Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Eichel

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Jack Eichel

Sounds as though he and sabres will be parting ways.

Opinions, of where he might end up and what it will take to obtain him.

I myself am a little conffused about his health status, Don't know > His agents say one thing
    team seems to disagree, but agents have stated that some of Sabres med staff agree w/player

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Vancouver Canucks Toronto Blue Jays
    Instagram:

I read today that his agent is pushing hard fo Buffalo to move him. They've been dragging this out for awhile. I wonder if Anaheim or Chicago would be a fit.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's been a messy situation for a while now. I'm sure @scottkoz20 and some of the other Sabres Mafia guys can chime in with more informed opinions on the why's and how's of where it all went wrong.

As for the trade market, it's tough right now. It's a flat salary cap world and after the ridiculousness we saw earlier this week, not many teams have the ability to take on a guy with a $10M cap hit for the next five years. Factor in also the uncertainty surrounding his health status, and that might reduce the market even further. Then you look at what the Sabres are asking--from the rumour mill it looks like it's four assets in return: two roster players that can help them now, plus at least a 1st round pick and a top-notch prospect. No matter what, the Sabres will not be getting back a player equal to Eichel. That's why it's a package deal. The hope is the mix of players & prospects will ultimately make them a better team.

Montreal has been linked to Eichel. The package would likely be KK, Romanov, a 1st and more. Pretty much the only untouchables for the Habs are Caufield and Suzuki. Likely those are the players that Buffalo would most like to land...and thus why I think a deal between the two teams is very unlikely to go down. To get a great player you have to give up some very good players, and the cost may just be too high.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Boston Celtics Boston Celtics New England Patriots

He's gonna pull a Taylor Hall and force his way home to Boston

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army

I don't think the B's would give up Pasternak or Mac. I think thats what it would take.
    I'm also wary of the injury situation. Hopefully some of these Sabre fans can chime in, as suggested by RG

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Boston Celtics Boston Celtics New England Patriots

I don't think the B's would give up Pasternak or Mac. I think thats what it would take.
    I'm also wary of the injury situation. Hopefully some of these Sabre fans can chime in, as suggested by RG

Yeah i know Sweeny isn't dumb enough to trade Pasta or McCavoy but if Eichel wants out and says ill only play in Boston a la Hall, they almost have to take what they can get. And thus whole neck fusion thing has me wary as well but now with Kreji out? I think he's our best bet

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    My traders on Flickr

Everyone involved is doing a great job at tanking the trade value Eichel holds currently.
    I do not see how any other team would pay any significant asking price prior to seeing what the recovery is for the neck surgery he intends to undergo.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army

I haven't heard that he prefers the B's. It might be so. don't think the B's have the assets to bring him to the Hub.

Injury concerns me.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's been a messy situation for a while now. I'm sure @scottkoz20 and some of the other Sabres Mafia guys can chime in with more informed opinions on the why's and how's of where it all went wrong.

As for the trade market, it's tough right now. It's a flat salary cap world and after the ridiculousness we saw earlier this week, not many teams have the ability to take on a guy with a $10M cap hit for the next five years. Factor in also the uncertainty surrounding his health status, and that might reduce the market even further. Then you look at what the Sabres are asking--from the rumour mill it looks like it's four assets in return: two roster players that can help them now, plus at least a 1st round pick and a top-notch prospect. No matter what, the Sabres will not be getting back a player equal to Eichel. That's why it's a package deal. The hope is the mix of players & prospects will ultimately make them a better team.

Montreal has been linked to Eichel. The package would likely be KK, Romanov, a 1st and more. Pretty much the only untouchables for the Habs are Caufield and Suzuki. Likely those are the players that Buffalo would most like to land...and thus why I think a deal between the two teams is very unlikely to go down. To get a great player you have to give up some very good players, and the cost may just be too high.

With Weber on the shelf for at least a year there is no way Montreal will include a roster D-man. Eichel won't be a Hab and given the asking price I doubt he is going anywhere any time soon.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Well - get some

Let me get the personal side out I have had 1st hand with Jack. He's a good kid (i'm 45, i can call him a kid) - he has done quite a bit for Oishei Children's and Roswell Park in Buffalo. Olivia has had multiple interactions with him and they have always been positive. Before last season, her and I were on a private zoom session (pandemic) with him and Jake McCabe and what was suppose to be a 30 minute call turned into a 75 minute interaction. One of the kids asked about if he had pets and he went and got his puppy to show the kids on the call. Not all players are generous with their time like this. Some could careless about the community they play in. I only bring this up because like when O'Reilly went to St. Louis - I'm going to have an upset daughter (her 2 favorite players) -- mostly because of the interactions they had in the Buffalo area - this matters.

