Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question Beckett Football - Question about Print Edition multiplier notes

They obviously don't list every card for sets, but how do the multiplier ranges apply?

For example:

2021 Panini Prizm Draft Picks
    121 Justin Fields RC base is 4.00 10.00

For Silver Prizm, the guide only has values for 106 Trevor Lawrence RC, but it does say "*ROOKIES: 1X TO 2.5X BASIC CARDS".

Does that mean Silver Prizm for Justin Fields is 4.00 25.00?

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

I've always understood it as using the multipliers on the hi book value.

So if a card books for 4 - 10, then the multiplier would take the 10 and then you'd get a new range of 10 - 25.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Sacramento Kings Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners
    See deseanjackson53's Items on eBay

this

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great. Thanks guys!

SCF Rewards
    Country

@jplcom what do these mean and where do they list the players for each?

COMMON CARD
    SEMISTARS
    UNLISTED STARS
    COMMON ROOKIE
    ROOKIE SEMISTARS
    ROOKIE UNL.STARS

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Beckett used to list a collection of guys at the start of a price guide of who fall into each category. Beckett wouldn't list 400 guys for Score, they would breakout the most popular guys for individual pricing (Mahomes, Brady, etc) then lump the rest of the checklist into commons, semistars, and unlisted stars. I'm so old I even remember a category between commons and semistars named "minor stars". Haven't see that in a long time. Anyways, that was back in the 90s/early 00s. Way too many players have come and gone since then to maintain a list like that. If you don't have an OPG, you can generally use this as a guideline:

Unlisted Stars
    retired offensive skill position HoFers (think Michael Irvin, Terrell Owens, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, etc)
    retired popular defensive HoFers like Brian Urlacher, Ronnie Lott, Warren Sapp, etc
    popular current skill positions who don't get individually listed. WRs like DeAndre Hopkins, OBJ. RBs like Nick Chubb. QBs like say Phillip Rivers (recently retired), Matt Stafford. Ben Roethlisberger
    popular elite/popular defenders like Aaron Donald, JJ Watt

Semi-Stars
    All other retired HoFers
    Guys who were popular for their time but have been lost in the shuffle. QBs like Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Andrew Luck, RBs like Priest Holmes, Eddie George, Corey Dillon, Reggie Bush, WRs Andre Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson
    Current guys like Allan Robinson, Ryan Tannehill, Kareem Hunt, guys like that.

Commons are everyone else. Arguments can be made shifting guys up or down one tier on the common/semi/unlisted star ranking. I wouldn't get hung up on it too much.

For rookies I view it as this.

Unlisted Stars
    2-3rd round QBs
    1-2nd round RBs, WRs
    1st round TEs
    Top 15 all other positions

Semi-Stars
    4-7th round QBs
    3-4th round RBs, WRs
    All other 1st or 2nd round picks

Commons
    Everything else

I didn't mention 1st round QBs because they will always be listed until they wind up busting. Jay Cutler is a listed RC in 2006 but is a common from 2007 on. Tim Couch was a listed RC in 1999 but by 2005 he'd be considered a common. Some guys will retain some residual value if they were notable in college (big Bowl wins, Heisman, 1st overall pick, etc). You'll also have regional variances. So in Wisconsin Green Bay guys would be viewed as Semi-Stars instead of Commons. Conversely an Unlisted Star for the Vikings or Bears might be considered a Semi-Star in WI.

Again if you have an OPG you'll be able to figure out who falls into each category as their listed price will match with Common/Semi/Unlisted star price. Otherwise think of it as a popularity contest. Guys who make Pro Bowls will likely be Unlisted Stars and guys who keep on the roster but don't do much on the field will be more Common. Guys can shifted between the categories over the course of a career and retirement.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Amazing @jplcom. Appreciate your thorough answer once again!

What happened here? In the Sept issue, Tom Brady's low is higher than the hi.

6 Tom Brady 25.00 6.00

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Boston Celtics Boston Celtics New England Patriots

No one else thinks Becket is trash? They list stuff as $400 that will sell for 100 and 20-30 stuff that sells for 3. Your best bet fir actual value is 130 point and see what they have been going for. After all something is only worth what someone will pay, not what some random price guide written buy a company that owns a grading service with vested interest in jacking prices up
    Anyway my 2 cents on the matter.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Amazing @jplcom. Appreciate your thorough answer once again!

What happened here? In the Sept issue, Tom Brady's low is higher than the hi.

6 Tom Brady 25.00 6.00

That's a typo. Look through the magazine for other cards that list a high of $6 and you'll see the low is $2.50. Maybe it was supposed to be $25 - $60 (I doubt it on a base card). Either way, Beckett is formulaic with their pricing and their low/high.

No one else thinks Becket is trash? They list stuff as $400 that will sell for 100 and 20-30 stuff that sells for 3. Your best bet fir actual value is 130 point and see what they have been going for. After all something is only worth what someone will pay, not what some random price guide written buy a company that owns a grading service with vested interest in jacking prices up
    Anyway my 2 cents on the matter.

I've been answering based on the questions asked, not whether the info itself has or doesn't have value. I view Beckett pricing as "retail" pricing, or what you can expect to see in a glass display case at a hobby shop or at a dealer booth. Yes, using Worthpoint or 130point or eBay Sold Items (which the previous two pull from) does provide the most realistic and up to date pricing. In theory if say a 2021 Panini Prizm Draft Picks Tom Brady sells on eBay for $5, one could assume their Brady is worth $5. But perhaps it was only worth $5 to that specific buyer, and no one else wants to spend more the $4 on the next one. Or maybe they are super rare and supply is shrinking. Then that $5 was a deal and the remaining buyers regret passing on it and would spend $6 on the next one. I wouldn't worship at the alter of previously sold any more than I would with Beckett. Using multiple data points provides a more informed decision on worth or value.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great stuff once again @jplcom. Thank you!
    @Mcsizzle81, I'm just getting back into collecting. Just looking to get an idea of what some of the newest stuff goes for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast