Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox

Print Lines on Bottom Edge of 1985 Fleer

Hi all - I just opened a sealed wax box of 1985 Fleer and pulled some nice cards, including a Clemens and a Puckett RC. Looking for advice from anyone familiar with this set or who has had cards graded from it on what kind of "penalty" cards might get that have a dark grey print line running along the bottom or top edge of the card? Seems like about 10% of the cards in this box had one of those lines, and I've provided a few pics below as examples. The Clemens one is right at the very bottom edge, and I'm also including an Eddie Murray that had a similar one as an example. Would this type of line get a PSA qualifier? And if so, would it be MC or PD?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

@mattyb5000

Nice cards, so please don't take offense. The Clemens would be an issue its off-centered and has a print defect on his check. If they didn't PD it, it would definitely affect the grade somehow. As for the black line. I really don't know, as I don't have any and haven't talked to anyone who has graded them. You might want to go to PSAcard.com and look through the set registry and see if any of the cards in the registry sets have the line and if the grades appear lower. I would assume, you know what that means, they would lower the grade because the line is basically telling you it is off centered.

Hope that helps. Rich

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox

You might want to go to PSAcard.com and look through the set registry and see if any of the cards in the registry sets have the line and if the grades appear lower. I would assume, you know what that means, they would lower the grade because the line is basically telling you it is off centered.

That's a great suggestion Rich! I hadn't thought of checking the PSA set registry. I'll take a look there and see what I can find.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@mattyb5000

Any luck?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox

A little - I also did some more web sleuthing and found that these types of print lines shouldn't affect the grade of the card. Appreciate the guidance!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

I'd like to see the grades....overall eye appeal is an aspect of grading (as discussed on PSA's website) and a black line, where the card should have been cut gives the impression of not being "perfect"... I'd be interested to see if any got a 10.