Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poll: Most prized card?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aweeks711's Items on eBay

Voting: Show & Tell Contest 13.0 - Week 19!

30ranfordfan:

My most prized card. As soon as the question comes up, there's one obvious answer for me:

A 2010-11 In The Game Between The Pipes Made-To-Order Dual GU card of Bill Ranford & Georges Vezina.

Why? Well, it's a dual memorabilia card that combines my favorite player (Ranford) with arguably the biggest name in the history of goaltending (the best goalie of the year wins a trophy named after Mr. Vezina).

When ITG bought the Vezina goalie pads, to chop up for hockey cards, it created a massive buzz.... and not all of it was positive. I always wanted to own a little piece of those pads, and this card gave me that opportunity.

What makes this one even more special to me, is that I pulled the redemption card myself. Back at the (Spring 2011?) Expo, a former staff member here was running group breaks of 2010-11 Between The Pipes. I don't think @reoddai is around the forum much anymore though.

I dug up the old thread from the case break:

https://www.sportscardforum.com/thre...66#post9712866

If you watch the old videos of the break, I was there helping pull everything. I'm the one who actually pulled the MTO dual, already knowing that I had the first pick in the draft.

It was a really cool experience. Breaking the case @ the Expo meant we got an extra 10 hits (expos redemption cards) to add value to the break for everyone. reoddai had bought another case that I believe he cracked for himself. Someone backed out of the break at the last minute - so spur of the moment (at the expo) I agreed to buy a second slot.

We had @bprice draw usernames out of a hat for the draft order, and my two slots ended up being picks #1 and #4. When I pulled that MTO card - I couldn't believe my luck.

scarrman:

This is one of my favorite and most prized cards. I really liked the 2011 Parkhurst Champions, the card set, the artistry, some cool inserts/parallels. The Masterpieces set was something else, individually painted cards by various artists - basically all were one of one's despite being a 10 card run of each. The odds of pulling one were long, something like 1:4,000 packs, much rarer than a case pull. Well I pulled this beauty - Bobby Orr - rookie pic, brush cut hair, Bruins uniform.
    Not knowing much about them except they were tough pulls, I did some investigating, UD has some set info on their site years ago. Talked about the set, the artist's that painted the cards, some previews of the various players. But then it mentioned that each artist would pick their favorite from the 10 they painted. That card would be designated card # 1 of 10, and the artist would then paint the edge border gold. The rest are white/black I believe. So this just added some mystique to this awesome card.
    Anyway, this is a treasured and prized card. I pulled it, it is virtually a 1 of 1 and one that stays in my collection. Thanks.

bobby orr 1.jpg
    bobby orr 2.jpg
    bobby orr 3.jpg

10-4 collector:

I purchased this card in raw condition back in 2006 or 2007. Paid 70$ for it. It had been sitting in a binder for 13-14 years before I decided to send to PSA last year. It is now worth 70 times what I paid for it! Great investment!

johnse27:

Being a set collector it can be hard to find the right card that means the most. Sometimes it is that card that ends a set! One of my prized cards is this Howe rookie card from the 51-52 Parkhurst set. The card is now almost 70 years old and one of the cornerstones of my collection.

GabbyGuy:

Since the rules state I cannot use last year's card I won with, I'll opt for this card that I got this year.

Many of you know that Dr. Brian Price (President's Choice) came out at the beginning of this year with an all Vezina Pad product called The Vezina Collection. Every card had some sort of Vezina pad piece in the card. A pretty awesome product for us vintage game-used collectors is putting it lightly. It was a freaking AWESOME product!

Anyway, there were supposed to be 4 Artist Painted cards inserted in the product, but the artist was late getting the cards in. Then there was an issue with the FedEx shipment, so Dr. Price said those cards would be replaced by a 6-piece Vezina Pad card. Then the Artist cards came in so he did a random drawing for the 4 Artist cards. But he already had the four 6-piece cards and decided to sell them to people who had asked about getting one. Then he made 3 more and offered them for sale to the 7 people who had asked about them. I was one of the 7 and was pumped. Each one was a 1/1 card with a different photo of Vezina on it. Dr. Price held another random drawing to see what order you would select and you would pick from the cards that were left when your draft position came up. This was the card I got. It contains these 6 different pieces contained in a Vezina Pad: The leather front of the pad...the cloth back of the pad that was against Georges' legs...the pulp board that was inserted in the pad to provide rigid protection...horsehair that was used for stuffing/padding back in those early days....a piece of the strap that wrapped around his legs and held the pad on...and a bamboo cane piece that was used for support inside of the pad.

First a good scan of the card for better viewing purposes.

Then the scan of it with my written ID name as per contest rules:

Vezina-Collection-SCF

A great card for us old timer collectors.

--Curt
    Last edited by aweeks; 08-31-2021 at 01:46 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Voted!
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/