The winner of Week 29's Show & Tell were GabbyGuy and 09232003, who will each receive 4 points in the standings. 2nd place goes to johnse27, who will receive 2 points.

Top 3 standings going into this final voting round:
@johnse27 - 66 @GabbyGuy - 64 @09232003 - 62

I will leave this thread up until Tuesday, Nov. 23rd.

GabbyGuy:

My entry and story...

Back in 2010, I was attending the big Toronto Expo. I hung out a lot at that Expo with Bruce Findlay, who at the time owned another online Sports card forum (Hobby Insider). He has since sold Hobby Insider to Jeremy Lee. Bruce and I both loved ITG products, so we went to their booth to crack some of their new products. Like most of the card company booths, if you broke their products at their booth, you would get a special redemption card for every box broken. That year, one of the products that you could get a special redemption card for breaking a box was ITG Superlative Volume 2. Back in 2010 I was into collecting Marian Gaborik big time. Everyone there (collectors and dealers) knew that. And would "tempt" me with nice Gaboriks whenever they'd see me. Didn't take much to tempt me back then though.

Anyway, Bruce and I were at the ITG booth and Bruce was opening a box of the new Superlative with Dr. Price right there watching. Bruce was funny when he broke products. He'd get so excited that you thought he had Parkinson's because his hands were shaking so hard. I was looking over his shoulder while he opened the box. Part way into the break, he screeched out loud like a little kid, and without batting an eye, just handed this card up over his head to me. He said, "This is for you...can you believe that? What are the odds? Of course, it's yours. Karma, baby!" It was just an unwritten thing between us, knowing that we dealt and helped each other's collection all the time. I would've done the same if I would have pulled a Richard Brodeur or Harold Snepsts card he coveted. I have had the card since that day. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

So here is that card that Bruce pulled right in front of me at the Expo. It was a huge card at the time!

ITG Superlative Volume 2 "Get Real 2" MeiGray Patch 1/1

--Curt

johnse27:

My Card this week is from the 2003-04 Classic Portraits set! During Covid lockdown last year I had a lot of time to search for cards as work was basically non existent and it was one of the better things to do. I was short two cards from the Classic Portraits set which were a Joe Thornton and Mario Lemieux Premium Portraits jersey cards /25. I found the Lemieux card on E-bay and was bidding on it and the value kept going up but finally I was able to get the card for my collection. A couple days later I looking in my in-box on one of the boards that I am a member on and realized that someone had messaged me about the card saying it was on e-bay. They subsequently e-mailed me again to say they had bid on it but had not won and was hoping I was the person to get it which I was. They apologized for bidding against me but had not heard from me and wanted me to get it.
I appreciated them looking after me and doing what they could to help. A few days later the following card and my submission this week arrived in the mail. The same person who had tried to get me the Lemieux card had found the Thornton card and sent it off to me at no charge. They had helped me complete the set with both the last cards. Some of you may know the person as HammerHawks on the boards but Eric had done this to help me out with my collection at no cost. That is why this hobby can me great at times because of people like that.

Here is the card and the complete Sub set of Premium Portraits.

09232003:

My entry for this week, its the 2015-16 Upper Deck Young Guns canvas Connor McDavid

It was just a few days before Christmas in 2016 and I was out shopping with my family, and my one daughter stayed with me and my other daughter went with my wife to shop in some different areas of the local Walmart.
It was my daughter that was with my wife that later told me she was in the toy and electronic area and found what she said was the very last hockey tin so she said she wanted to get it for in to put into my Christmas Stocking
My wife agreed and purchased it and was able to hide it from me until that Christmas morning. I opened the tin and was shocked to pull the McDavid on the 3rd pack into it. my hands were shaking and I was so happy to have pulled this and I told my daughters just how good a tin this was and then my wife told me that the tin was on sale too, only $24.99 CDN. Well to say it was my best pull and card to that point was for sure, still to this day I have not pulled such a great card out of a tin or blaster.