Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oilers!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Oilers!

Officially linked to Carey Price, whatever that means. According to a post on Instagram which I can't find now.

Also, Oiler's Gm Ken Holland has confirmed that he has talked to Evander Kane's agent.

If they had cap space for Price seems a no-brainer and could make Kane behave, that would be a miracle. Maybe the Hab's retain partial salary. Would take a great prospect or 2 in return I would guess. Makes sense if the Habs are all in on rebuilding and the Oil need a goalie that can take them far in the play-offs.

Considering how hard it is to improve rosters these days I can see them offering Kane a minimum salary deal.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The only team that's officially linked to Carey Price is the Montreal Canadiens. He can't be traded unless he waives his NMC, he's still on LTIR, and the nature of his contract makes an in-season trade very difficult to engineer, especially since the Oilers and the Habs alike have zero cap space, which means a trade has to be money-in/money-out, which isn't easy for a $10.5M goalie, even if they do retain.. Oh, and the Habs don't have a General Manger.

There's going to be a lot of questions and rumours and speculation because a) the Oilers badly need an upgrade on Smith/Koskinen, and b) many people want to see Carey get a Cup. He's the best option that's conceivably available, but it's all moot unless he's interested in going there.

The Kane thing is an interesting angle.

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

there is no way Montreal eats any of Price's contract - not with 4 more years left after this. 1 or 2 years - maybe

They will have to move one of Ceci or Barrie (meh) - Koskinen (of course) - one of Puljvarji or Yamamoto AND at least 1 - 1st, if not 2 1sts.

and this is make the cap work, this season.

If you can figure out a way for RNH to waive his NMC, then its a bit easier this season and long term but that only makes sense for cap reasons IMO.

as for EKane9 - 1 yr/750k - he'll be motivated to play toward getting another contract next season (low risk, high reward)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sources from another article say that Price has no interest in a rebuild and wants to win a cup.
    Colorado appears like a more likely destination.

Link:

https://www.beerleagueheroes.com/edm...-oilers-again/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Whatever the case, a move makes sense for the Habs, it makes sense for a contender, and it makes sense for Price.

Hopefully he goes to Boston for a couple of pucks. lol
    and yes I know that won't happen but it sure would be funny.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Whatever the case, a move makes sense for the Habs, it makes sense for a contender, and it makes sense for Price.

Hopefully he goes to Boston for a couple of pucks. lol
    and yes I know that won't happen but it sure would be funny.

There's not many things that would make me want to have a bonfire with my PC.... LOL

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Heard a 1 year / $1.5m deal with Kane has been reached by the Oilers... but the NHL's new investigation over his COVID protocol violation is the hold up. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. We'll find out in the coming days.

Price to Edmonton is a trade that the internet seems to think will happen, or at least thinks should happen. On the surface - it makes sense. The goaltending in Edmonton has been bad this year. it's been mediocre (at best) for more than a decade. Carey Price is an elite goalie.

Mike Smith is a good goalie, whose old & injury prone. He had a great 2020-21, but there was no way in the world the Oilers should have counted on him to repeat that season this year (let alone for two years.... the length of his contract extension). Mikko Koskinen (IMO) isn't nearly as bad as his critics say he is... but he's simply NOT a #1 goalie in the NHL. He's good enough to be "the guy" for a couple of weeks, but he can't handle a heavy workload. He's not a guy that should be playing more than 30-35 games a year. Stuart Skinner is (at best) a guy who is not ready to be in the NHL (personally, I don't believe he'll ever be more than a middle of the road backup, but who knows?)

As an Oiler fan, would I like to see Carey Price between the pipes for the Oilers? Of course I would. Thing is, there is absolutely no way to make his $10.5m salary work this year, next year, or any year after that. I could write about why I wouldn't pay any goalie $10.5m a season.... but I won't get into that right now.

If Montreal wants to move him (because rebuild) and Price wants to be moved (because he doesn't want play through a rebuild) and if Edmonton believed he was healthy - it looks like a fit before you factor in salaries.

The Oilers have to send back Koskinen (which shouldn't be an issue. MTL needs a goalie for the rest of the year, and then he's a UFA). There's a $6m difference in salary. Realistically, the only way it works is if they can get a third team involved.... Montreal retains $3-$3.5m, the third team retains $3-$3.5m, and the Oilers get the balance.

Koskinen + young roster player(s) (former first round picks) + some combo of picks & prospects: Edmonton could probably come up with a deal that's worth it for Montreal (moving that cap hit will be tough, if they can find a deal that works... they may be happy to take it). What other team is going to want to eat $3m (or more) a year, for a pro-rated chuck of this season... and the next four years? How much would this cost in terms of assets? (Note: It would actually be a cost savings, since his salary is lower than $10.5.... so you MIGHT be able to find a taker).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Notre Dame Fighting Irish San Francisco Giants
    COMC Cards For Sale

They could trade for him, suddenly hes injured until the playoffs, then magiclly goes to kucherovs doctor and is fit for the playoffs. Gives them a summer to figure the cap out
    always looking for
    John Gibson
    jamie drysdale
    Devon levi
    Yarasov askarov

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

They could trade for him, suddenly hes injured until the playoffs, then magiclly goes to kucherovs doctor and is fit for the playoffs. Gives them a summer to figure the cap out

The way the last 6 weeks have gone.... the playoffs don't seem to be a lock anymore, lol.

To your point though, yes. They could probably find a way to make it work in the very short term, if he continues to sit out.

Next year? These are the contracts Edmonton has that are over $4m McDavid ($12.5) Nurse ($9.25) Draisaitl (8.5) Hyman (5.5) Keith (5.5) Hopkins ($5.125) Barrie ($4.5).

That's a total of $50.875m on 7 players. If you add Price at $10.5 to that.... you have less than $20m for 11 skaters, a goalie, and three guys in the press box. It's impossible.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Another night, another poor performance from the goalie, this time Skinner. 5 goals against and an .800SV%

McD’s post game availability was…uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast