Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Tampa Bay Lightning Buffalo Bills
    Twitter: @https://twitter.com/BFLO_Shmuffalo See ebay.com/u/letgobuffalo29's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Question on 2016-17 O-Pee-Chee-Platinum Auston Matthews Retro Rainbow Black Auto R-66

I have not seen this card often... Even checking the Pop report is difficult, since it seems Beckett has cross-referenced this with VIP cards, R-AMs, Platinum Autos, Platinum non-autos - so I have no idea the BGS Pop. PSA, I believe, only shows a Pop 1; which seems low. I know it's a short print at 1:44,895, per Cardboard Connection (I have no idea the full print run... The odds of pulling an R-AM Auto Rookie are 1:501, then there are 101 #'d parallels), again it's just oddly difficult to find - at least recently.

In 2018 an R-66 Retro Black Rainbow Auto sold just above 2k; apparently raw. COMC shows 3 sales up to $500 - but this was more than 4 years ago. I'm just curious how this compares to his other OPC Platinum Rookie Autos and Parallels. I've searched far too long, and I'm having a hell of a time just finding a comparable.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I appreciate any help - plan on sending to BGS, and also want to label it correctly lol.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I moved it over to the more general hockey card forum.... you'll probably get more eyeballs on it there, and hopefully someone can help you out.

Myself, I don't know squat about the card.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @https://twitter.com/BFLO_Shmuffalo See ebay.com/u/letgobuffalo29's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I moved it over to the more general hockey card forum.... you'll probably get more eyeballs on it there, and hopefully someone can help you out.

Myself, I don't know squat about the card.

Thanks!I wasn't sure the best sub-forum.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Surprised he's not a Group A. Anyways, at 1:44,895 packs, there's probably not too many of them out there. Of all the rookie year Matthews cards, it's not likely going to be one that's going to be submitted for grading too often. Platinum can be tough to get high grades. It's also not always the most heavily broken product. Very popular, sure. But if you look at the whole of eBay for "OPC Platinum Black Rainbow Autograph" there's only 86 active listings and another 30 sold. That's not a lot. Factor in that the Matthews is probably the biggest value card in the set, and you've got a recipe for a white (black) whale.

**EDIT** Even if you head over to Upper Deck E-Pack, where there's a substantial portion of the product to be found, there is one (1!) copy of the Matthews available. Some other guys have as many as ~20.
    Last edited by RGM81; 09-23-2021 at 04:44 PM.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Anyways, at 1:44,895 packs

Daaaaaaang. That's a rare card!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

I have not seen this card often... Even checking the Pop report is difficult, since it seems Beckett has cross-referenced this with VIP cards, R-AMs, Platinum Autos, Platinum non-autos - so I have no idea the BGS Pop. PSA, I believe, only shows a Pop 1; which seems low. I know it's a short print at 1:44,895, per Cardboard Connection (I have no idea the full print run... The odds of pulling an R-AM Auto Rookie are 1:501, then there are 101 #'d parallels), again it's just oddly difficult to find - at least recently.

In 2018 an R-66 Retro Black Rainbow Auto sold just above 2k; apparently raw. COMC shows 3 sales up to $500 - but this was more than 4 years ago. I'm just curious how this compares to his other OPC Platinum Rookie Autos and Parallels. I've searched far too long, and I'm having a hell of a time just finding a comparable.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I appreciate any help - plan on sending to BGS, and also want to label it correctly lol.

The Black Rainbow Retro autos were very tough pulls - a case of a very rare, unnumbered series. I opened a 16-box master case in 2016 and hit 3 or 4 - 2 per 8-box inner. I think I only actually hit 1 rookie which flies against the odds cardboard connection has up, but it is what it is... The 'short-prints' or 'long-odds' cards were case hits. I hit Pavelski (Group A) and I've only ever seen mine and 1 other. I also hit Draisaitl (Group B) and sold that for $125 US, pre-pandemic.

