Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    New York Giants
    Twitter: @@amazingrandy1 See erimengde0's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale My traders on Flickr

Card grading house options

Hey Everyone,

With things as congested and bloated as they have been, and some grading houses suspending submissions, where are people getting their cards graded? I have seen some new companies come up over the past year or so, but dont know anything about them, Are people holding off on grading until things settle down, so they can go to PSA, Beckett? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

I personally am waiting for PSA to open the doors again.

Under no circumstances would I personally think about submitting cards to anyone but PSA, Beckett or SGC. I’d rather have the card raw. I’m a fan of raw cards anyways.

PSA is my personal preference but will occasionally be ok with owning ANY other graded company’s card. Assuming the price is right. Most likely I am buying that card with the intention of either resubmitting it to PSA or just because I wanted the particular card inside the case.

Main reason for me to own graded cards in the first place (remember I actually like raw cards better) is I build some sets with in the PSA set registry, so it don’t do me much good to submit to any other company. I’m a collector first and foremost. But when I have upgraded a card to a higher grade I will sell those lower graded cards. I’m a firm believer PSA graded cards fetch the highest price. At least I sure pay more for PSA graded cards.

My thoughts on current climate.

PSA is going to open the submission acceptance gates in tiers. Currently they are only accepting the two highest tier submission levels which will most likely never include cards I’ll submit or be willing to pay. Starting in July (if they can stick to their plan) I assume they eventually will work their way down to all the levels but starting with the next highest level first.

I’m sure even once they open the lowest level the prices per card will still be significantly high. So I have to decide, do I want to wait and see if prices ever return to pre covid surge, or will I submit some and maybe be more selective about what I submit. Cards I am confident will grade high or ones I just really want graded sooner than later or probably ones that fall into both categories. Another option is wait for a quarterly special and includes my type of cards I collect.

One more thing to consider. Do you try to beat the sudden rush and get yours in quick as possible or sit back and wait for the reasons I mentioned in the paragraph above.

I do know I am about to spend some time to start sorting though the raw cards I have recently acquired to select the ones I want to submit and get them ready but when I send them, I don’t know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@amazingrandy1

Like @FireRob I am waiting for PSA to open their doors again. I have some other graded cards, but PSA consistently fetch higher prices at resale. I don't collect to sell, but as I upgrade I also put them back out in the market. Or like to have some I can trade.

I have been stock piling specific cards that I want to see if I can upgrade in my sets and also put in a few that should get me some extra money if they grade high enough. I have one more order still at PSA right now from the pre-shutdown. Mostly Dallas Cowboys Rookies, but I did submit some 1989 Score Rookies and Tom Brady cards for fun as well.

I have over 1000 graded cards, so my outlay is pretty expensive so far, but I'm not going to change now...LOL

Thanks Rich

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    New York Giants
    Twitter: @@amazingrandy1 See erimengde0's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale My traders on Flickr

I appreciate the insight guys, thank you. I usually liked dealing with PSA, just to keep all of my graded cards consistent through one grading house. Im not keen on trying these new grading houses, but was at leas considering going through SGC. I have a mix of vintage and modern that I am considering for grading. I may just sit on them and wait till PSA opens again.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See https://www.ebay.com/usr/gold_card_auctions's Items on eBay

Well PSA is the obvious choice as the ROI is best when it comes time to sell. I'm wondering are they the best because of the name or do they have better grades or am I missing something? What would really be nice is if we had an equal to PSA, that would give them compention and help the market backlog. SGC seems like an obvious choice as people seems to rave about how much they like SGC but the ROI is never close to PSA.

We are using SGC while wating to see what price point PSA opens up at.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@GoldCardAuctions

I think it is all in name at the moment and the name is just fetching higher prices. I have seen some grades that I considered way off on cards that look great and on cards that look bad though PSA, just like through other companies. I do feel PSA is pretty consistent though. There are examples in this forum of cards with stains that graded a 10 from an off-brand grader or graded a 9 when it obviously was a 6 at best.

The only way someone is going to top them right now is if they (PSA) price themselves out of the market. If I am paying $20 to grade a $1 card, and selling for $21 then..it's a wash. If I am paying $10 to grade a $1 card and sell it for $12, then I made a buck. Extrapolate that out and if the profit margin on a different brand is better than with PSA, people will move. By people, I mean the big boys who are selling 10,000+ PSA graded cards a month. If they jump ship, the market will reset. Of course by volume, they aren't paying $20 a card either.

I always loved Beckett's holders but the 9.5 thing over a 10 was always an issue with me. I also like SGC, and own a few but I buy them mainly for crossover to PSA because they are cheap(er). Whether it's PSA not being fair or otherwise, the crossovers always seem to grade a little lower. I haven't submitted very many for crossover so I don't have a big sample to pick from so it could have been legit.

Either way, I'd rather have a graded card than an ungraded card.

Rich

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees
    See mrrosado's Items on eBay

I tried the new ones

Hey Everyone,

With things as congested and bloated as they have been, and some grading houses suspending submissions, where are people getting their cards graded? I have seen some new companies come up over the past year or so, but dont know anything about them, Are people holding off on grading until things settle down, so they can go to PSA, Beckett? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

@amazinggrandy1 I'm not a fan of paying a lot of money to wait forver to get card back. I've been waiting months for a PSA submission. Currently I like cardscore.com, SGC is good too, I"m trying pure x grading and card-boss although its system is a bit laggy and needs a tech upgrade. The premise of unlimited graded cards albeit digitally only is pretty cool.
    my for trade website can be seen here: Hidden Content
    My for sale on eBay:Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

Interesting. Keep us updated!!!