Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Card Photograph Advice

SCF Rewards
    Country

Card Photograph Advice

Hey,

I struggle with taking photos of my good cards. I've always got reflections of myself or the camera, and shining lights reflecting everywhere. How do you guys get such nice captures of your pulls?

Here's a latest example with two cards I pulled from a 2021 Donruss box:

2021_donruss_pulls.jpg

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Think a lot of the folks either use one of two options.

Scanners and some have those little photo light boxes.

I am sure some other folks will chime in. I am with you I just shoot with my phone and always have a reflection on the card somewhere.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

Yep I’m also just a phone guy and do my best to find an angle that give the best results with the least glare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

I think natural light works best if you’re gonna use your phone. Get near a window or something and have a clean background. Scanning is also an option, or some people take photos with the card standing up.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

I am far from a photog but I’ll elaborate on my personal “techniques” (for a lack of a better word).

If I am really trying to take a quality photo(s) of a card, which usually means I am going to sell it on eBay…. I will remove the card from any team bag, case/top loader and penny sleeve the card was in. This can sometimes help with glare and definitely make the card look clear and not as cloudy. Just be sure to take extra vigilance and watch your self to not damage the card as it’s very vulnerable at this time. I find I especially get better images of my graded cards when I take them out of the sleeve that I keep all my graded cards in to keep scratches off the case.

I will find a complementary or contrasting back ground to set the card on. My two normal objects of choice are the top of a 5k card storage box. This give me a clean white background. My second choice is a card players mat or breakers mat. They are called several different names but it’s basically a very large mouse pad. This gives me a black back ground.

As mentioned in my first post above sometimes I have to play with the angle I hold my phone to help eliminate glare and sometimes I have to find other locations. My kitchen counter has lights directly above that help and sometimes they hurt. So I play around with them off and on to see what works best. One of the places I found I usually get the best photos is in my wood shop because it has lots of good lighting from several lights and from much higher location but it’s inconvenient to go out there most of the time.

Sometimes I have to prop up one end of the card and lots of times it don’t take a lot. Leaning one end of the card on a top loader could be all that’s needed to remove all glare. As the other poster said, standing a card up vs laying it down can help.

Not sure if any of this will help any but it’s my go to bag of tricks for the best photos I can get.

One more thing on my eBay photos. I do all the above but I also will take a pic of the card in what ever protective sleeve or case the card will be shipped in and do that just so the buyer knows the card isn’t just loose in a box in my collection. Not that I think that influences a buyer but eh that’s my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Look on Amazon for a "photo box" or "mini photo box". Something like this. I personally haven't used this specific one though - https://www.amazon.com/DUCLUS-Shooti.../dp/B07TNPZ6HR

Then maybe use something like this to hold the card up. I've used similar ones to these but not this exact one. The cool thing is that you can use 1 for the photo box, then the rest as displays for around your desk area. https://www.amazon.com/Hipiwe-Displa...07TBCM21Y?th=1

Personally I scan everything in with a Epson Perfection v370, then clean up the image in PhotoShop. The Epson does cards and graded cards really well since it uses a CCD sensor instead of the more common (and less expensive) CIS sensor. You can read more about it here - http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...nner-type.html. If you plan on scanning AND you want to scan graded cards, a CCD-based scanner is the only way to go. However scanners struggle with heavy foil cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for all the tips and ideas! My Dad bought me a cheap-o light box and I will try it out sometime soon and post info about my findings.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for all the tips and ideas! My Dad bought me a cheap-o light box and I will try it out sometime soon and post info about my findings.

@CardCollectingKid

Let us know how it goes and if you really like it feel free to share a link to what kind you bought. Thanks,

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

@CardCollectingKid

Let us know how it goes and if you really like it feel free to share a link to what kind you bought. Thanks,

DON

Thanks! We got the Glendan 12"x12" box.
    https://amzn.to/3KTT9nx

I plan to do a video review sometime soon.
    Last edited by CardCollectingKid; 01-30-2022 at 09:16 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ok, I uploaded my review of the photobox. I show a normal photo and one in the box and I think the photobox is far superior! Check out my review here and please let me know what you think:
    Last edited by CardCollectingKid; 01-30-2022 at 09:16 PM.