Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post Celtics games are BLACKED OUT in China after Boston center Enes Kanter demanded freedom for Tibet

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Tibet-Xi.html

In what could become the NBA's second PR crisis in China in as many years, Boston Celtics games are being blacked out in the country after team center and human rights advocate Enes Kanter voiced his support for a free Tibet and criticized 'brutal dictator' Xi Jinping.

Kanter, who has also opposed the government in his native Turkey, tweeted a two-minute video of himself expressing support for Tibet and wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the image of the Dalai Lama, its exiled spiritual leader.

'I'm here to add my voice and speak out about what is happening in Tibet,' Kanter said. 'Under the Chinese government's brutal rule, Tibetan people's basic rights and freedoms are non-existent.

'They are not allowed to study and learn their language and culture freely. They are not allowed to travel freely. They are not allowed to access information freely. The Tibetan people are not even allowed to worship freely.'

Kanter, who did not play in Boston's double-overtime loss to the Knicks in New York on Wednesday, posted similar messages on his Instagram feed.

'I say, ''Shame on the Chinese government,''' Kanter said. 'The Chinese dictatorship is erasing Tibetan identity and culture.

Kanter concluded by addressing President Xi.

'Brutal dictator of China, Xi Jingping, I have a message for you and your henchmen,' Kanter said. 'I will say it again, and again, and again, loud and clear. I hope you hear me: Free Tibet, free Tibet, free Tibet.'

For Wednesday's season opener, he wore shoes emblazoned with the phrase 'Free Tibet' made by Baidiucao, a dissident China-born cartoonist and artist based in Australia.

Not only was he was pilloried on Chinese social media, but Kanter's name appeared to be blocked on the popular Weibo messaging platform in the communist nation.

Celtics games have already been marked as unavailable for replay on Tencent, the Chinese internet service. Upcoming Celtics broadcasts on Tencent have been canceled, according to The New York Times.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin told a news briefing on Thursday that Kanter was 'trying to get attention' and that his remarks 'were not worth refuting'.

'We will never accept those attacks to discredit Tibet's development and progress,' he said.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

He's probably the most courageous player in the NBA with his outspoken views. Others are activists for causes that honestly have far less at stake (Kyrie, LeBron, etc.). Americans think vaccines and BLM are huge, but try taking on all of China. Now that's a tough one.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Boston Celtics Boston Celtics New England Patriots

And having your home country imprison your family because they can't get you? This is banana land. He's stood tall against Turkey and China and deserves credit. And of course Go C's! Bleed Green!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Many will not say things against China as it will hurt their product book. I respect Enes for doing this but wonder what if anything is said to him from the NBA point of view. Also, it nice he is doing this but is he going to do a video or the people of Taiwan in the future or is that not on his radar.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

I think he has good intentions.
    Last edited by turnpipe; 11-30-2021 at 07:07 PM.