Given that COMC shows 2 Matthews were sold (not sure if I did something different than you) and there is 1 sitting on epack, I'd estimate the print run to be ~25ish. Raw, I would expect that card to easily fetch over $2k. BGS graded, a 9 will be similar, but a 9.5 could go a bit higher would be my guess.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The Black Rainbow Retro autos were very tough pulls - a case of a very rare, unnumbered series. I opened a 16-box master case in 2016 and hit 3 or 4 - 2 per 8-box inner. I think I only actually hit 1 rookie which flies against the odds cardboard connection has up, but it is what it is... The 'short-prints' or 'long-odds' cards were case hits. I hit Pavelski (Group A) and I've only ever seen mine and 1 other. I also hit Draisaitl (Group B) and sold that for $125 US, pre-pandemic.

Given that COMC shows 2 Matthews were sold (not sure if I did something different than you) and there is 1 sitting on epack, I'd estimate the print run to be ~25ish. Raw, I would expect that card to easily fetch over $2k. BGS graded, a 9 will be similar, but a 9.5 could go a bit higher would be my guess.

Oh my fault. You're right, COMC is 2, going back 4+ years. That is nuts with a master case; Also confused why Marner was group A, and still stumped on the 2018 2k sale.

I'm the one that has it on ePack - Im planning on sending it to BGS (unless anyone would advise otherwise)... obviously centering and surface is a concern, just from an eye test/knowing Platinum, though it's tough to judge these from ePack.

I typically dont send in super short print cards graded (meaning sub /5), but the print run is unknown (I'd agree, 25 seems likely - but could probably get a rough estimate, just using the UD's odds list). I've been building up a Matthews PC after I weep over my Eichel collection lol (but that's another topic).

Thanks for the advice!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Daaaaaaang. That's a rare card!

Haha, I've seen you often (obviously) but also in other discussion groups. As a Sabres fan, love your Enroth collection, and well, collection as a whole lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

Oh my fault. You're right, COMC is 2, going back 4+ years. That is nuts with a master case; Also confused why Marner was group A, and still stumped on the 2018 2k sale.

I'm the one that has it on ePack - Im planning on sending it to BGS (unless anyone would advise otherwise)... obviously centering and surface is a concern, just from an eye test/knowing Platinum, though it's tough to judge these from ePack.

I typically dont send in super short print cards graded (meaning sub /5), but the print run is unknown (I'd agree, 25 seems likely - but could probably get a rough estimate, just using the UD's odds list). I've been building up a Matthews PC after I weep over my Eichel collection lol (but that's another topic).

Thanks for the advice!

I know there's a big price difference right now, but I'd grade it PSA if it were mine (and I wanted it slabbed). If you're a BGS guy for your PC, read no further. If you think, one day, you will sell the card, though, it's worth considering... Either a BGS 8 or PSA 8 is going to be an approximate 'raw' card, but a PSA 9 will beat the BGS 9 by a country mile and a PSA 10 will go over the top on a BGS 9.5, too. If you think it will BGS 10 Pristine/Black, then BGS is worth it otherwise I'd go PSA. **My opinion based on potential returns based on other cards.**

SCF Rewards
    Country

I know there's a big price difference right now, but I'd grade it PSA if it were mine (and I wanted it slabbed). If you're a BGS guy for your PC, read no further. If you think, one day, you will sell the card, though, it's worth considering... Either a BGS 8 or PSA 8 is going to be an approximate 'raw' card, but a PSA 9 will beat the BGS 9 by a country mile and a PSA 10 will go over the top on a BGS 9.5, too. If you think it will BGS 10 Pristine/Black, then BGS is worth it otherwise I'd go PSA. **My opinion based on potential returns based on other cards.**

Ideally, I would go with PSA, but I was inclined to go with BGS simply due to subgrades... Platinum is notorious for centering/surface issues, and it does look slightly off center.. maybe 65/35. I won't know until it's shipped anyways, and just go from there. I appreciate the advice!