Now, on with my take in point format

• Eichel is going to be the best player in the deal when it happens - if you disagree, you are WRONG - full stop.
    • He's been skating and playing in practice pickup games in his native Boston. So, this tells me, while he might not be 100%, maybe the conservative approach might actually working in this case. It's not to say there will not be issues in the future.
    • Any GM with a player that arguably is a Top-5 Center in the league is going to warrant a high-price tag. Outside of Real Estate, you set your price and you work down from there (the price typically doesn't rise - unless it's Real Estate). So for Adams to be asking for what he is should not be a shock to ANYONE - it's up to the other teams to decide if they are willing to pay that price.
    • Its been reported that teams are offering up like this is Eichel has 1 year left on the contract. He has 5 MORE YEARS. It's the NMC that kicks in after this coming season.
    • Players with Eichel's skill do not come along everyday. So working the cap and/or making moves for the a player of his caliber - teams will do it. Lets not pretend that a team is not going to make moves because "we don't have cap space". If McDavid was injured and wanted to be traded - 31 teams would do WHATEVER it took to clear the space needed to acquire him and do whatever was needed to resolve the issue.

It's clear to me that Eichel has probably played his last game as a Sabre. I do believe that there is a scenario where he does play for the Sabres to merely show that he's good to go.

At this point, most people believe that the 9:45pm Friday night state was his way of asking for a trade, without asking for a trade.

Lets address the procedure he wants to have. Artificial disc replacement. This is something that has NOT been done on an active NHL player - so when you hear arguments that it's not experimental that others have had it with quick recovery time and no future issues - outside of the MMA fighter (Wideman) that had it - how many are playing a sport at an elite level? As for the MMA fighter - i know he just had a severe leg injury, but has he had further neck issues? I know the Sabres get hammered for decisions they make (and most of them are justified) but I believe they are right to proceed with caution on this.

As for the "his body, his choice crowd" - that was signed away when he signed his contract. If he wanted to place a grievance with the NHLPA, he'd probably lose (which is why it has not be done). Thus, another reason for the 9:45pm statement from his agents - it's the only recourse they probably have, the court of public opinion.

So where does he land?

@RGM81 is right that the market has changed in the last week. I believe Los Angeles is out after Danault signed. However, when one door closes, another opens and that door is Boston, especially after the Krejci move back to Europe (and it would not be forcing his way home - at least not until July 1, 2022).

What would it take from Boston? Well, I don't think the Sabres would want to take on a Pastrnak contract - plus Boston would be adding Eichel for another run at a Cup - so I don't believe Pasta would be in the cards. Someone else mentioned McAvoy - good defenseman - but if there is one area of strength the Sabres have, it's defense. Dahlin, Jokiharju, Power, Bryson, Matti Samuelsson are going to be a solid top 5 at latest the end of this season (after Michigan finishes - I think Power goes back for 1 more college season) - with Colin Miller, Pysyk, Hagg and a couple other AHL call-ups for this season to play that 6/7 role - McAvoy IMO doesn't give them something that they don't have already or coming in the pipeline.

So - what do I think a deal with Boston looks like? DeBrusk (highest cap hit Boston probably would be willing to surrender - keep in mind, Buffalo has about 10-12 million in cap space to weaponize to get to the floor - after Eichel is traded), Studnicka, 2-1sts (2022 and 2024) - based on what's been reported on the asking price. I think it would be DeBrusk, Stud and a conditional 2022 1st and maybe a conditional 2023/2024 1st if Eichel is able to play X number of games over the next 2 seasons. I don't believe they'll get the 4 -1st round assets without conditions - but I think they can get it with conditions - and I think having conditions on the deal is fair for both sides.

However - I think there are better options for Buffalo to deal with- including Montreal if they decide to send a real offer. What Richard mentioned would be good basis for discussion, but reportedly that was not the starting point for Montreal. Most Sabre fans would want Suzuki and/or Caufield. I'd love Suzuki - but replacing KK for Suzuki and parting with Romanov (which I don't think Buffalo absolutely needs nor I don't think MTL could afford to part with) and a 1st PLUS is something that would drive Hab fans to lynch Bergevin.

Let me end with this point. Since 2013 when then GM Darcy Regier said there would be some pain to endure - no Sabre fan would have though this would have been 10 years and no end in sight. There has been a dark cloud over the franchise since tanking for Jack and Sam. Sam is gone and I do wonder when Jack is traded, if that is going to start to clear that dark cloud over the franchise and they can get better.
    Last edited by scottkoz20; 08-01-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast