Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Looking for advice

SCF Rewards
    Country

Looking for advice

Hello and thank you for reading my post. I hope to get some information from the pro's here. I just acquired a huge lot of cards. Football, Baseball, and Basketball cards, plus a few other memorabilia. I have about 6 Costco totes full. Everything is in great condition and mostly from the early 90's. I have some time on my hands and am going to go through everything to find the treasures, if there are any (there has to be something with this many cards...lol). A few questions:

1. What should I be looking for? I am already on the lookout for Derek Jeter cards and I found what looks like some valuable Michael Jordan cards.

2. I would like to make as much as possible on these. How do I get a PSA grading (is it worth the effort)?

3. Is eBay the best place to sell, or are there any other auctions I should look into?

4. There are a few cards with a slight bow or arch. How does this affect the value?

5. How should I sell non-valuable cards? Should I take the time to make team sets? Or just bulk sell everything that isn't valuable?

6. Should I open unopened sets and look for valuable cards?

Thank you again and I appreciate any input!

Josh

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

1. For early 1990s basketball, in addition to Jordan, look for Shaq rookies. His Topps in particular now commands around $100. Some insert sets, like Stadium Club Beam Team, are also desirable.

2. PSA is no longer grading for awhile due to extreme demand beyond what they were capable of responding to. You might look into BGS as an alternative.

3. eBay is definitely the best place to sell. I've made thousands over the last couple of years.

4. Not sure about arches -- those can be common among Chrome-type cards -- but any ding, crease, etc. will definitely affect value. Even one slight ding, with no other flaws, will take a card down to PSA 9.

5. Team sets can be an option, but so is bulk. You may also sell by set. Either way, you aren't going to make a lot, just keep that in mind. There's no easy way to make back much beyond the shipping costs.

6. Basketball tended not to have too many pre-collated sets; not sure if you meant boxes or packs instead. It would largely depend on the type of set either way.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

You got some good answers above to get started

I will say majority of even the junk era 90s stuff has come back now. It is crazy to see some of the base and base rookies that use to sell for quarters sell for a dollar or few bucks now. Easiest thing you can do is look at comp prices on eBay if you aren't sure. Get those cards out of totes and into boxes and the more desirable cards into sleeves and toploaders.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

@JoshB
    Khendra, gave you some good answers. If you can might want to take some photo's and if folks recognize certain sets they can tell you specifically what players to look in for such and such year etc.

Have more questions feel free to ask.

DON