Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Duke Blue Devils

Hypothetical trade process

Admitted rookie to the forum here asking a rookie question about the card trading process, and more specifically about how to value your holdings. So, hypothetically, I have 30 cards in a vintage set I no longer want and someone is interested. I have tried ebay solds but not a huge amount of comparable sales. I have checked PSA pricing guide. I have looked at retail sales offerings from large online card sales website. I have researched grading scales and have tried to be very conservative and realisric about my cards grades. So I have a fair picture of value, and it frankly shocks me at how high these cards are valued, even an mid and low grading. Do I set a percentage of retail as an asking price in trade, or full retail? If the other party wants to buy, do I ask full retail? Any suggestions, directions, or just plain tips are very welcome. Thanks.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

@calsp3 Trading can be tricky. A lot of people trade using BV (book value), others choose eBay recent sales, and some use a common sense approach. It really depends on what you are comfortable with. For example, a Vince Young Topps Chrome RC could be valued at $5 (no idea if this is true). On eBay the card may not even sell due to saturation and shipping costs. On COMC there may be 10 listed from $1-10 dollars. So if you have 10 of them and try to trade for a $50 BV card it could be difficult. Same goes in reverse in a lot of cases for graded cards and hotter items. An example would be a Topps Adrian Peterson PSA 10 RC selling for $2000. Not many recent sales and BV significantly lower, but someone wanted it. I used to shop at a LCS that priced everything at 50% of high BV and another that charged full Beckett BV on most items. It’s definitely a spicy part of the hobby.

My advice would be to discuss with your partner. If you have to set a price, then overshoot and tell them you are willing to negotiate. If you are uncomfortable don’t be afraid to walk or tell them to come back later.
    Last edited by turnpipe; 11-07-2021 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Updated price

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The thing is if your happy with the deal then it really does not matter. Just do your research like your mentioning and come up with what you think is fair. Just make sure your getting stuff in return that holds value to your or truly fits your pc.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Duke Blue Devils

Thanks to both of you.
    I have been having the struggle that most who have personally collected their cards from youth are bound to have, which is an attachment to most if not all cards that transcends price. When the monetary enters then it somehow lessens the joy of my experience.
    I have noted before on the site I have quite a few vintage record albums which I rotate through listening to and enjoying both the imperfect, at times, sound and the wonderful tactile feeling of viewing, holding and the remembrances the now old and imperfect album covers give me.
    The same experience happens when viewing my ball cards.
    I will keep looking for those who will engage in vintage for vintage trades who seek cards for players or teams and are not centered on high PSA number set builds or monetary gain. In this realm I would feel more comfortable bartering and giving as much as receiving.
    Again, thank you guys so much for the kind direction.