Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

Thoughts on Ultra Pro Diamond Corner Boxes and other holders for multiple cards?

I have used cardboard storage boxes for ages before moving towards 9 pocket pages to preserve condition? I’ve had some of the old plastic holders for 25-100 cards, but always felt nervous using them for anything valuable at all. What are your thoughts on the diamond corner 100 counts? Is that a good way to go? I have not had them, but that look great. Any other thoughts on storage or 5-10 dollar cards in large quantities?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

No experience with those but anything I really want to protect goes into a penny sleeve then top loader then into a storage box at the minimum.

Even my bulk storage of junk common cards in cardboard storage boxes at the very least get penny sleeves. Well, most do, there are definitely some exceptions. I’m not going to sleeve every single 1992 pro set for example. Just bought 1k+ 1986 Topps football commons and I’m sitting at the kitchen table sleeving each card before I sort them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

@FireRob I have done it that way many times. I think it is a good way to go, but personally have a couple problems with it. The first and most major is that sometimes I nick corners when I put cards in sleeves. It’s not a huge deal but one slip is easily visible on the corners of MANY dark bordered sets. Second is availability and time for sleeving. Third is the cardboard bulk boxes themselves allowing movement. I have tried putting tissue paper in the gaps and other things to help.

I started using pages more after unwrapping a small collection my grandfather left me for when I turned 21. He had used pages and put them in a small printer paper box rather than an album. Works the same way as the bulk boxes and I have tons of empty pages around. In addition pages have a slit you can pry up when inserting the card that makes it easier to avoid corner nicks. My biggest concern is that the weight from the cards being stacked could cause a lamination effect, but I try to use the small boxes for like a single ream of paper to mitigate. I’ve seen the same thing happen with penny sleeves in storage boxes too though.

I like the idea of the diamond corner boxes because you can see what is inside easily, the corner are protected, and the outside is hard. As someone who moves frequently and has cards I don’t need to look out often it seems like a good way to go. I just wish they made bigger sizes than 100.
    Last edited by turnpipe; 07-05-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

$5-50 cards go into penny sleeve and top loader. Ones above $50 go into a penny sleeve and Card Saver II (aka semi-rigid) with the thought that I'd potentially grade it down the road - https://www.ultrapro.com/product_inf...piq6fic6vsg8f3.

Also I've been a big fan of this to help sort or at least turn the random piles and stacks into something somewhat organized - https://www.ultrapro.com/product_inf...piq6fic6vsg8f3

I'm a set collector, so most of my stuff goes into 9-page sheets in 3-ring binders. I use D-ring binders for the vast majority of everything, with 1/2" O-ring's as I never add that many pages to them. I use these in various thickness - https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...avy-Duty-View/

Best of luck OP with card organization!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

@jplcom I’m the same way with a lot of my PC Cards. Pretty much anything numbered under 100, gu, autos, RC of better players. Personally haven’t graded anything yet, but I often think about what I would send. Guess I’ll have to pony up and play with the big dogs one of these days. That tray looks like a dream come true for anyone with a lot of sorting to do. I’m bad about leaving stacks sitting out and I would imagine that would clean up in a breeze. I still have the first set I ever built, 2007 DPP, in a 3 ring along with my traders and lower end PC. My problem with binders is when you get too many pages and the weight makes them sag out the bottom of the cover. At any rate I appreciate the input. I think I’m gonna cancel my order for the diamond corners arriving in approximately 1.5 months. The more I think about the less point I see.

Does anyone have a line on the bulk storage boxes that fit top loader size? I have stacks of top loaders and noticed that the weight is again creating a lamination effect on some of the extra glossy cards. Not sure if it could be due to humidity and remedied with silica.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

An update: it appears the drought is over. Just placed an order for 3 of these from Amazon with delivery date 8/10. Looks like COMC has activated option to add top loader as well. Cheers to good health and go get vaccinated so this doesn’t happen again please!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

I ended up picking up 3 of these. Overall I like them a lot. Interesting system, but it seem much safer than the old snap style holders. I probably could have made this a video but this will do I think.

Just like the label says they have slightly recessed edges on the top and bottom to make them easy to stack.

Corners just like a one touch holder.

Just enough space to make it easy to add cards.

Next the snap mechanism:

Very similar to older style plastic holder with the addition of a bead. When pressure is applied to bottom shell at finger hold the bead disengages. I dropped an empty one and it did not come apart.

Gap makes it easy to add and remove cards.

Absolutely zero pinching.

I would recommend if you are looking for a clear plastic holder. I haven’t seen anything better.