally dealt him, it was about a month after Roy was traded to COL, and Ranford wound up going back to Boston.

I don't think anyone would question that Patrick Roy was a better (and therefore should be worth more via trade) than Bill Ranford, but you did see two high end starting goalies change teams within a month of each other, during the 1995-96 season.

Ranford was traded for Mariusz Czerkawski, Sean Brown, and a 1st Round Pick. I remember at the time that Sather took a lot of criticizism for that deal. Not because he traded Ranford after getting Curtis Joseph to sign a deal, not because he traded him to Boston, not even because the idea of "young forward, young defense, 1st round pick" was bad - but because it seemed like he settled on all three assets. Boston had Jozef Stumpel, Kyle McLaren, and Hartford's 1st round pick - That they took Boston's "second best young roster forward", "second best young dman", and "likely the lower of their two 1st round picks". Now, it's quite likely that Sather simply couldn't get the "better" assets, and that Boston trade was the best one that was available to him.

If I compare that return, to what Montreal got (Kovalenko, Rucinsky, Thibault) - I'd say that Montreal did get a better package (they should have) though not THAT much better. Kovalenko & Czerkawski IMO were players that would have had a similar value at the time. Brown was a recent 1st round pick, vs Rucinsky who was an established player. You could argue that either way. Thibault, IMO, was worth more than a 1st round pick (a young, established, half-decent goalie).

If Montreal had gotten (for example) Nolan, Thibault, and a 1st.... doing the deal a few months earlier... that's probably a better trade for them, and who knows how that changes the next few years.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ahhhhhhh, did they Kiss & makeup? How lovely!!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Ahhhhhhh, did they Kiss & makeup? How lovely!!

You have too much free time on your hands.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes i do & i use it wisely.. There's nothing more fun than riling up some Habs Fans!! Up next: Vegas or Colorado!! This should be an easy Series for whoever wins. Time for some Habs Humble Pie!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast