Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ovie signed

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Ovie signed

with Caps, no big surprise there.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yup. I think everyone expected this. 5 years, 47.5 million. Will take him to age 40.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Probably break Waynes goals record. Not rooting for that, but barring injury, etc, see it happening.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Probably break Waynes goals record. Not rooting for that, but barring injury, etc, see it happening.

I wouldn't say it's a guarentee. Even if he plays until 40, it'll still be a tough challenge to beat Wayne. Surpassing Howe is likely I think.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yea, the price tag is ridiculous tho... Ovechkin has made his $$$$, and you would think he would have signed a team-friendly deal er "hometown discount". I think 6 per would have been more appropriate.. Ovechkin is just not worth 9.5 million - especially in a "flat cap world", and look you can bet that extension will be regretted when it comes time to lockup some of the younger talent.. And I hope when that happens Caps fans point fingers at Ovechkin's obvious greed - because 9.5 until Ovechkin is 40 just cant be justified - I mean just how much more can Ovechkin do for the franchise? his days as the face of the franchise are almost up.. Obviously Ovechkin can still play, however he's not going to be playing in 6-7 years.... So yeah, not a fan of the extension as purely a hockey fan...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Disagree. While the numbers he'll put up may not justify it, he's a brand. He has brand power, and that's worth something. And to have him on board while he chases Gretzky's goal record? That kind of publicity is priceless. The Caps would have been fools to let him walk.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Disagree. While the numbers he'll put up may not justify it, he's a brand. He has brand power, and that's worth something. And to have him on board while he chases Gretzky's goal record? That kind of publicity is priceless. The Caps would have been fools to let him walk.

I think you're missing the point... Ovechkin has already made his money, he's already had his "career deal", and he's hurting the Caps with this contract.. Maybe I'm just too nice of a guy, however if I was in Ovechkin's position after making 100M+ over my career, I would say: Look, give me 5 million per until I'm 40, but use the money I left on the table to get the kids signed.

Sorry, but from my subjective perspective what Ovechkin did was greedy.

I mean you would think after spending 18 years with an organization he would at least care about it.. And you know it's not uncommon for players after they've made their money to take "cap-friendly hometown discounts" for the sake of the team and the younger players he's supposed to mentor.

I've never really liked Ovechken from a personal perspective anyway, lol... Oh, and he's evidence to me that astrology is a bunch of BS too considering we share the same birthday, I'm just 5 years older and he's nothing like me, lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I think you're missing the point... Ovechkin has already made his money, he's already had his "career deal", and he's hurting the Caps with this contract.. Maybe I'm just too nice of a guy, however if I was in Ovechkin's position after making 100M+ over my career, I would say: Look, give me 5 million per until I'm 40, but use the money I left on the table to get the kids signed.

Sorry, but from my subjective perspective what Ovechkin did was greedy.

I mean you would think after spending 18 years with an organization he would at least care about it.. And you know it's not uncommon for players after they've made their money to take "cap-friendly hometown discounts" for the sake of the team and the younger players he's supposed to mentor.

I've never really liked Ovechken from a personal perspective anyway, lol... Oh, and he's evidence to me that astrology is a bunch of BS too considering we share the same birthday, I'm just 5 years older and he's nothing like me, lol.

I completely get your point. It's tricky though. If Ovie were to sign for $5 million, the PA would be all over him. Small hometown discounts are accepted, but half of what he could get? If players kept doing that it would destroy contract comparables and may end up costing other players money. There are so many layers to these things.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

He took a discount to stay with the Caps, relative to what he'd been making before.

His annual salary dipped a tad ($38k per year). He signed his last deal was a 13 year, $124m contract. He was being pad $9.538m when the salary cap was only $56.7 million. He signed to take up 16.8% of the cap back in 2008..... he just signed to take 11.7% of the cap.

Owners make millions off players. Players should get their fair share of that money. Ovechkin sells tickets. I'm not sure there was ever another player in the history of the Washington Capitals that people said "let's go watch <<player's name>> tonight" and bought a ticket just because that guy is playing.

He played at a 44 goal pace last year. If the Caps have no reason to believe he'll decline anytime soon, he's well worth the money he's making.

Gretzky hat 894.... Ovechkin is up to 730. He'll likely be in 3rd place after this next season (passing Jagr, Hull, Dionne) and will be in 2nd place (passing Howe) after the 2022-23 season. Just a question of how high he can get after that... 801 to 894 is big gap.

He needs to average 33 goals a year for the next five years to do it. This is clearly a legacy building contract. The Caps want him to do it, and they want him to score every single goal of his with the Capitals. It's a good deal him, and a good deal for the club. If they can't build a winner with a man who projects as (arguably) the greatest goal scorer of all time, that's on the GM - not on OV's contract.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

Yea, the price tag is ridiculous tho... Ovechkin has made his $$$$, and you would think he would have signed a team-friendly deal er "hometown discount". I think 6 per would have been more appropriate.. Ovechkin is just not worth 9.5 million - especially in a "flat cap world", and look you can bet that extension will be regretted when it comes time to lockup some of the younger talent.. And I hope when that happens Caps fans point fingers at Ovechkin's obvious greed - because 9.5 until Ovechkin is 40 just cant be justified - I mean just how much more can Ovechkin do for the franchise? his days as the face of the franchise are almost up.. Obviously Ovechkin can still play, however he's not going to be playing in 6-7 years.... So yeah, not a fan of the extension as purely a hockey fan...

That is an awful take. You have a player who is, arguably, the greatest goal scorer of all time, the face of the franchise, and has a competitive hunger to keep winning. You give him what he's worth. Literally everyone except you think he's worth the deal he got. Perhaps maybe it's not him, but you...

Oh, and he's evidence to me that astrology is a bunch of BS too considering we share the same birthday, I'm just 5 years older and he's nothing like me, lol.

Yeah, Ovechkin is actually a pretty nice guy, not to mention one of the best ever to play the game...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast