Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I finally met him, and he was a SAINT!

So I’ve been collecting Marty St. Louis for about 13 years now, what drew me to collecting him being in Buffalo was a few things. When I was playing hockey, I was extremely small… I was actually 5’4 when I graduated high school. It sucked getting destroyed every game by the bigger Players.I started pulling Marty cards early on, and he just started following me to the point where I started watching highlights of him, videos, and then games. I saw that he wasn’t very big, only 5’8 ON skates. He played like he was 6’5, 250! He was so fast and never gave up! I was immediately hooked and started a PC of him.

I never really had the chance to meet him, since he was playing for Tampa and I’m here in Buffalo. All of a sudden I saw his tweet last week that he will be watching the Tampa game at a bar in Buffalo! I was like WHAT!?!?!… this was it, it was now or never.So Marty’s middle son of 3 was here for the Team USA Developmental Camp, and Marty was with him. Where it was held, they released the players and the schedule. It lasts about a week, and goes up until this Tuesday. I saw Lucas was playing on Saturday so it was too perfect not to go. Probably with 5 minutes left in the game, I turn around to see Marty standing 10 feet away from me… my heart started racing! He left shortly after, and as the first period ended, I went out to where the confessions were…he’s right there, 10 feet away talking to someone. I stood by the door across from him with my bubble mailer in my hand. I saw him look at it while he was talking, and then turn his head. All of a sudden, he starts walking towards the doors to see how much time until the second period started.. this is ridiculous, because he is 3 feet from me! He turns to me, I look and said “Hi Martin, is there anyway you could please sign something for me ?” He said absolutely, shook my hand and asked my name. I pulled out the 2014 Stanley Cup Finals Program from the Rangers/ Kings series, and he said “NICE!, this is a great piece!” I told him about my 950 + card collection of him, and he smiled and said holy cow!…what do you do with them? I told him I collect and enjoy them. He asked me if I had any Flames cards, I said I did, and a bunch of his rookies. It was cool, because I said, do you remember the letters you just signed for Upper Deck with you in your Flames jersey, he said of course, I said I finally just got one. He was so down to earth talking about his game used equipment, he said it’s impossible to find, and he couldn’t believe how much it went for….I also told him that I will be collecting his sons cards, and he smiled like a proud Dad. As I didn’t want to talk his ear off, I asked if I could get a photo with him, as I have been waiting many years to meet him. He said absolutely, we took 2 quick pics, I said Marty I can’t thank you enough, he said it was his pleasure and said it was really nice to meet you Brian!

It was so crazy how things work out in life, that’s why I love this hobby, these players love their fans and him even talking to me for as long as he did had proven that! Here is a pic of Marty and I, and the program he signed!Sorry for the long read, but I really hope each and every one of you has the chance of meeting your favorite player sometime, it’ll change your life!

Brian

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (162)
    Country
    Navy
    Minnesota Wild Minnesota Vikings Minnesota Twins
    See ceej830's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

That is so cool, Brian! Glad you got to meet and talk to him!

--Curt
    GO WILD!!!

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks Curt, I’m still smiling!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That's amazing! It's always great when we get to meet the guys we collect. Enjoy those memories!
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Always love hearing stories about why people collect certain players etc. Thanks for sharing this story and glad you finally got to meet Marty and he turned out to be a class act.

Don

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Such a class act. Thank you for sharing your story with Marty.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Notre Dame Fighting Irish San Francisco Giants
    COMC Cards For Sale

Awesome to meet your heros.
    always looking for
    John Gibson
    jamie drysdale
    Devon levi
    Yarasov askarov

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Congrats on meeting St. Louis!

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

and you didn't call me... pfft!

j/k Brian - that is really awesome!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Awesome read, thanks for sharing.

Congrats on getting to meet him. It's a thrill meeting our idols like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast